York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Do you mean the actual trailer or a RTT that goes on the trailer? I have a small RTT (Yakima Skyrise) and I think it weighs 100# give or take. The trailer that it is mounted to weighs 1500# fully loaded with all gear. Size is about (not including tongue) 6’ long x 4ft wide or thereabouts.

Makendust

Rank III

Advocate II

West Virginia, USA
First Name
Curtis
Last Name
Reynolds
Do you mean the actual trailer or a RTT that goes on the trailer? I have a small RTT (Yakima Skyrise) and I think it weighs 100# give or take. The trailer that it is mounted to weighs 1500# fully loaded with all gear. Size is about (not including tongue) 6’ long x 4ft wide or thereabouts.
Yes I was referring to the trailer

Reactions: Shahn and JacksonRL

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

That's really nice. How does it do on trails at that weight
My 2021 Rubicon JLU with factory towing package pulls it just fine, however I just picked up the Trailer in Phoenix 2/11/2022, and have only taking short trips. No problems on hills on regular roads. I'm not a "rock hopping" type of offroader, and got this trailer to get to places in the Sierra, east and west side that normal vehicles can't access. It has a 43 gallon water capacity, but I plan to not max that out unless I'm on a really long trip.

I have been backpacking for decades, but my sleeping on the ground days are just about over. This was a retirement treat for me so that I can still explore out of the way places, and do it in comfort.

Reactions: Makendust and Shahn

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Mine is a heavily modified 4x6 originally purchased at tractor supply. It’s a whole lot easier to modify a registered trailer than to build one from scratch, then apply for a title, registration & license plate. The tent and rack weigh a little over 200 lbs. I added 200lbs of 2x tubing to the frame in order to strengthen it. I also added 5,000lb leaf springs atop a 3500 lb dexter ezlube axle. Yes, tis a shade overbuilt for the total weight of the trailer with all supplies & liquids on board at 1,500 lbs. It tows like a dream with 100lbs of tonge weight and goes anywhere the cruzer can go. 5DCBF626-C363-4B62-9B5A-373DC01C757B.jpeg

Makendust

Rank III

Advocate II

West Virginia, USA
First Name
Curtis
Last Name
Reynolds
That's really nice. How does it do on trails at that weight
My 2021 Rubicon JLU with factory towing package pulls it just fine, however I just picked up the Trailer in Phoenix 2/11/2022, and have only taking short trips. No problems on hills on regular roads. I'm not a "rock hopping" type of offroader, and got this trailer to get to places in the Sierra, east and west side that normal vehicles can't access. It has a 43 gallon water capacity, but I plan to not max that out unless I'm on a really long trip.

I have been backpacking for decades, but my sleeping on the ground days are just about over. This was a retirement treat for me so that I can still explore out of the way places, and do it in comfort.
Thanks for all the info.
I hope you enjoy your new trailer.

Reactions: Shahn

Makendust

Rank III

Advocate II

West Virginia, USA
First Name
Curtis
Last Name
Reynolds
Mine is a heavily modified 4x6 originally purchased at tractor supply. It’s a whole lot easier to modify a registered trailer than to build one from scratch, then apply for a title, registration & license plate. The tent and rack weigh a little over 200 lbs. I added 200lbs of 2x tubing to the frame in order to strengthen it. I also added 5,000lb leaf springs atop a 3500 lb dexter ezlube axle. Yes, tis a shade overbuilt for the total weight of the trailer with all supplies & liquids on board at 1,500 lbs. It tows like a dream with 100lbs of tonge weight and goes anywhere the cruzer can go. View attachment 225730
I hoping to keep my weight down around 1500lbs but I don't know yet

Reactions: Shahn and JacksonRL

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Mine is a heavily modified 4x6 originally purchased at tractor supply. It’s a whole lot easier to modify a registered trailer than to build one from scratch, then apply for a title, registration & license plate. The tent and rack weigh a little over 200 lbs. I added 200lbs of 2x tubing to the frame in order to strengthen it. I also added 5,000lb leaf springs atop a 3500 lb dexter ezlube axle. Yes, tis a shade overbuilt for the total weight of the trailer with all supplies & liquids on board at 1,500 lbs. It tows like a dream with 100lbs of tonge weight and goes anywhere the cruzer can go. View attachment 225730
RTT, battery, 5 gal fuel, spare tire, awning, 40qt fridge, base camp stove (the big one) 20lbs propane, small ladder, wheel chocks, foot locker full of odds and ends, axes, saws, etc., boulder solar panels, extra ground tent, sleeping bags, camp chair, totes up top with odds and ends ….I think that’s everything that stays on my trailer and it’s just over 1500 last time I weighed it. If I remember correctly 1530ish.

If you plan on your water tank being on the trailer then obviously things will add up quick. Mine is only 8.5 gallons and I keep it on the truck. I would like to mount it to the trailer in the future. I think that tank full would be around 100#. So even still, I don’t think I would have to remove anything. Just rearrange for weight dist.

Makendust

Rank III

Advocate II

West Virginia, USA
First Name
Curtis
Last Name
Reynolds
RTT, battery, 5 gal fuel, spare tire, awning, 40qt fridge, base camp stove (the big one) 20lbs propane, small ladder, wheel chocks, foot locker full of odds and ends, axes, saws, etc., boulder solar panels, extra ground tent, sleeping bags, camp chair, totes up top with odds and ends ….I think that’s everything that stays on my trailer and it’s just over 1500 last time I weighed it. If I remember correctly 1530ish.

If you plan on your water tank being on the trailer then obviously things will add up quick. Mine is only 8.5 gallons and I keep it on the truck. I would like to mount it to the trailer in the future. I think that tank full would be around 100#. So even still, I don’t think I would have to remove anything. Just rearrange for weight dist.
Yeah I want to keep most everything in the trailer and not the truck