Launch Member

Contributor I

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Elvir
Last Name
Begic
Member #

I have a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform on my Jeep and I am receiving by Smittybilt RTT tomorrow in the mail. Does anyone else have the pioneer platform for their RTT? If so how did you mount it? Ive seen a few options and the best one so far is to use the channel grooves on the pioneer platform because using a bracket to go around the platform is not an option due to the platform being so close to the roof of the Jeep. I would not be able to get a tool under there to tighten it. But i dont know how strong those channels are and I would be worried going off road and risk snapping a bolt.

ToddT_503

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Oregon
First Name
Todd
Last Name
T
Member #

my buddy with a hardtop unlimited rubicon went this route and mounted his tent directly on the pioneer platform. you remove the aluminum crossbars from the bottom of the tent and redrill to install these lag bolts. Hope it helps. he went all over the place in oregon.

Lag Bolt Tent Mounting Hardware | MAXIMUS-3

Reactions: EB12

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

@EB12 , I just went through this. I installed the Pioneer Platform on my Jeep and one of the FSR Hardshell Power top tents.

My issue was that the Pioneer slats run the length of the top(front to back, vs. side to side) and the mounting rails on the FSR also run front to back, but they do not line up in a way to where you could actually mount them to the rack. I had to get fairly creative, but I don't believe you'll have that issue.

I'm fairly certain that you can install the mounting rails on the bottom of the Smittybilt in either a front to back, or a side to side fashion, because I don't think they're pre-installed(my Tepui's were not-have a Tepui on my trailer). If you can, mount your rails front to back, and measure them to where they are wide enough to fall over the rails that run side to side on the Pioneer Platform. You'll then be able to run your included brackets and mounting hardware over top of the Pionner rails and secure from the bottom like normal. Yes, it's tight between the Platform and the roof, but it can be done.

It's kind of hard to explain exactly what I'm referring to, and if you haven't installed this yet and have some questions, feel free to message me and I'll send you my cell number. More than happy to show you what I did on mine and offer some tips on yours, if you need it.

Reactions: EB12

Scubanickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Annapolis, MD, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hirnickel
Member #

I recently just purchased the 23Zero walkabout 72 and I have the 72" platform. I ended up just measuring out the existing rails that were mounted to the bottom and driling into the front and rear rails/ through bolting it to the rack.

Reactions: sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I recently just purchased the 23Zero walkabout 72 and I have the 72" platform. I ended up just measuring out the existing rails that were mounted to the bottom and driling into the front and rear rails/ through bolting it to the rack.
Yep, that's probably the most secure way of doing it! Enjoy the 23zero tent! Looked at those at Overland Expo...nice stuff!