Roof Tent Weight Capacity?

• HTML tutorial

HighSierraOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fresno, CA
Member #

Was wondering what the weight capacity for the roof tents are. I don't have anything in mind specifically as far as brands go, but I assume there is a set limit of some sort for the roof? I've read various reports online saying 300lbs to 1000+, but couldn't find what determined this.

I assume if you are using a 1 person roof tent, or a four (I think I saw equipt carries those), that depends on what can hold so much, but I'm always worried about the roof caving in.

Also what would the ladders hold? I'm a big guy (6'2 380), so don't want to try getting in or out and have the thing collapse.

I'm perfectly fine with camping on the ground in a tent, as I typically do for backpacking, but it seems the wife is very fond of these roof tents so thought I'd look into them and see if they are an option.

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Most 2 person tents are in the 600lb range. You would really have to contact each manufacturer to get more specific numbers.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

When you look at your numbers, there should be two. The weight for cargo when you're driving, and the standing weight when you're parked.

Both are obviously important. Most roof top capacity is diminished by the crappy little cargo rails that tend to come stock with vehicles.

Most vehicles can do at least 150 pounds driving and 300+ stationary.

I don't think I've seen an SUV that wasn't around 300 driving and 800-1000 stationary.

HighSierraOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fresno, CA
Member #

I talked with one of the guys over at Equipt and they said the Eezi-Awn 1400 is rated at around 1600lbs. I think I'd rather sleep on the ground for that $3,600 price lol.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I'm sure you could get into an RTT, including the heavier duty load bars for way less than $3600!

I know from experience that the people over at CVT are always happy to help figure things out. I've heard the same thing about the people at Tepui, and HIT from other members here.

For $3600 you could get a tent, and a seriously heavy duty roof rack that would be way more than you would need.

Reactions: HighSierraOverland