Rooftop Tent Compatible Rack for ‘08 Jeep WK

• HTML tutorial

DirigoOverland-Nate

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Maine, USA
Member #

Guys, need some help here from Grand Cherokee owners. I’m working with a stock ‘08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with stock roof rails and cross bars. The goal is an eventual rooftop tent but I recognize the stock roof equipment is a no-go. A few questions for those who have experience with this type of install:

1. I’m assuming the stock rails and cross bars need to be replaced. Any suggestions for budget options?

2. Does a cargo rack need to be installed prior to mounting the rooftop tent? If so, any suggestions?

3. Are most rooftop tents compatible with most rails/racks?

Thanks in advance guys. There’s a ton of knowledge on these boards and I look forward to any help you could give.

Cheers,

Nate

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Ichibahn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Factory roof rack ---> Yakima cross bar (replace the factory cross bar) ---> roof top tent bracket and you're good to go.

Ichibahn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Try as low as possible to mount the roof top tent. Total clearance and vehicle handling need to be considerate. Lower mounting is a lot easier to setup at the campsite, don't have to climb up and down the the bumper, side step or tire.
But not to low if you plan to use the annex room. My RTT required minimum height 73" to properly setup the annex room.

Reactions: DirigoOverland-Nate