Franklin, Connecticut
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Novosad
Member #

Service Branch
EMS
So I’m getting ready to get a new vehicle here very soon and I’m starting to gather build ideas. One of which is an upgraded roof rack no matter what. However I’m looking into a rooftop tent as a possible option as well. Problem is, I plan on taking my kayak with me 99.9% of the time. Water is definitely going to be incorporated into many of my trips to be planned and my kayak and fishing gear is coming with. Now first question would be, what type of roof rack would achieve best of both worlds? Touring, modular, flat? I understand that it’s possible with needing to take the kayak off to setup the tent. However, is there a way to do it so the kayak can stay on when the tent goes up? Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated. Vehicle in question is going to be an FJ cruiser.

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
I have the same issue. I’m building a hard cover for my RTT which opens to the rear. I’ll carry two kayaks on the sides of the hard cover standing on their sides.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

A lot will depend on what type of rooftop tent you end up getting, what material its top is made of, and what strength it has. If you want to add a rack to the top of the tent, the tent will have to be a hardshell tent, of course.

I wouldn't hesitate to put a set of racks on mine, if I needed to, like a two-bar Thule rack or similar, one with mounts you can bolt through the top of your hardshell tent. I would reinforce all mounting points on the inside with a backing plate, and use a butyl tape under the rack mounts is to prevent leaks into the tent. A good RV roof type lap sealant like Dicor is wise, too, to seal all entry points and bolt heads. I've used both of these products over the years, once to install a roof vent in my van six and a half years ago. It's still doing great with no leaks, no problems.

How heavy is your kayak? Most canoes and kayaks are too heavy to leave on most rooftop tents when they're up, depending on the strut system used, but it might work. Worth considering too, is how much wind surface area will the kayak create up there, both for transport and if left on when the tent is up. It could contribute a lot to your tent getting shook around pretty hard in a wind. When you're sleeping up there, even the slightest movement feels magnified.

I thought about keeping my 14' canoe (only 28lbs) on top of my RTT on my trailer, but so far have opted to keep it between trailer and rack, as shown below. Keeps it below the van's roofline and out of the windstream going down the highway.

fuelingup_roaddude_2211-900.jpg

Good luck, hope you find a suitable solution.

~ Road

Reactions: OverlandEasternCT

TkMeWest

Rank 0

Contributor I

Michigan
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Schlecht
Check out the ikamper x-cover, can option to have cross bars added to the top to load more on top of the tent. However the load has to be removed before opening the tent. I really like Road's trailer setup!

Reactions: OverlandEasternCT

OverlandEasternCT

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklin, Connecticut
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Novosad
Member #

Service Branch
EMS
I’ll check it out! I’ve had some custom ideas as well such as maybe having a system that goes above the tent and swings out to put the tent up. With it swinging out I could maybe make a canopy out of it too. Just some ideas

TkMeWest

Rank 0

Contributor I

Michigan
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Schlecht
I also just stumbled across Roofnest, some of which also have optional crossbar attachments.