Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arlington, WA
First Name
Dakota
Last Name
Howard
Member #

I’ve been searching the forum on baskets and can’t find much. I have a Subaru crosstrek and am looking for a basket that won’t break the bank. $200 is prolly my absolute limit. I won’t be carrying anything crazy. Maybe a tote and some wood, and then my shovel axe an awning when I get that and my pvc fishing rod holder for those trips that I can fish on. Thanks in advance

McCannUSA

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Anderson, CA
Member #

I have a GOBI rack on order for my 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but while I'm waiting for it to get built I needed something to use. I ended up ordering one made by APEX. All in all it's a pretty nice rack and I think it was less that $125 shipped. They also have it on Ebay under the name stingray, low profile rack for $95 without the wind fairing but make sure you get a fairing for it, it is really loud without it.
20171231_150734.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Silverback_WK2

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@Steve what was the basket you had on your suby? Was it the yakima?
Thanks for the tag, Chris.

Yep, I had a Yakima Load Warrior on the Outback. Mine as shown had the optional 18" extension, which might be a bit long for a Crosstrek. I originally had it mounted on the factory crossbars (as shown in the attached photo.) Later, I took off the crossbars and added longer Thule bars to move the bike racks outboard instead of on top of the basket.

You can often find used baskets for a song on Craigslist or your local classifieds.

DSC_0004-3153x2102.jpg

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

Looks like we are in the same boat. I've got a '15 Outback and I've been searching high and low for good recommendations.... I'm looking for something fairly inexpensive as well and something that isn't SUPER loud at highway speeds. I understand there is always going to be some noise as you start to change the overall dynamics of the car, especially when adding things to the roof, but I'm sure some manufacturers are better at engineering these things than others. I've looked at Curt, Reese, Rola, yakima, and thule and they all have great reviews and horrible reviews. Trying to stay away fro the more expensive ones like the latter 2 I just mentioned. I will keep my eyes on this thread and see if anything good pops up!

Beer Hounds

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeville, MN, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Pettit
Member #

Rola. I have had them on my 3rd gen and now my 5th gen and it works great. I fabricated some brackets for quick fists to hold my shovel and axe, and mounted my Rigid 30" light bar to the front. The worst thing about my set up is the wind noise, but that is what the volume knob is for. 20190111_160631.jpg

Reactions: bumpo83

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

I havent seen a basket setup that i like yet for my crosstrek. Gonna wait a few years and see if anything i like comes out.

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

I have a GOBI rack on order for my 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but while I'm waiting for it to get built I needed something to use. I ended up ordering one made by APEX. All in all it's a pretty nice rack and I think it was less that $125 shipped. They also have it on Ebay under the name stingray, low profile rack for $95 without the wind fairing but make sure you get a fairing for it, it is really loud without it.
View attachment 44563
Ever get the Gobi?

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

My original pic in this thread is outdated. So here is a currrent pic of my ROLA roof basket with the lights attached.
The top pic is how it is now with the lights closer together and the air dam off. The goal is to add 2 more lights on front and 2 more on back.
I currently have two 4-inch square LED's on back on a separate switch. Tailgaters at night learn quickly not to tailgate me.

IMG_20180506_095828_067.jpg 20171216_133456.jpg