Launch Member

Advocate III

Rathdrum, ID, USA
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
4rx4
Member #

Hello i know there a lot of forums out there about this. But none really give you a good answer so i was seeing what everyone on here thinks. So i have a 2005 Tacoma double cab with a 5ft bed with the A.R.E. CX camper shell. I was seeing if anyone has put a rooftop tent on top and its ok with the weight? So with me, wife and my boy we are looking around 500lbs on top of the shell without the weight of the tent. When i was down at a camper dealer near me. The guy was saying he seen no problem with doing it. He also said if i was worried i could put Reese carry power ratcheting cargo bar in the middle on the shell when I'm at camp.

So i really like my camper shell. I like that i can put anything in it and just lock it and not worry about it or not have to worry about my gear getting wet.

I had two other idea if this doesn't work. Go with Leitner Designs or AT habitat.

So i would have to sell the A.R.E. probably get $1000 for it. The Leither Designs with the rack and all the extra i would get is close to $3500. Its a amazing setup but now i can't just leave things in the bed and have to worry about things getting wet. But know i don't care about the weight of my family and the tent cause the thing can hold 1000lbs. So thats BA.

Now going crazy and get the Habitat. I only have to bad things i can think of. One Its almost 10k to get and its not a wide sleep platform like a roof top tent.

ooo another thing on roof top tents. I have 23zero and love but i been looking at the Freesspirit High Country. I seeing what people think of it.

So this is just my thoughts . Tell me what you think and your ideas.

Thanks guys

Badlatitude

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

West Rupert, VT 05776, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
M
Member #

ARE makes two HD caps now which have internal framing and marketed for roof top tents. They don't recommend it on their non HD line.

This is the quote I received for my tundra. I don't work for ARE or in the cap industry.

$1945 CX HD Series Truck Cap
Front Window: Aluminum Framed Picture Window
$195 Light Option: 12V LED Dome Light & Dual Rope Lights
$95 Power Strip: 12-Volt Power Strip
$280 Side Window: Outdoorsman Vented Windoor
Window Pet Screen Option: Yes
Rear Door: Aluminum Framed Single T Door
$195 Roof Rack: HD Series Roof Rack

NorCalJoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern California, CA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Kemp
Member #

If you go the Leitner Rack route the XL boxes they sell for it can hold a decent amount of stuff and are lockable and waterproof. I went from a camper shell on my super duty to the Leitner and have zero regrets.

Adventure4rx4

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Rathdrum, ID, USA
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
4rx4
Member #

ARE makes two HD caps now which have internal framing and marketed for roof top tents. They don't recommend it on their non HD line.

This is the quote I received for my tundra. I don't work for ARE or in the cap industry.

$1945 CX HD Series Truck Cap
Front Window: Aluminum Framed Picture Window
$195 Light Option: 12V LED Dome Light & Dual Rope Lights
$95 Power Strip: 12-Volt Power Strip
$280 Side Window: Outdoorsman Vented Windoor
Window Pet Screen Option: Yes
Rear Door: Aluminum Framed Single T Door
$195 Roof Rack: HD Series Roof Rack
I would love the hd but they don’t make it for my model truck. The 2005 is to old lol. I called and ask that.

Adventure4rx4

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Rathdrum, ID, USA
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
4rx4
Member #

If you go the Leitner Rack route the XL boxes they sell for it can hold a decent amount of stuff and are lockable and waterproof. I went from a camper shell on my super duty to the Leitner and have zero regrets.
That’s really nice. My thing I was worry about was my 105 yeti in the back for camping or my son stroller lol. I think the the Leitner are BA tho.

Docwilder

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

South Korea
First Name
Joby
Last Name
Denny
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I have a 2004 with a similar camper shell. Put a front runner rtt on with the Thule load bars it came with and the Thule brackets broke on the second trail I took it out on. The camper shell was just fine so I got home and made an aluminum rack that now hold my rtt without any problems

Attachments

Adventure4rx4

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Rathdrum, ID, USA
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
4rx4
Member #

I have a 2004 with a similar camper shell. Put a front runner rtt on with the Thule load bars it came with and the Thule brackets broke on the second trail I took it out on. The camper shell was just fine so I got home and made an aluminum rack that now hold my rtt without any problems
Thanks that help a lot [emoji1363]. Beautiful rig by the way.

Reactions: Docwilder