Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I personally do not like the power supply via the cigarette plug/ socket. Especially not when adapters, e.g. to USB, come into play. The connection is just too wobbly for my demands and need. And that is not only bad with electricity, but also dangerous. I always favor a direct connection (possibly with switch) or a high-quality (and dust and waterproof plug in the places where that makes sense) plug/ socket combination. And of course everything properly fused.

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank VIII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I personally do not like the power supply via the cigarette plug/ socket. Especially not when adapters, e.g. to USB, come into play. The connection is just too wobbly for my demands and need. And that is not only bad with electricity, but also dangerous. I always favor a direct connection (possibly with switch) or a high-quality (and dust and waterproof plug in the places where that makes sense) plug/ socket combination. And of course everything properly fused.
Hi. I have several sockets and 3 batteries in my car. For my roof top tent I have tried several options and decided against any electricity cables etc. dangerous, not required, have a power bank and rechargeable led lights and they do the job. Best. Dimitri

Reactions: El-Dracho

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I built a power breakout box that lives in my rooftop tent. The power cord runs to my fuse block in my trailer, through a solar cable gland in the roof of my trailer.

It has 3 cigarette sockets, and 3 dual usb qc sockets. We use it to power two cpaps, and charge two phones and my daughters tablet, as well as run the USB powered light in the rooftop tent. It's worked very well so far.

Reactions: El-Dracho