Rooftop Access Ladder: Use it, or a waste of money?

• HTML tutorial

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I'm considering replacing my Thule crossbars and Yakima roof basket with a full-length roof rack. Currently, to access the basket, I stand on a door sill, rear bumper, tire, or occasionally the window frame of a rolled-down window. With a full length rack, I could access the entire area using a lift gate mounted ladder.

My question, for those who have a ladder, is do you really use it as you initially expected, getting on the roof to load/tie down/etc, or is it a purchase that you probably wouldn't have made if you were doing it again. With the 4Runner, I'd also need to add heavier duty struts for the lift gate.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

Im not a fan of the ladder on my FJ cruiser it's pretty useless. @Mirek has a gobi rack and ladder on his 4runner and it's actually nice to use, you can climb on the roof and move your stuff around.

tom

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
I've got a Safety Devices rack on my Land Rover D1 (Similar rack to Voyager or Baja Rack) and a ladder on the rear door. I'd say "Yes", I do use the ladder to gain access to the top of the rack. I have Pelican boxes and other car top containers that are too heavy when loaded that I access from on top. Some stuff I can access by standing on the rear bumper but to get on top (I'm 6'2" and "big boned" ;-) the rear ladder is key.

I'm also looking forward to sliders with a "nerf" extension to stand on for better reach from the sides... but that's a different story.... :-)

Good luck,

Tom

Reactions: Jose

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I just ordered the stealth Gobie rack myself with a free ladder, free wind deflector, and a extra free ladder as a extra free accessory promotion that they are having this month. Should work just fine for when I send the boys up on the roof to organize stuff around. [emoji12]

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thanks guys!

At 5' 8", it is a long ways up to strap stuff down, get into the RoofBag, etc. I do have sliders with steps, but that only gets me so high. When I was strapping down the RoofBag prior to our last Seattle trip, I had to roll down the windows in the back doors and stand on the window sill to load the bag and thread the straps. That's probably not good for the door hinges or window trim...

I really appreciate the input! @O.Dfj @tom @ColoradoPacific @Jose

Reactions: tom and Jose

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I don't have a ladder, but I really want one. The problem is that I don't want it on the liftgate.

I have come up with an idea for a partial exo-cage/rack setup over the rear cargo area that would integrate with a body-mounted rack on the front part of the rig. The exo-cage would act as a ladder up each side of the rig.

I probably won't ever build it due to time constraints, but it's fun to think about.

Reactions: awolfnspirit

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

@Steve I'm 6'2" and even with a stock jeep I can't get to anything on the roof with ease, and now that I'm getting a 2.5" Old Man Emu HD lift kit it won't make it any easier. Lol That's another reason why I opted for the second free ladder. I've also been keeping my eye on these door hinge steps by Kargo Masters that are made for the Jeep. So that should also help me out when the boys are helping me on the roof rack I can be standing one foot on the doors and the other foot on the rock guards to give them a hand on loading and unloading.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Those look almost like dirtbike foot pegs.
I know right? But I've seen some YouTuber that have them and they really come in handy. Anything for this 43 yr old man not to bust my a$$ Ill take especially if it makes it easier to get stuff on and off the rack. Lol

tom

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
@Steve I'm 6'2" and even with a stock jeep I can't get to anything on the roof with ease, and now that I'm getting a 2.5" Old Man Emu HD lift kit it won't make it any easier. Lol That's another reason why I opted for the second free ladder. I've also been keeping my eye on these door hinge steps by Kargo Masters that are made for the Jeep. So that should also help me out when the boys are helping me on the roof rack I can be standing one foot on the doors a the other on rock guards to give them a hand on loading and unloading.

I met these guys at TepuiFest -Nice folks and quality gear. They have a ton of other accessories as well and seemed to be really well made.

tom

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
You mean kickouts? Or tree smashers? Haha!

My sliders are wide enough to double as steps/running boards for side access to my roof rack. I can also just climb up into the truck bed though...
"A rose by any other name..."
Yeah, those things ;-)

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@Jose I've seen those pegs on other threads, and the look like a great idea! Your second ladder: Are they side mounted? I can't see a need for two on the rear of the vehicle.

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

@Jose I've seen those pegs on other threads, and the look like a great idea! Your second ladder: Are they side mounted? I can't see a need for two on the rear of the vehicle.
@Steve It gets mounted on the passenger rear side like the pic below. I also got it as free accessory and I know it's kind of funny but the boys 9 and 6 helped me pick the free ladder. Like my 6 yr Jacob said hey dad now I got a ladder to climb on the jeep and Nick has one, also we won't fight to see who goes up first. I just lost it laughing!!!

Last edited:

awolfnspirit

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Layton, Utah
Member #

I think the ladder is needed. I've got a Yakima roof rack on my Grand Cherokee WK and would like one. Trying to find one that would go over the back side windows or one that could swing up with the back hatch. Still searching...

jerdog53

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
Well I have the OEM roof rack and OEM ladder and use it every time I get on the roof. I also use it to hang the Trasharoo bag on....

Bart

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Granville, Ohio
Member #

Newbie from Ohio here on the site, #2894. Have a question about a rack for a Jeep JK 4 door. I have been wanting to purchase but I'm not sure between two brands which would be the better one. Gobi Stealth or the Front Runner Slim Line? Both seem popular with Jeeps, Both have there Pros and Cons. With a 3.5" lift and 35" tires and at 5'6"I definitely need a ladder. No kids in this camp to help pull items off the top. I like the Front Runner for it is Aluminum and has many attachments for secure mounting options plus a inch or two lower. One con is no ladder like the Gobi has it attached. But the Gobi has a long liking with the Overland crowd as being very strong and well suited for off road, plus it has a ladder. On the down side it is said to be noisier, weight is more, height is more by an inch. I have not decided on a RTT or purchasing a Trailer so not saying I will need a RTT on not, that will be the next request for input. Any thoughts that would help?

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Old post but just seeing it. I use my ladder alot. I also like using the rock sliders as a step to walk around the side of the rig to strap stuff down. Dave says my gobi is an expensive tripod for a camera. HAHA.

I say get the ladder.