Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Are rock sliders worth it for very mild to mild wheeling? If so, which would be a good brand to go with for a Jeep WJ?

I like the idea of having a step, and I'm all for the protection, but I haven't been wow'd by anything I've seen as I'd have to modify the plastics.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Mild wheeling sometimes turns into something unplanned and so with that said sliders are very cheep insurance. As for what brand I don't have a recommendation for your rig other than make sure they attach to the frame.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

IMO Probably the second most important modification to make to a vehicle that will be used for any kind of real off-roading would be a good set of sliders. The first of course being quality tires. Decent sliders should be able to support the side of the vehicle and can be crucial in squeezing through tight spots, sliding into things, hi lift jacking, being a good solid step, and obviously to aid in sliding over obstacles. Mine have gotten plenty of use and have saved my truck from significant damage a few times. A lot less lift and tire size is required in most conditions if you have good sliders and skids. All it takes is one easy trail run gone bad and you’ve wiped out the side of your truck on a boulder etc... I am a fan off the kick out style myself after having it work exactly as designed once when I slid into and along a tree for the length of the slider. It actually did move the rear end over when it reached the kick out enough to avoid dragging the rear of the truck bed on the tree. A fun bonus of having sliders is getting to park in the good spots in the parking lot without getting door dings. It’s funny seeing the new half moon marks on the sliders from people swinging their doors inconsiderately into my truck. All Pro sliders have zero give, consequently there are several cars out there with severely damaged door edges now.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
It's the first thing I put on my new Tacoma. My old Landcruiser has a permanent dent below the passenger door and behind the front wheel because the previous owner was driving on his deer lease and dropped off a small "step" that was deeper than he thought. It's not worth fixing but even crappy sliders would have prevented the damage. I bought my sliders from AllPro Off Road and they bolt to the frame. They look great and will support the weight of the vehicle. The way I see it they were about $300 more than my insurance deductible of $500 if I damaged my brand new truck. Most people will probably say to get a lift and new tires first and that's cool but to me sliders come first. I attached an image so you can see how they turned out for me. I'm very happy with them.tacoma-for-web.jpg

Reactions: John~SWNM

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

IMO Probably the second most important modification to make to a vehicle that will be used for any kind of real off-roading would be a good set of sliders. The first of course being quality tires. Decent sliders should be able to support the side of the vehicle and can be crucial in squeezing through tight spots, sliding into things, hi lift jacking, being a good solid step, and obviously to aid in sliding over obstacles. Mine have gotten plenty of use and have saved my truck from significant damage a few times. A lot less lift and tire size is required in most conditions if you have good sliders and skids. All it takes is one easy trail run gone bad and you’ve wiped out the side of your truck on a boulder etc... I am a fan off the kick out style myself after having it work exactly as designed once when I slid into and along a tree for the length of the slider. It actually did move the rear end over when it reached the kick out enough to avoid dragging the rear of the truck bed on the tree. A fun bonus of having sliders is getting to park in the good spots in the parking lot without getting door dings. It’s funny seeing the new half moon marks on the sliders from people swinging their doors inconsiderately into my truck. All Pro sliders have zero give, consequently there are several cars out there with severely damaged door edges now.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
^ This

Reactions: John~SWNM

gtomike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Milford,MA
Member #

I got mine before my trip to Moab in 2016.
I was timid that first trip because I didn't have any experience wheeling on slickrock
This year,If I thought I had a chance of making it up a difficult line or obstacle,I tried it without much hesitation.
The sliders were used for their intended purpose and saved my Rockers and bedsides on a few occasions

I was involved in an accident in August where a guy ran a red light into the drivers' side of my PowerWagon.
I had to replace the front door and the rocker panel outer skin.
If I didn't have the sliders to take the brunt of the hit,there would have been some serious structural damage to the cab,which,most likely would have totaled the truck.
So,in essence,the $1400 I spent on sliders saved me about $30k I would have to pay to replace the truck with a new one

Last edited:

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I completely mashed the passenger side rocker panel on my 98 Cherokee on my very first mild wheeling trip in it. I pulled the step tubes off my Xterra yesterday and my sliders should be here by early December.

If you have the slightest bit of "we'll give it a try" or "that doesn't look too bad" in you, armor is always worth it.

gtomike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Milford,MA
Member #

I completely mashed the passenger side rocker panel on my 98 Cherokee on my very first mild wheeling trip in it. I pulled the step tubes off my Xterra yesterday and my sliders should be here by early December.

If you have the slightest bit of "we'll give it a try" or "that doesn't look too bad" in you, armor is always worth it.
Now I see the difficult line and say"I'm trying that"
I don't always make it,but I'll always try

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I've been told either JCR or KOR sliders are the way to go on a WJ. Anyone have any experience with either brand?
I don't have any experience with KOR's sliders, but I did buy some things from them for my Cherokee and the customer service was top notch and they took care of a "lost in shipping" issue I had with some bushings for a track bar with one phone call. Nothing but good things to say about Kevin and his crew.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I have a set of Slee Sliders sitting in the garage waiting to go on my Tundra. When I started this new build, a good set of structural sliders (that also work as steps) were high on my list. Now if it would only warm up enough for me to install them.