Rooftop Cargo Carrier - Experience Opinions?

• HTML tutorial

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I am considering trying a roof top cargo carrier just not sure if they are up for the task. Does anyone have experience using one? Pluses, minuses, opinions? Seems you would still need to pack everything into separate bags.

Thanks

Generic picture not model I'd find on one CL

vicali

Rank IV

Advocate II

Had a Skybox 2100 on the Forester when we had little kids, to carry their strollers, playpens, diapers etc, etc,

It was huge and swallowed gear like nobody's business.. also killed mileage.. We bought it used for $500 - used it for three years non stop, and then sold it easily for $500 again. Win win win.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Yeah not worried about MPG (Diesel Land Cruiser RV) more concerned about trail duties, dust, dirt, weather, branches. Do like your input about holding gear! Been seeing many on CL between 75 - 200 not bad.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I have not been a fan of these, as I have found them to be too restrictive as far as what you can load in them. The advantage is they are lockable, water tight and somewhat more aerodymaic. Friends who have them all wish they had gotten the larger model. I have used in the past a basket rack. So not lockable storage, not water tight, but you have the ability to load them up, often with any type of container and can attach bikes, ladders etc. It is nice to expend over the hood and behind. The other down side is wind noise. This is largely why Frontrunner and Rino Racks etc... are so low profile. Taking these on and off never seem to be easy, and size/weight matter. I have had good luck with Yaikma load warrior with extention.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I've used the RoofBag soft storage bag on two cross-country trips. We took our daughter's stuff to college in Seattle fall 2015 and 2016.

There's a lot of room in one, it is waterproof, and best of all, you can remove it and fold it up when not needed, so MPG doesn't take a constant hit. It takes a little time to pack compared to a Skybox or similar, but it isn't there the entire trip unless needed.

https://www.roofbag.com

badmnky

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

PNW E. WA
Member #

I don't think my skybox would hold up off road, it still let's in dust etc. as it's not a sealed unit. Mine came with a mat for floor and a net, but I don't think the tie downs would last being pulled on off road. I think you'd be better suited to get a rack/basket and use some type of weather sealed containers for any gear you throw up there.

I just assumed you would use it off-road. If your plan is to just stuff cargo in it for daily driving, then go for it. I love my skybox for long highway trips and such to free up cabin space. I used to travel a lot for work and had to carry a lot with me, the box allowed me to avoid putting the seats down, then I could have passengers.

Posted via mobile.

Reactions: 1derer

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I've used the RoofBag soft storage bag on two cross-country trips. We took our daughter's stuff to college in Seattle fall 2015 and 2016.

There's a lot of room in one, it is waterproof, and best of all, you can remove it and fold it up when not needed, so MPG doesn't take a constant hit. It takes a little time to pack compared to a Skybox or similar, but it isn't there the entire trip unless needed.

https://www.roofbag.com

I am a big fan of this for the reasons stated.

Reactions: kennwood

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Huge fan of these cargo boxes. No issues with my Thule and it's been with us many miles off road. I've debated reindorcing the mounting points but turns out i dont have to. Don't notice the wind noise and don't notice much of a drop in milieage. They are lockable, fairly waterproof and dust proof. They can hold a huge amount of gear. I usually put light and bulky items inside like sleeping bags, folding chairs, tents, sleeping pads, etc. They usually have internal straps to hold down heavier items but since I don't put heavy stuff I've never used them. I will continue to use them as it as a great addition to my rig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: VDawg1115

Kaimana

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Sur
Member #

I have a Thule Outbound. Picked it up as something I could pack extra gear into when the weather becomes an issue. While advertised to "keep gear dryer longer" I believe I found its limitations after putting it through a 12 hr. road trip with very heavy rain and snow. The bag held up well but the stitching that was in contact with the roof top basket allowed water to soak through. Just know its not 100% water resistant and if you don't want wet gear, think about adding some protection.
Another thing to note is if you have a basket and use either the Thule outbound or interstate you are reducing the amount of gear you can pack in the basket. Its not as efficient as it could be. I think Thule could improve the design.

Attachments

X_brad

Rank 0

Contributor I

I never considered these until I saw this review from Gizzard Stone who uses them while overlanding.

I've been looking at some used ones as well, waiting to take my new xterra on a camping trip to see if I need one or not.

Reactions: 1derer