Rockers/Sliders

• HTML tutorial

Advocate II

So while talking rigs today I took a look at my rockers and it looks like they maybe starting to rust through. If this is the case I am thinking about cutting them out completely and welding some 2x6 rectangular steel in their place. Taking care of the rocker issue, strengthening the subframe and providing some solid sliders. Anyone done anything like this before?

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

So while talking rigs today I took a look at my rockers and it looks like they maybe starting to rust through. If this is the case I am thinking about cutting them out completely and welding some 2x6 rectangular steel in their place. Taking care of the rocker issue, strengthening the subframe and providing some solid sliders. Anyone done anything like this before?
While I support the idea of replacing failing rockers with 2x6 steel. in order to support the whole weight of the truck being dropped on it, you're likely going to want to tie those into the frame, and not just the body assembly.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

It depends on the vehicle. I assume this is a body-on-frame and not a unibody?

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I would be cautious about typing the frame to the body. On some vehicles the body mounts are designed to give a little play between the two. I would hate for your sliders to cause damage to the fenders due to excessive frame flex in a full-articulation obstacle.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

The only thing I would be cautious about is welding them to the sheet metal of the body/ subframe. From my tire carrier project I learned that some places you can weld on with no problem and others you just blow holes no matter what. Depends on how thick or how many layers the sheet metal is.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

Not a bad idea. Its hard to tell where is going to weld well and where isn't. I honestly wished the WJ was body on frame for that project. Would have made the design and fabrication easier.

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
I like the idea. I think it is your best option. Seen it done many ways and it seems to work, but part of my decision to avoid a Jeep suv was due to the lack of frame.

I have seen where they use a wider 2x and then tie in some fender bars to the front and rear bumpers for protection...a sort of mini-exo ringing the bottom and it seems really nice.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

For a unibody Jeep sure I'd go that way. For a body on frame vehicle no.

jwhughes3

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Antonio, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

I did that with 2x2" .25" wall tube angled on the ends - its worked out well and looks better than bashed in rockers and stands up to rocks fine. I tied some flat steel plate underneath across the empty space across to the pinch weld to tie and support it in place.