South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Anyone have issues when parked for several days? Apparently the soy-based insulation can be attractive to mice, rats, and other rodents. On another forum I saw some suggestions of deploying moth balls as a deterrent and Honda has a rodent wrap wiring tape that is a bit expensive. Just wondering if anyone has had any problems of this nature? I have mice storing food and trying to nest occasionally in vehicles that don't move much. I may try some mothballs since that's easy.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've heard about it more with older Fords using wiring made in Mexico that had vegetable-based insulation. That was years ago, though.

I haven't heard much about it since, other than sporadic references to the same problem from yrs ago. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen now, though I just personally haven't run across anyone having that problem.

I've never had problems with any of my own vehicles and rodents chewing wiring. Did have mice along the border getting inSIDE the van and going after stored bread, and starting to nest in one of my side cupboards. Mousetraps solved that pretty quick.

There are anti-rat sprays one can spray around that affect their smell, so they stay away. No personal experience with it, though.

EDIT: Evidently, according to a quick search, there was a class action suit against Toyota for this problem:

Reactions: FishinCrzy

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

In many parts of West Europe you have this kind animals called marder, not sure if you have it over there, that likes to chew on wires, and many companies offer insurance for that as well. Mostly I heard about it in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.. In some parts of the country side they are a real problem.
Most common solution are some ultrasound devices that you install, also VW came up with some kind of plastic bits that block access to the engine bay.
marderbiss-horst-schmidt-fotoliacom.jpg
When I was living in Germany I had one chewing on some kind of sound/thermal insulation bit that was on top of a very thin engine skid plate on my daily driver, a Toyota C-HR hybrid.
Got lucky it did not try some of the 300V cables.. :)

Last edited:

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Not rodents but I had geese on the farm chew the plastic conduit off my 98 F150 trailer wiring harness. Left the wires alone for some reason but that conduit must have had something in it.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Geese!? Dang! I know squirrels will chew aluminum and anything else softer than a rock. I have heard of marmots will chew stuff but never been around marmots. Rodents chew. Also, raccoons and opossums reported to cause problems but I 've never seen them mess with a vehicle...unless it smells like food. Some say the salt that comes off the road in winter attracts varmints. I know a guy that swears he had a truck that deer loved to lick on. Probably some lead in the paint or road salt.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Last year we learned a trick from some "Old Timers". Use a zip tie to hold a 1"x3" piece of soft wood under your hood that is soaked in pure peppermint oil. Rats, mice and other rodents will not go near the smell.
This was after a $1000 repair job to my wife's CRV. We have not had a problem since.

On the trail if there is a rodent issue we leave our hoods open at night, the rodents wont move into an area that is open. This one we learned from NPS personnel while we camped in the Mojave Preserve.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
The desert/river crowd (think Glamis/Colorado river) use lights.

These would be folks who have vehicles which they leave for months at a time. Rodents can do a lot of damage in that time. Major bummer to discover when you come out to play and find your toys are inoperable.

In this age of low draw LEDs the task is even easier.

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Here in the PNW, I get at least 1 rig/week over the winter months in for wiring repair. This past year was the worst I've ever seen.

We use the Honda "Mouse tape" as mentioned in another thread. Drier sheets work as well if you change them out every week.

I've seen cedar chips, peppermint spray, rat traps glued to engine covers and fender wells, moth balls, actual lemons. There are also sonic deterrents that you can hook up. Your mileage will vary, obviously. But the best deterrent is the one where you drive the vehicle a couple miles every day or two.