Rodents

• HTML tutorial

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
1) Keep the doors closed (obviously there are times when this is not feaasible, hence point #2)
2) we have mosquito netting which is keep the mosquitoes and other insects out when the tail gate or windows are open and this seems to keep rodents out as well.
3) to protect against rodents getting into the engine compartment or elsewhere outside the body there's not much which can be done, however if you can see obvious rodent habitat don't camp there. There are repellents marketed however I have no experience with them, and am sceptical of their efficacity.

Reactions: rgallant

Ben_There_82

Rank II

Contributor III

First Name
Ben
Last Name
Matney
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Wondering what other members do to deter rodents from visiting their rig.
At work we use peppermint essential oils mixed 50/50 with water in a spray bottle. I’m the foreman of mechanic shop. We have a rather large fleet that we maintain and some of them don’t get used very often. So we use this in the engine bay. Also, dryer sheets help too. Put those in glove compartments, consoles, and zip tie a couple to the battery terminals. Days/mice love copper wire. Spray the mixture heavily on a cool and dry engine. Get as many nooks and crannies as you can.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
At work we use peppermint essential oils mixed 50/50 with water in a spray bottle. I’m the foreman of mechanic shop. We have a rather large fleet that we maintain and some of them don’t get used very often. So we use this in the engine bay. Also, dryer sheets help too. Put those in glove compartments, consoles, and zip tie a couple to the battery terminals. Days/mice love copper wire. Spray the mixture heavily on a cool and dry engine. Get as many nooks and crannies as you can.
Thanks

Reactions: Ben_There_82

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

For the engine bay, I have read of this method as well as used it; prop the hood open once you're settled at your campsite. That makes it less of an enclosed enticement for the little buggers. Last year I popped the hood to check on something and had a tiny face look at me before it ducked back into the depths. I was able to chase the mouse out and then was concerned it would find a way into the vehicle. My pursuit must have convinced it that my Jeep was not a suitable home because I didn't have any more issues on that trip. I also have a sonic w/ flashing lights rodent repellent unit that was recommended by a number of folks in a forum thread. (from somewhere...) It seems to work..

Reactions: Alanymarce

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

We had a chipmunk chew off two wiring harnesses under our side by side, so I'm all in on the rodent prevention! What we're doing now is the peppermint oil spray and Irish spring soap. Got my fingers crossed.

Reactions: 4x4ready