Roof rack on a stock SnugTop, has anyone done this? Id like to know if it's an option.

• HTML tutorial

TacoWheeler

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Orange County, California, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Porter
Member #

I have a SnugTop shell with no rack mounts on it from the manufacturer. I'd like to know if anyone has put a rack and or RTT on it. I understand it'll more than likely need some plate reinforcement and am okay with that. For now I just need some extra space up top, so I can free up the bed and save my knees. I may go with a Go Fast Camper down the road, but for now I need some more storage up top. Thanks for any help and info!IMG_6244.jpeg

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@TacoWheeler

Call Snugtop. They have a number of rack systems that are designed for their toppers. Both commercial ladder rack type and Recreation Thule/Yakima systems. I'm not sure if they will do a RTT weight wise. IIRC they have a 300 LB max capacity but I'm not sure if that is static or driving weight.
Roof Racks - Options | SNUGTOP I know you can order the topper with them from the factory but some may also be after purchase add ons. (They were available both ways for my non-Snugtop topper.)

If you find this will work for you be sure to also check out a set of bed stiffeners if you have one of the plastic bed Tacomas. They are basically stout brackets that install near the rear to keep the bed walls from flexing outwards over time with the weight of the cap and load. Google "Tacoma Bed Stiffeners" and you'll find a number of fabricators that offer them.

Boort

Reactions: TacoWheeler

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Trac Rac was a local company that made those sliding and adjustable aluminum work truck racks. They also made a version for vans, and, as it turns out, for truck caps. Mine is a Leer with no other support, but same idea as snug top.

Track Rack was bought out by Thule fairly recently but I believe they still make the Cap Rac product.

Whether or not it supports a RTT depends more on the Snug Top. These racks are rated between 500 and 1000 pounds but if all you have attached it to is a fiberglass topper, you probably shouldn't have more than about 200 pounds up there. Some caps are reinforced, though, so check on that.

Hope that helps

Reactions: TacoWheeler

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Late to look at this thread. There are a few lumber rack mfg.'s in So, Cal. you can get a rack made for you with most of them, don't go to the shell companies as they are just selling them. There are three or four in So. Cal. they go outside the shell and are steel. I think your just need one without the upright sides, make sure they have a full rail running down the top of the truck bed between the shell. The full rail will help even the load across the total rail. you can add as many crossmembers as you want, they bolt in place. If you wrap a rope around the cross pipes it will make the ride quieter, I have a rack was custom made by a offload fabricator, it was expensive but it does the job very well. I added steps on the corners to help get on top. Look up lumber rack mfg's most are in the 909.truck rack 04-20.jpg

Last edited: