Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfield, CA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

Alright guys so I've been trying to think of easy ways to remove my RTT from my vehicle for when we're not going on adventures and such. My overland rig isn't my daily driver but when we do take it on long non overland trips it would be nice not have that brick of a tent of there killing my fuel economy. So here's my issue because I know many are going to say "pull it into the garage and make a cool pulley system problem solved", unfortunately my vehicle is taller than my garage the top of the tent when in the stowed position sits 8ft off the ground. If anyone has ideas on how I can manage removing it alone I'm all ears.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've seen guys build a pergola of sorts attached to their garage or side of their house or outbuilding, with the top beams same height as the rack their tent is on. They unbolt the tent and slide it over. Then slide it back when they want to remount it.

I have a hardshell rooftop tent, and while I don't need to take it off, I have unbolted it and turned it around, slid it back and forth on the rack, by myself. It is one of the reasons I went with a hardshell and not a bulkier softtent and cover.

Cummins_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfield, CA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

I've seen guys build a pergola of sorts attached to their garage or side of their house or outbuilding, with the top beams same height as the rack their tent is on. They unbolt the tent and slide it over. Then slide it back when they want to remount it.

I have a hardshell rooftop tent, and while I don't need to take it off, I have unbolted it and turned it around, slid it back and forth on the rack, by myself. It is one of the reasons I went with a hardshell and not a bulkier softtent and cover.
That's definitely a pretty good idea unfortunately for me I don't think thats going to work.
Really wish i went with one of the hard shells they are way more aerodynamic and sounds like they are easier to move since they aren't as bulky

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

That's definitely a pretty good idea unfortunately for me I don't think thats going to work.
Really wish i went with one of the hard shells they are way more aerodynamic and sounds like they are easier to move since they aren't as bulky
Hope you figure out a good way, man, and that you post about it so others can perhaps use a similar method. How'd you get it up there in the first place? Vendor installed it? They may have some ideas what to do at home.

Reactions: WrightRunner

Cummins_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfield, CA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

Hope you figure out a good way, man, and that you post about it so others can perhaps use a similar method. How'd you get it up there in the first place? Vendor installed it? They may have some ideas what to do at home.
Yeah had a local vendor do the install since I had no way of getting up there lol. As soon as I figure out a method I'll be sure to do a full write up currently scouring google as well looking for ideas.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

My answer to this problem is to get to know your neighbors and ask for help each time to remove the RTT. I have had to 3 times moving my tent back and forth on my different vehicles! Vance.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Yeah had a local vendor do the install since I had no way of getting up there lol. As soon as I figure out a method I'll be sure to do a full write up currently scouring google as well looking for ideas.
You could buy a fork lift or cherry-picker, then hire yourself out to the hundreds of others in the Bay Area with RTTs. Even start a Drive-In RTT Storage place . . . "Yessir, we'll have your tent out in just a sec and have you on your way!"

Cummins_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfield, CA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

You could buy a fork lift or cherry-picker, then hire yourself out to the hundreds of others in the Bay Area with RTTs. Even start a Drive-In RTT Storage place . . . "Yessir, we'll have your tent out in just a sec and have you on your way!"
It appears for my situation a crane or gantry of sorts is going to be my best option. Guess I'll be ordering a S*** ton of unistrut from work.

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
This is the justification you have been looking for to buy a winch and some recovery gear. Strap in the tree to a clevis and a snatch block. The winch will pull it right off. Slap four casters on a pallet, drop the tent on it and you can wheel the tent to where ever you are storing it.

It’s working well on paper from where I am sitting. :grinning:

Reactions: ROgletree

Cummins_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfield, CA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

This is the justification you have been looking for to buy a winch and some recovery gear. Strap in the tree to a clevis and a snatch block. The winch will pull it right off. Slap four casters on a pallet, drop the tent on it and you can wheel the tent to where ever you are storing it.

It’s working well on paper from where I am sitting. :grinning:
Got all the recovery gear winch, straps, and all not to mention all the rigging one could ever want in my work truck. I just have no where high enough to rig off of. Your idea is definitely sound but no big tree in my yard unfortunately.

Cummins_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfield, CA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

Well instead of going with all the suggestions including my own, I decided to just man handle the tent off the truck. It was successful and only took 5 minutes, removed mounting hardware slid towards the rear of the truck let it tilt down towards the tailgate and rested it there. Hopped down to the ground pulled the tent off the tailgate in the vertical position and into the garage. Thing only has to weigh 130 lbs thought it was more which why I initially wanted a mechanical solution to remove and re install.

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
Man up and just handle it was my next suggestion. :grinning:

Do be careful though. You are one slip, trip or odd twist from loosing a good chunk of travel time with an injury. Next time put a call for help out there. There’s a ton of folks in the Bay that will only charge you a handshake and a smile!

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Well instead of going with all the suggestions including my own, I decided to just man handle the tent off the truck. It was successful and only took 5 minutes, removed mounting hardware slid towards the rear of the truck let it tilt down towards the tailgate and rested it there. Hopped down to the ground pulled the tent off the tailgate in the vertical position and into the garage. Thing only has to weigh 130 lbs thought it was more which why I initially wanted a mechanical solution to remove and re install.
Cool - now you can install a handle on one side so you can pull it back up with one hand while you stand on top of your vehicle. :tonguewink:

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I just moved and needed a new solution to remove my rack and tent as one unit. So in a little side area I build a free standing pergola looking hoist. 4 bolts and my rack can lift off, then I get my truck back :)

I just finished it, hence the nighttime shots. I used ceiling mount pulleys to move the cable around the top till it drops down vertically. Works great, easy 5 minutes to put the rack and tent on

641C499C-DCD0-4ED9-935D-EACC129847F5.jpegF25D69C8-B96D-45FA-B010-5F89673B96E9.jpegCD7FFF20-5D12-4CBC-AAEC-CB96A38DFB13.jpeg2CF022F7-46B9-4966-A974-E4EC061EC60E.jpeg092C8A0A-2720-4147-94D5-2AF2061619AF.jpeg

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I just slide mine backwards and let the end slide down off the rack and onto the tailgate. From there I hop down to the ground and pull it towards me and guide the top so it flips over and I lower it to the ground to rest on a big piece of cardboard. Then I lean it against the wall in the garage. Just reverse the order to put it back on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cummins_Overland

Cummins_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfield, CA, USA
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

I just slide mine backwards and let the end slide down off the rack and onto the tailgate. From there I hop down to the ground and pull it towards me and guide the top so it flips over and I lower it to the ground to rest on a big piece of cardboard. Then I lean it against the wall in the garage. Just reverse the order to put it back on.

I'm actually doing it the same way, takes about 10 mins to get the tent on about 5 mins to get it off. Got gravity working in my favor when I need to pull it off.

Reactions: JCWages