Roof rack recommendations for JK (Expedition quality)?

• HTML tutorial

Beto1619

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Round Rock, Texas, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Bravo
Member #

Service Branch
Army
New to overlanding and beginning to build my Rubicon. Planning a transcontinental trip. So I'm researching roof racks that will handle the loads and stress. Currently, not looking at placing a rooftop tent on the roof rack. But will have boxes, gas, water, etc... Am considering Rhino, Gobi, and Garvin racks but would like to hear from first hand experience on durability and issues from anyone who has any of these racks or others.
Thanks in advance for any insights. Robert

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I only have experience with my Gobi but I can attest to the sturdiness and build quality. I've loaded it with boxes, gas, firewood, RTT and awning and traveled many road conditions (washboards and trails that swing you back and forth non-stop!).

with that said, Gobi has several weeks of wait time. I got mine back when wait was 6 weeks, now folks waiting for 18weeks?!

I also don't proof of this but I think Gobi's stamped-steel floor design may be a contributing factor to additional impact to the gas milage. Although once loaded down, it will be negligible as your cargo covers much of that surface area.

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

0CD4CCB4-2194-4FD5-B735-05DE18F9BBEA.jpeg I have a smittybilt rack & so far no complaints. Seems pretty heavy duty without the heavy duty price tag it was around $500 from Morris 4x4 center. Just my 2 cents. Good luck. ✌

Reactions: Lazy Turtle

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
For your trip are you going to be Offroading and if so how extreme or are you mainly sticking to the highways and dirt roads?

What is your budget for the rack as well as all the lockable, waterproof containers you will place on the roof?(this can get super expensive)

Have you considered a trailer instead?

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

As you said expedition quality the Gobi and rhino rack is out. I would recommend a kargomaster congo pro cage.
Why? Rhino doesn't support the weight as good as it should, it's the best for lightweight stuff. The Gobi is extremely expensive and stylish but it is flexing way to much and rubs on the hardtop without improving it.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
As you said expedition quality the Gobi and rhino rack is out. I would recommend a kargomaster congo pro cage.
Why? Rhino doesn't support the weight as good as it should, it's the best for lightweight stuff. The Gobi is extremely expensive and stylish but it is flexing way to much and rubs on the hardtop without improving it.
I haven't heard of a Gobi rubbing on the hardtop unless that's just improperly installed. a corner brace helps stop the flex, it is an add-on accessory. I don't have one, i want one since any rigidity support is a good thing -- but if i order one now, i would have completed three around the world trips before Gobi sends me that accessory. Something is gonna be very wrong if the rack touches the hardtop.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

It's not my experience but I saw it and it's flexing so much. Maybe it's a weak European version?
I don't know!

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
It's not my experience but I saw it and it's flexing so much. Maybe it's a weak European version?
I don't know!
fair enough, i can only relate my personal experience with it. I looked into Kargo Master then, they didn't have the pro-cage then if i recall and the one they had was not pleasing to the eyes at all. The Pro-Cage definitely is a step up, plus i dig the hood cowl cat walk, and i personally got their hinge steps which is a must for me.

Reactions: MazeVX

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

No complaints at all with my Gobi rack. Just did a week in Death Valley (Steele Pass included) with the RTT on top with no issues. I've also do rock crawling (trail ratings up to 7 and 8) here in CO with the Gobi and RTT on. I do have the rear stabilizers installed (and think they should be a standard part of the rack).

The new Pro-Cage does look better and I might have considered it if it was out when I was looking at racks, but it is not really any cheaper than the Gobi when you do and apples to apples on it.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
This is just what I did not an option. After having a Yakima rack with bolt on rails that made way to much noise because I kept overloading it, I purchased the Front Runner full rack and since I didn't mind drilling holes in my roof and making it permanent it was the best solution for me. The rack connects to the roll bar in four places and the A post in front so it is extremely strong, quiet and looks good. What really sold me on the Front Runner was a video they had of a Jeep JKU being lifted by the rack with a crane.

Terex

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Taos, NM
This is just what I did not an option. After having a Yakima rack with bolt on rails that made way to much noise because I kept overloading it, I purchased the Front Runner full rack and since I didn't mind drilling holes in my roof and making it permanent it was the best solution for me. The rack connects to the roll bar in four places and the A post in front so it is extremely strong, quiet and looks good. What really sold me on the Front Runner was a video they had of a Jeep JKU being lifted by the rack with a crane.
I did the same thing on my JK Rubicon. The FrontRunner is the strongest, most trouble free solution. It also has the most over landing accessory options.