MooseCrank

Rank 0

Contributor I

Iowa, USA
First Name
Bo
Last Name
Bower
I am new to Overlanding and coming in general. I would love to know what rooftop tents you guys run and or, truck bed campers.

Advice would be much appreciated!

jjsports

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Oakdale,Ca
First Name
Jaime
Last Name
Jimenez
Member #

Hi MooseCrank, I am too a new member! Two days new in fact, lol.... But I thought I would share this with you, I just bought a roof top Silverwing clam shell tent from Costco.com. I have been doing a lot of research because the cost to a rooftop can be very pricey for sure and I wanted to get my bang for my buck! For many years we’ve camped in tents on the ground and at my age “55” that’s getting old quick. What made me go with the Silverwing brand was their customer service, prior to making the purchase I had a lot of questions as far as mounting,weight capacity and accessories available. They were above and beyond with a quick response to my questions and plus the added factor of having Costco’s awesome return policy should something go heywire! That’s my two cent and good luck with your decision.

Sincerely,

JJ

Reactions: alexdnick

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
I am running probably the most common (Tepui) other than a CVT, and I love it. They have sheets made specifically for the tent if you want to and have the $$$ for that. And atleast with this one I can just close my sleeping bag up in the tent and forget about it.

As well as the “windows” have no leaks when shut, and I’ve never had a problem with and of the zippers ever catching.

And best of all, for some that is 6ft tall, enough leg room.

Any major tent, and probably any tent will be fine just read the reviews. And make sure the dimensions are suited to your needs.

Last edited:

MooseCrank

Rank 0

Contributor I

Iowa, USA
First Name
Bo
Last Name
Bower
Awesome advice guys! Thank you. Never even heard of the Costco’s silverwing. I will check them out for sure.

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Awesome advice guys! Thank you. Never even heard of the Costco’s silverwing. I will check them out for sure.
I edited my post cause my phone autocorrected me saying “I can just close my sleeping bag up in it” to “I can’t” lol. Sorry bout that.

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

FYI..........if looking at Tepui at all REI is doing a 20% off one item thru May 27. You do have to be a member though. I didn't see anything in the fine details about tents not being included or a limit on money off. I'll have to do some more reading on that though. If true, it may be worth to pay their $20 membership fee, which is actually a one time fee and it's a lifetime membership. Plus next spring you'd get a 10% dividend back (for use at REI) on anything you purchase through them. So I am thinking that I'm probably looking at $420ish back by the time it's all said and done. Plus another $12-13 back on my credit card.

You could even one up all that and get an REI credit card. $100 gift card after first purchase plus 5% back on anything purchased there. Now granted the gift card and dividend have to be used there...........but who doesn't love shopping at REI?

PLUS FREE SHIPPING if you pick it up at the store.

Not affiliated with REI other than a member who likes shopping there.

I need to double check the fine print again, but just a thought!

Reactions: MooseCrank

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
FYI..........if looking at Tepui at all REI is doing a 20% off one item thru May 27. I didn't see anything in the fine details about tents not being included or a limit on money off. I'll have to do some more reading on that though. If true, it may be worth to pay their $20 membership fee, which is actually a one time fee and it's a lifetime membership. Plus next spring you'd get a 10% dividend back (for use at REI) on anything you purchase through them. So I am thinking that I'm probably looking at $420ish back by the time it's all said and done. Plus another $12-13 back on my credit card.

You could even one up all that and get an REI credit card. $100 gift card after first purchase plus 5% back on anything purchased there. Now granted the gift card and dividend have to be used there...........but who doesn't love shopping at REI?

PLUS FREE SHIPPING if you pick it up at the store.

Not affiliated with REI other than a member who likes shopping there.

I need to double check the fine print again, but just a thought!
When I look online it doesn’t seem to me like the Tepui items such as the tents are directly on sale.

However I agree the membership is cheap, and so worth it, and if you are starting to buy gear for overlanding/camping, you’ll definitely be going back to REI, and with the membership you can go to their garage sales. Their garage sales are used returned gear, that is still useable and drastically cut down. Yeti coolers 25%+ off with just a busted latch, tents/coats/boots with easy fixes.

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

When I look online it doesn’t seem to me like the Tepui items such as the tents are directly on sale.

However I agree the membership is cheap, and so worth it, and if you are starting to buy gear for overlanding/camping, you’ll definitely be going back to REI, and with the membership you can go to their garage sales. Their garage sales are used returned gear, that is still useable and drastically cut down. Yeti coolers 25%+ off with just a busted latch, tents/coats/boots with easy fixes.
I just went on and applied the 20% Member coupon code and it accepted it. Tepui Kukenam Sky 3, normally $1499.95 marked down to $1199.89. Haven't checked out yet, but it did let me apply the coupon. It does say it's on back order and should ship within 30 days.

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
I just went on and applied the 20% Member coupon code and it accepted it. Tepui Kukenam Sky 3, normally $1499.95 marked down to $1199.89. Haven't checked out yet, but it did let me apply the coupon. It does say it's on back order and should ship within 30 days.
I guess I couldn’t have been more wrong about their sale. Makes sense why REI was so full today when I went with my sister.

Thanks for the correction

Go buy that shit OP

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Here's my "long-term" review of my Tepui RTT.