Roof rack vs roof box

• HTML tutorial

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

Any opinions or pros and cons vs a cargo basket or a storage box. I’m comparing a Thule roof box vs a Yakima basket. Thanks peeps

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

It would seem that unless you put individual large items up there, it would all need to be in a big box anyways...

Of course, roof boxes dont look as cool.

In any case, I am absolutely not a fan of roof racks. Hauling coolers and water and stuff up there is about the worst thing in the whole world.

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

It would seem that unless you put individual large items up there, it would all need to be in a big box anyways...

Of course, roof boxes dont look as cool.

In any case, I am absolutely not a fan of roof racks. Hauling coolers and water and stuff up there is about the worst thing in the whole world.
I do agree, with ya on the heavy things up top. Not fun to load and unload.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Racks, less height, makes a difference in getting into public garages but not lockable if you have sftuff up there. Box lockable, but easy to defeat lock, weather tight, easy to just put stuff up, no tie downs. These have limited space, and that is important. It is amazing how much suft you can get into a full size rack. That said, can also be a pain when you need the storage box at the bottom in the middle. Box can be more orgainized with stuf easy to access anytime. Just getting around town you can put stuf in there out of site, until you need to carry a ladder.

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

I went with a basket and then a waterproof cargo bag. I don't want heavy things mounted atop, so clothes, bedroll, shoes, portable toilet, and other lighter, but bulky items get thrown in the cargo bag.

@DK_XV | PNW | '17 Colorado Diesel

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

We have a box on top of our Jeep and also have a hitch mount shelf where we use a weatherproof bag. Volume-wise, I think they are similar, but we can fit so much more in the bag due to the ability to load on the ground and stuff it. The drawback, as mentioned above, is security. I have constant anxiety about someone walking off with it if I am not paying attention.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

Security is a concern. So all the valuable things are stored in the bed, which locks, and with the basket atop, really can't remove items as it's all screwed down.
But if somewone wants my dirty clothes and pooper, well, I uh don't know what to say. LOL

Reactions: GratefulFozzie

BayAreaTundra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Danville, CA
Member #

Security is a concern. So all the valuable things are stored in the bed, which locks, and with the basket atop, really can't remove items as it's all screwed down.
But if somewone wants my dirty clothes and pooper, well, I uh don't know what to say. LOL

Didn’t notice you already made your decision. Nice truck!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: DK_XV

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

I started the thread as I am considering between the two for my forester, I made a small diy one shown below.

But still need something larger. Thanks for all the feedback guys. I do t think there is a wrong answer, just a matter of preference.

Reactions: DK_XV

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

I started the thread as I am considering between the two for my forester, I made a small diy one shown below.

But still need something larger. Thanks for all the feedback guys. I do t think there is a wrong answer, just a matter of preference.

Nice fozzy!

They make extended length cargo baskets (64" or so) and wider along with bags that fit the full size, or use the bins you have on a larger rack for more space.

Additionally a hitch basket could work, but I would say to look for have duty rear springs, or a bigger rear spacer to help with sag. I had some Mann engineering springs on my Crosstrek, helped with the sag.

And one more additionally... take a look at 4'x4' harbor freight trailers. They are cheap, and if you search the internet's, lots of folks have built them up for overlanding with bigger tires and some neat storage options. Might be a neat option for you to store all your camp gear at the ready, and fill the foz with more of your everyday items or fragile items in safety.

Pic as an example...

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

Nice fozzy!

They make extended length cargo baskets (64" or so) and wider along with bags that fit the full size, or use the bins you have on a larger rack for more space.

Additionally a hitch basket could work, but I would say to look for have duty rear springs, or a bigger rear spacer to help with sag. I had some Mann engineering springs on my Crosstrek, helped with the sag.

And one more additionally... take a look at 4'x4' harbor freight trailers. They are cheap, and if you search the internet's, lots of folks have built them up for overlanding with bigger tires and some neat storage options. Might be a neat option for you to store all your camp gear at the ready, and fill the foz with more of your everyday items or fragile items in safety.

Pic as an example...

I have seen these small trailers. Do
You know if they have modified suspensions also. Or simply larger tires. Being my rig is a forester I don’t plan on doin any extreme trails, just like to get off the beatin path

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

I don't think they have modified suspention for the most part. Wheel adapters I believe for some so they can run a larger tire for backspacing and similar bolt pattern to the tow vehicle.

Reactions: GratefulFozzie

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

After doing some searching I found a Subaru cargo box manufacturer by Thule for 125$ on Facebook market. Decided to scoop it. Lots of space and it locks. Pics coming soon