Roof Rack Ideas

• HTML tutorial

ScottStafford

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hi all,

New to the forums, but not the idea of Overlanding. I currently don't have a true "overlanding" vehicle, just a raised 2005 Xterra with some A/T tires to get around in the local mountains here in SoCal. I also carry a RTT with me so I can camp.

With that introduction aside, here's a little back story on what I'm looking for:

I'm currently shopping for a new roof rack. My Xterra has 165,000 miles on it, and will die sooner than later at this point. My next vehicle, I'm looking into either a Tacoma or Frontier (crew cab on both). I'd like a roof rack that'll fit both my current Xterra, and my next truck. With that in mind, has anyone done anything similar to what I'm doing? Looking around, it's hard to tell if one rack will fit both rigs in terms of length on the cab.

I'm also looking at recommendations for companies to purchase from. I own a Frontrunners RTT, and was pretty partial to their racks as well. I'm open to other suggestions. I'm currently waiting for an email back from FR customer service with some ideas, but also looking for unbiased opinions.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Hi all,

New to the forums, but not the idea of Overlanding. I currently don't have a true "overlanding" vehicle, just a raised 2005 Xterra with some A/T tires to get around in the local mountains here in SoCal. I also carry a RTT with me so I can camp.

With that introduction aside, here's a little back story on what I'm looking for:

I'm currently shopping for a new roof rack. My Xterra has 165,000 miles on it, and will die sooner than later at this point. My next vehicle, I'm looking into either a Tacoma or Frontier (crew cab on both). I'd like a roof rack that'll fit both my current Xterra, and my next truck. With that in mind, has anyone done anything similar to what I'm doing? Looking around, it's hard to tell if one rack will fit both rigs in terms of length on the cab.

I'm also looking at recommendations for companies to purchase from. I own a Frontrunners RTT, and was pretty partial to their racks as well. I'm open to other suggestions. I'm currently waiting for an email back from FR customer service with some ideas, but also looking for unbiased opinions.
"doesn't matter what you drive" If you have a vehicle that is equipped to get you where you want to go it is an overland rig!!!!
I know a guy that has outfitted a Kia Sol and go's where he wants to @Luis Merlo and a couple @Mademan925 that go's where they want. Both rigs are extremely different but capable. Xterra's have limitations just like any vehicle, My friend runs a jk Rubicon solid axle and I run an IFS fj cruiser, we go the same places and see the same views and we take a different line to get to the same place. Your rig millage with complete and proper services should last you well into the future. As far as a roof rack try the dedicated Xterra forum and see what they say, i'm sorry I can't help there but glad you found Overland Bound and welcome!!!!!!
P.S. I have been building/evolving my rig for 6 1/2 yrs to get it where it is today. Some things work better than others!!!!!!

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
165K on a Nissan? No sweat. Replace the timing chain and tensioners, throw a new water pump at it, rad hoses and a tune up. I turned wrenches for a Nissan dealer, my brother still does. We've seen Nissans with 500K on the odo and still going strong. Hell, I had an old Maxima that was my daily beater, that old girl had close to 300K on it, and I'd still be driving it if some basic bitch hadn't ran a light and removed the front end for me. My Hardbody had just short of 200K on it when I sold it to one of the other techs, and he's still driving it.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Front Runner and Rhino have options for a flat rack in any width I think. Just pick something close to average.

How much stuff do you have to have strapped to the outside of your truck for it to be considered an Overlander? Does a SkyBox count?

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I thought so he's the only guy I know other than myself beating on a Sorento
That thing goes wherever he points it! That's Bald Mt. in the pic, he had zero problems on any trail that day. It crazy to watch the thing kind of bounce it's way up the trail.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hi all,

Hmmm,, I don't own an Xterra, but I've heard nothing but good about them from guys in my area that do run them. 165k miles is barely broken in for a Nissan or a Toyota. Then again, if you're just tired of it and want something different, then thats another story. If it were a heap, then you'd have reason for concern as their engines seem to last about 200k on average. As far as a rack goes, now that you own a Frontrunner rack everything else will be a disappointment, unless you wanna spend really big bucks on a K9 rack or other such way overpriced aluminum racks, then pay for steep shipping costs on top of that. Dollar for dollar, Frontrunner is about the best out there.