Roof Top Tent places in Badlands NP

• HTML tutorial

KLondike

Rank 0

Contributor I

SW Ohio
Hello everyone, my hubby and I are planning a summer cross country overlanding trip from Badlands to Yellowstone. We are trying to find a place to camp with our roof top tent in the Badlands area and failing miserably. We do not want to stay in the Sage Creek Rd area. Would anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Reactions: phil

phil

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Altoona, IA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Bryant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0APX
I don't know if this helps, but if you look at maps from the US Forest Service they have areas marked were dispersed camping is permissible. We are headed that way for a week this summer and I plan on taking advantage of this myself. I know Black Hills isn't exactly the Badlands, but it will put you within an hour or two of driving between them.

Black Hills Specific:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/blackhills/maps-pubs/?cid=STELPRDB5203036

Nationwide:
https://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/ohv/ohv_maps.shtml

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I live in Rapid City, SD so the badlands are about an hour out of town. I'll pull a few places later for camping that is off the well traveled areas but have great views. One of the few ways of getting info about trails and camping is through purchasing one of the maps specific to the badlands. They are not located on the forest service site but can be purchased online for not much. I'll try to get back with info in the next day or so when I have a chance.

KLondike

Rank 0

Contributor I

SW Ohio
Thank you for the responses @phil , @aerles , and @Daniel Etter

I talked to the Badlands NP people and they confirmed that none of their trails will work for our purpose since you will need to be at least a half mile from the nearest trail.

In talking to the US Forest Service, we can use any of their trails listed on their interactive web map. They allow you to drive up to 30 feet off of any trail to "car-camp". So, this is the route we are taking.

Alana

zDirtyDeedz

Rank 0

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Deeds
Thread from the dead but I'm making a trip up to Badlands/Wind Cave and am looking for some tips or locations anyone is willing to share! Thanks

Robert Dooley

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Warrenton, Virginia
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Dooley
Member #

Hey, I camped here about two years ago. It was a beautiful, but busy spot overlooking the badlands:

43°53'35.3"N 102°14'19.5"W