Rooftop Access Ladder: Use it, or a waste of money?

• HTML tutorial

Bart

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Granville, Ohio
Member #

Newbie from Ohio here on the site, #2894. Have a question about a rack for a Jeep JK 4 door. I have been wanting to purchase but I'm not sure between two brands which would be the better one. Gobi Stealth or the Front Runner Slim Line? Both seem popular with Jeeps, Both have there Pros and Cons. With a 3.5" lift and 35" tires and at 5'6"I definitely need a ladder. No kids in this camp to help pull items off the top. I like the Front Runner for it is Aluminum and has many attachments for secure mounting options plus a inch or two lower. One con is no ladder like the Gobi has it attached. But the Gobi has a long liking with the Overland crowd as being very strong and well suited for off road, plus it has a ladder. On the down side it is said to be noisier, weight is more, height is more by an inch. I have not decided on a RTT or purchasing a Trailer so not saying I will need a RTT on not, that will be the next request for input. Any thoughts that would help?
Just a quick note: I decided to go with a Front Runner Slim Line rack, with out a ladder. I will modify or build my own side mounted ladder once I have the rack installed. The people at Front Rack where great to work with and shipping was with in a day, no waiting. Now what can I buy with the money I saved? Off road Trailer Camper is next on the list!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Update: My Gobi ladder and heavier replacement struts arrived today. I won't mount it until I receive the PrinSu roof rack and get it mounted.

The ladder seems well made, with a good thick powder coat.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

I've also been using the methods described in previous posts to get access to my roof rack. Standing on rear tire, standing on the rear seats. I haven't tried standing on the windowsill as I'm afraid my 230lbs would break something. Eventually I would like to get ladder mounted on the side towards the rear of the rig. Probably integrate it with a custom rear bumper that wraps around the back and extends towards the rear wheel wells.

A quick search online and found some pics similar to what I'd like.

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

I like my Gobi ladder a lot. People complain the step width is a little too dainty but it works fine for me, I don't have big feet (odd considering I'm one of the tallest guys in my family lol). My ARB rear bumper offers a great platform for a first step so that is a benefit too. I plan to have door hinge steps made for mine since I like having access to all points of my rack

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I didn't like my ladder. I have a 3.5" paired w/ 35's on a JKu, so that MBRP has to be 7' in the air. The slider to rear tire two-step works perfectly for me and my rear bumper has a step-like area on each side, giving me three sided access. I make a point of keeping light gear up there to keep the COG down. I started with hard cases, but I'll be damned if I'm asking my boyfriend for help, so I switched to drybags and a big soft side.

Cros

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

VA
Member #

Rhino Rack makes an extendable ladder that you can store in the car and extend when you need it. I haven't had a chance to try t, but it's on my wish list.

My Jeep Renegade doesn't have ladder space.