DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Hey @riss800 I forgot. We actually were on a drivable trail in Rothrock.

I dont know how I screwed up my trip report from our last trip there.

I guess I need to get my notebook out and do a better job.

Maybe Monday my son and I can hit the trails. Mom has work. Hhhmmm.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Spent some time in Rothrock today. We took a cruise past the 2 motorized sites we are interested in. Site 1 was empty site 3 was occupied.

Tried to head out the same way we went the one time down past Tussey MT. Ski resort...but the road was closed for bridge work. I knew this...but forgot. We got to go back out through the forest to a different exit.

We took the trip spur of the moment. We decided to stay in a hotel. Gonna hit BESF in the morning.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
My son and I will be exploring the forest this weekend. Going to scout out site #6 and 7.

Hoping to camp for the night. Got an email sent to see what is available.

Can not wait to be off the beaten path.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
We started our weekend camping trip here.
20200801_095927.jpg
I am impressed with how you SUV guys pack...20200801_100443.jpg
Cause we had our truck packed and had to out the bikes on the hitch. I could have made better use of space...but still impressed how you get your stuff loaded in them. We may take our Jeep next time...so already thinking about condensing.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
We had a bit of a mishap so i didn't get to explore the other sites.

I do however get down another drivable trail here.

Leading Ridge Trail is a 4x4 high clearance road. This weekend no 4x4 was needed but you definitely need high clearance.
20200801_110713.jpg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
The sites we did go past were occupied.

Interestingly, there was a family camped along the road in a non designated spot.

Anxious to find out if they added a site or they just decided to make their own.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Spent Sunday afternoon exploring and scouting here.

In my other thread Rothrock to Bald Eagle connection I made mention of how construction changed the connection. Well it changed again.

Originally you just crossed 322. Then you had to drive a bit on pavement to cross under and come back up. Well they now have that road in construction also. You now actually have to travel on 322 to make the connection. Not terrible...but not near as "remote" feeling.

We checked out Penn Roosevelt campground. It is an 18 site campground open all year. It is first come first serve with a 12 dollar fee. An interesting state park for sure...but an option for an unplanned overnight stay.

We found the usual snow covered roads. So if you are heading out...snow and it's evil cousin ice are still there and can make the trip "interesting"

We checked out Motorized sites 5 and 4.

We then drove over to Greenwood Furnace to check out that campground.

Still need to get eyes on site 6 and 7. But I have a trip planned soon. So should get that recon done soon.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
2 more weekends and we will be camping in Rothrock. We are taking the travel trailer and are planning to just relax.

Good news is there are some nesting eagles in the area now...and there are 2 orienteering courses nearby.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Enjoyed 4 days in Rothrock. No other people around. It was hot and dusty bit we had a ice cold stream to cool off in next to the site.

We just spent the weekend enjoying the area right around the site.

Very pleased with the location. There are some camps nearby...but was very surprised how little traffic and noise there was.

Beautiful night sky to enjoy.

Will be back to this one.

Attachments

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Made our trip to Rothrock site 7. Definitely my favorite so far. Who am I kidding...they are all my favorite...but this one was secluded. Great hiking and complete darkness at night.

Attachments

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Went out to Rothrock today.

Just to enjoy some dirt road therapy.

Attachments

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Hahaha, interestingly, my last update was at the same Vista I am about to show.

Went out to Rothrock over the holiday weekend.

Did some scouting for hunting spots and just enjoyed some dirt road therapy.

Tried out my newest app...huntstand...and found a pretty useful layer for our hobby on my US Topo Map App. The Open Street Maps or OSM layers.

They worked great for finding a road I was looking for.

Details of the trip.
Screenshot_20221127-151932.pngScreenshot_20221127-151845.pngScreenshot_20221127-151738.png

The road I was looking for...missed the fact the gate does not open until 4DEC. But, even through the fog...I found itIMG_20221127_123526.jpg

Some cool app features trying to scout the road. It is not listed on the Purple Lizard Map as it is a new road that the game commission added to the open to travel list.
Screenshot_20221124-170756.pngScreenshot_20221124-202657.pngScreenshot_20221124-202816.png