Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

I am putting together a 2021 4Runner build and plan to put a spare tire, jerry cans and MaxTrax up top. I know, that's a fair bit of weight up there but my Off Grid trailer is already pretty heavy (especially on the tongue), and I don't want those things inside my rig. I know many people carry those items on swingouts on the back bumper, but I won't be adding those due to the trailer tongue weight (500 lbs).
Anyway... I am leaning towards either the ARB or Gobi roof racks. Both have very good reputations for making solid hardware, and build them to properly fit a 5th Gen 4Runner. The items mentioned to go on it will weigh around 150lbs, though it is possible I will end up adding more (HiLift, shovel, lights, etc).
I would appreciate your thoughts on these roof racks, and specifically relative to the 5th Gen 4Runner if possible.

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

The owners manual says 120 lbs on the stock rails. Both ARB and Gobi however quote a dynamic load limit of 300 lbs for their 5th Gen racks. I want to stay well below those limits (max 200 lbs)

Grendel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San diego
Member #

We put a Gobi on my wife's 2018 4runner, full roof.
positives
Very sturdy strong roof rack.
I have stood and walked across the mesh multiple times. The ladder holds me at 220.
It looks good.

Negatives
There is wind noise I'd say it was minor but sound is subjective.
Mounting on the mesh. I'm divided on it, leaning more towards bad. A lot of roof racks have crossbars, if you want to mount xxx in the center you slide tie down (mount) to desired spot and mount. With the mesh. you can't reach underneath to mount some thing in the middle. You can use washers and adapt almost any thing if you can reach it. Additionally the holes in the mesh don't always align with the holes in a generic mount. A solution is just to use straps with hooks to tie things down, but you sometimes get vibration or flapping.

Reactions: FloydIAm

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Thx Grendel. I hear you on the adjustability of the sliding tie downs. I hadn't thought of the difficult underneath access with a fixed mesh.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Gobi - long backorder. Have seen up to 16 weeks.
ARB - not sure how their importing is going with Covid issues, so finding one may be tough.

Ajw62428

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Navarre, FL
First Name
D
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Just ordered from Southern Style Off-road (SSO). 15% Black Friday too. Read a lot of good reviews/videos so finally pulled the trigger for it.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
With 500 lbs of tongue weight and another 200 up top, weight is your enemy for sure. I’d stay away from anything steel. Go for lightweight aluminum. I use a Frontrunner rack. Actually two of them, one on the 80 and one on the trailer. 500 lbs of tongue weight? I’m having a tough time wrapping my brain around that much for an “ overlanding “ vehicle. Must be one heavy trailer.

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

It's an Off Grid Pando 2.0 modified teardrop. Very capable but yes, about 3200 lbs at full load, including 33 gallons of water (GVWR 3500).
Unfortunately, I believe they missed a bit on axle placement when designing the trailer and left it with about 15% tongue weight (I would prefer 10%). Weight distribution is therefore a constant battle.
I agree aluminum would keep the weight down up top, and I can handle the extra cost, but I do prefer the strength and repairability of steel.

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
It's an Off Grid Pando 2.0 modified teardrop. Very capable but yes, about 3200 lbs at full load, including 33 gallons of water (GVWR 3500).
Unfortunately, I believe they missed a bit on axle placement when designing the trailer and left it with about 15% tongue weight (I would prefer 10%). Weight distribution is therefore a constant battle.
I agree aluminum would keep the weight down up top, and I can handle the extra cost, but I do prefer the strength and repairability of steel.
Yea, my brother in law rented an off road excursion trailer. For the amount of money one of em costs one would think axle placement would have been more of a priority.