ROOF TENT?

• Thread starter Deleted member 82267
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
Backyard camp discussion this weekend and was asked why I don't have a roof mounted tent? So thinking long and hard to come up with some scientific reason. My guest needs a science based answer for everything in life, really kinda sad lol. Gravity I said gravity is why I don't have a roof mounted tent. How is that a problem was the response. Well I am 56 years old and have been known to take maybe a swig too many around the campfire, and gravity is not forgiving. Stepping out of that roof mounted tent to visit a tree in the early morning hours there is a very good chance that gravity will show up and toss me hard on the ground below. I don't bounce anymore I just land with a solid thud and that is why I don't have a roof mounted tent, gravity.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Backyard camp discussion this weekend and was asked why I don't have a roof mounted tent? So thinking long and hard to come up with some scientific reason. My guest needs a science based answer for everything in life, really kinda sad lol. Gravity I said gravity is why I don't have a roof mounted tent. How is that a problem was the response. Well I am 56 years old and have been known to take maybe a swig too many around the campfire, and gravity is not forgiving. Stepping out of that roof mounted tent to visit a tree in the early morning hours there is a very good chance that gravity will show up and toss me hard on the ground below. I don't bounce anymore I just land with a solid thud and that is why I don't have a roof mounted tent, gravity.
Funnel my friend.

Water Bottle, Funnel, 6-ft hose, and a hose clamp and let gravity do the work. Just use the bottle to give a quick rinse out afterward.

Overlanding Lawyer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Fayetteville, GA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kirkbride
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1EOD
Service Branch
Army
I agree 100%, I want to fall over, not down or off a ladder. My luck, I fall of the ladder, my pants around my ankles, blood alcohol about. 2.4, and they find my body a week later… my wife’s gonna say I wasn’t there for the camping… ground tent or trailer for me….

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Pretty much in line with my rationale too. Plus I don't want to carry my gear everywhere and everyday.

mack1611

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Red Stick Louisiana
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Ackerman
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5QMJ
It's easy to take a leak while standing on the ladder of the RTT drunk or not (I'm your age). I have now gone to a funnel and hose to releave myself late at nite should the need arise.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Too funny, but as I sit and cogitate about it, I might postulate that it isn’t the fall that necessarily bothers me, but the sudden and abrupt stop at the end of it...

• Haha
Reactions: Shahn

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Man, I was at that cross road about a year back, had the same thinking and I am 63, 6’2” & 235lbs. I love my RTT, TuffStuff Alpha ll, got it on a pre order and a great price. I mostly camp alone, so it’s the perfect size. I mounted it on my Tacoma with a Victory half rack because of the climbing down at night after a few too many bourbons. I find the worst part is opening and closing the zipper. I keep the ladder angled out a bit and so far it’s been a breeze. I plan to mount it to a trailer this winter and have it a little lower, maybe 4.5-5.5’ off the ground, will depend on the annex hooking up.

RTT are not for everyone, my buddy got one and is going back to a ground tent.
I have slept on the ground, air mattress, cots and I hate crawling in and out of tents, for me much worst than a ladder. My last ground tent was a Kodiak, nice and tall , but it has to be stake out, which is not always possible. If I get where I don’t want to climb up/down anymore I would try a canopy with the floor and side attachment and use a cot.

I think the scientific reply would of been, I don’t want one, I don’t like them, not going to spend the money.

PS, I carry some extra padding, so if I drop, gotta hope I hit the padding

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
“...PS, I carry some extra padding, so if I drop, gotta hope I hit the padding”
[/QUOTE]

Ya, I’m with ya on that, I don’t bounce like I used to, these days it would be more of a thud and probably accompanied by a crack!

Reactions: NMBruce

Siren

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Sirin
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UAV
It's easy to take a leak while standing on the ladder of the RTT drunk or not (I'm your age). I have now gone to a funnel and hose to releave myself late at nite should the need arise.
Where do you attach the hose and funnel? Do you just roll over in the middle of the night, pull out your equipment stick it in the funnel at the doorway, then when done just roll over?? I guess it all depends on your level of inebriation!! Lol

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
That’s one of the incidental benefits I discovered when setting up my rtt to open off the back of my rig. I mounted it on a full contractor rack and put a deck of expanded metal the full length of the rack. Now I can exit the tent in either direction. With little fear of falling down a ladder with a full bladder, I can exit towards the front and fill a bottle under the stars on/off the deck... I’m glad I opted for the decking.

Attachments

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
That’s one of the incidental benefits I discovered when setting up my rtt to open off the back of my rig. I mounted it on a full contractor rack and put a deck of expanded metal the full length of the rack. Now I can exit the tent in either direction. With little fear of falling down a ladder with a full bladder, I can exit towards the front and fill a bottle under the stars on/off the deck... I’m glad I opted for the decking.
Have to admit, that’s pretty ingenious. I have yet to see anything like that, and I like it.

Reactions: lhoffm4

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Have to admit, that’s pretty ingenious. I have yet to see anything like that, and I like it.
it’s evolving. This pic was a silly one with a beach umbrella. Since then I have added a screen wall and a roof canopy for shade/ rain. Also added a set of boat seats and a small table that plug into/out of boat mounts...just for fun.

mack1611

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Red Stick Louisiana
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Ackerman
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5QMJ
Where do you attach the hose and funnel? Do you just roll over in the middle of the night, pull out your equipment stick it in the funnel at the doorway, then when done just roll over?? I guess it all depends on your level of inebriation!! Lol
I use a long neck funnel on .75" hose I route out the side of the tent where the floor hinges. Made a hook for the funnel and hang off one of the D-rings in the tent. A little water from the water bottle for a flush and back to bed.

Reactions: lhoffm4