Rank V

Enthusiast III

Catlett, VA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dean
Member #

If there is so much creativity and innovation going on in the world of RTT, why do they all look the same?

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
My first RTT was just a basic soft cover tent that mounts on top. My newest version of the same tent in hard cover has adjustable LED lighting, more interior storage pockets, an interior zipper that can mount some insulated wall blankets, locking fasteners for the cover, better ladder and mattress, a cover for the ladder so it doesn't chaff when closed. So, there are improvements going on as field testing and feedback comes around. Since they are to do one job in particular there are only so many configurations but there are quite a few.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Is it because the soft ones are based on the same original design? The differences can be subtle. I got mine when they first started importing them years ago. I think there was only one or two manufactures at the time and it looked like one copied the other. Up until the last few years, all the soft shell tents looked exactly the same. The hard shell had a few variations.
A few weeks ago, I was at an Off-Road expo looking at some. I thought all the venders brought the same ones but they were mostly diffrent manufactures. Looking closely you could see the differences.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yes, they do all look alike, from a distance. Up close and personal, the differences are obvious between top shelf units and all the run of the mill offerings. If you’re in the market, spend the big bucks once, you’ll not regret it 5-10-15 years later.