roof rack load ratings

• HTML tutorial

taliv

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
does anyone know where to get the actual ratings?

i'm specifically looking for '17 ram 2500 mega cab

I can't seem to find ram's dynamic load rating for their roof.

thule has what seems to be an unintelligible list of ratings. their rack on the website seems to say 165 lbs, but current paper catalog in my local retailer says max on any ram 2500/3500 roof is 88 lbs (I need to hold a 37" toyo RT)

also, has anyone had any experience with m-racks? their low-profile racks look great, but their website seems to omit some basic details like how they attach to the roof and how much weight they can carry

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

The issue with rating roof racks is the liability in a roll over. While working in the aftermarket truck and SUV accessory field for years I learned that no company rates roof racks to their full carry ability. But they rate them to how much weight is safe to have on top of a vehicle traveling 70 to 80 mph down a freeway.

Too many people will load to or over load a roof rack or construction rack, then go out and flip the rig and sue the manufacture who said it would hold XXX lbs. We rated our heavy duty FJ racks at the same weight as the factory racks for this reason.

So it is not about how much weight can the roof stand up to but how much weight is safe to have up that high above the vehicle.

Also the Dodge roof rating is most likely referring to someone walking on the roof and not denting or caving it in and not a well designed roof rack that is dispersing the weight out to several points of contact.

Last edited:
Reactions: OffroadTreks