Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

While I have my eye's set on an Kinsmen 270 awning I was looking into a Roof Rack 5 to 6.5 ft awning for my Prinsu Rack. I was looking at CVT, ROAM, Rhino Rack, and ARB. The goal for this configuration is to have an isolated room (awning and walls) for my pups, that also serves as a privacy shelter.

Just checking in with the team to see what you have, and if you don't mind posting any pics

Thank you for your time

Top of the list is CVT

1619706784798.png

1619706847112.png

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Smittybuilt small shade awning. Quick set up when I need it, sits in the garage when daily driving or mall crawling.
Can be used tied to trees or other things (such as a tent or trailer) when base camping.
Does not meet your need though, it would take work to make it a room.

1619733257113.png
1619733003836.png

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Smittybuilt small shade awning. Quick set up when I need it, sits in the garage when daily driving or mall crawling.
Can be used tied to trees or other things (such as a tent or trailer) when base camping.
Does not meet your need though, it would take work to make it a room.

View attachment 196624
View attachment 196623
Great setup, I have one of these for my CJ, and I also have the lumberjack as well.

I'm looking for one that I can mount to the prinsu roof rack with walls for the pups, not only on camping trips but weeknd MTB rides, I can setup something simple and after the ride kick back with one of my pups, even double it up for a shower room.
Overall I will always have two of my 3 pups that range from 80 to 100lbs so on long trips I can put them in their crates under the awning at night.
Thanks for the reply.

Chief Brody

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Escobar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6POR
I was liking my Roam 6.5 foot awning for a couple hours before the quite lite ocean breeze switched direction. I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service, so we'll see...

IMG_1765.jpg

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I just put an Overland Vehicle Systems (OVS) 180 on my teardrop trailer.....no pics yet, but very impressed with the quality. And they have walls for them as well.

slightNine

Rank IV
Investor

Enthusiast III

Yukon, OK, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hutton
Member #

Our awning is from The Bush Company. Set up/take down is seconds. It is silver on top to help reject the sun's heat. The way it's designed it is freestanding up to pretty windy conditions, it has d rings for guy lines and holes for poles if it gets crazy. I've never used either.

Attachments

Paasche

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Buenrostro
Recently got the OvS 270-I like it so far! Quality seems nice and setup and storing isn't too bad. Delivery was fast-got it within 2-3 days and got a discount when I ordered it!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Our awning is from The Bush Company. Set up/take down is seconds. It is silver on top to help reject the sun's heat. The way it's designed it is freestanding up to pretty windy conditions, it has d rings for guy lines and holes for poles if it gets crazy. I've never used either.
I often just use a blue tarp. But the silver reflecting the sun made me think about breaking out one of my Space Blankets and putting silver side up.

Reactions: slightNine

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
We have a 23Zero 180 awning on our Prinsu, but they make a 270 as well. With the walls attached, we often actually sleep in the awning instead of pitching an actual tent. Had it since June, but like it so far. 20210604_121754.jpg
20210703_125335.jpg

Last edited:

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Reactions: ThundahBeagle

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I’m diy-ing my entire rig. I wanted a trailer system separate/able from my daily driver,so base camp could stay deployed while tow vehicle could remain mobile. I wanted the strength and size of an over-cab contractor rack, the convenience and security of a metal topper shell, the durability of a trussed awning and the scalability of choosing to use an rtt with or without the annex, an awning with or without an awning tent and/or side walls and the convenience offered by a shower /restroom/ changing room system. I also wanted a solar power system to back up generators, charge automotive batteries and power Tools and:or technology and medical devices like a cpap, etc.

I wanted the trailer to run the same wheels as my truck to increase spare tire options.

I’m still in building phase 3 after design, acquire materials and execute build. The roof rack, topper shell, suspension n wheels, rtt, and one awning with tent room have been completed. I just finished constructing the framework for my 180 batwing and shower stall. Remaining are skinning the awning and shower (I don’t have that equipment so will have it done locally), rhino-line/paint the trailer and rack,awning, install the solar stuff and finish a few smaller projects for the build like gear storage, theft mitigation, external lighting. Then...more adventure!

after this trailer build, I’m hoping to start on my bass boat build with LOTS of inspiration from Tiny Boat Nation on You Tube. I have the boat already, just have to gut it and build an aluminum deck with all the goodies a bass boat has.

All this Covid /National politics/ etc. has me working more on projects and less on travelingand/or dining out... so more productive.

Attachments

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I was liking my Roam 6.5 foot awning for a couple hours before the quite lite ocean breeze switched direction. I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service, so we'll see...

View attachment 205486
Maybe they’ll replace it because it was not properly secured? That should help keep product costs for the rest of us down.These lightweight awning are not meant to be deployed without being properly secured - that’s why they put all those warning labels on the awning and in the instructions. In high winds, they should be put away.