Roaming around the desert

• HTML tutorial

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
Day 11

Today was mostly road driving, we left our little hideout in the desert and entered the bizarre world of the salton sea and Palm Springs area.

While researching for this trip I often wondered why there wasn’t much going on around the salton sea. It didn’t take long after arriving to figure it out and we left shortly after!

Then we headed up into the mountains just outside of the Palm Springs area for an epic mtb ride. I dropped Lauren off and drove back down to pick her up.

It’s some incredible terrain out here, not much of a bike community, but this trail was a little gem. By the time she got done, it was pretty late into the evening. We needed to run some errands before taking off into the desert again, so we decided to camp in the NF nearby (right by the top of this trail) and then I could ride it the following day and we could do our chores.

So we drove back up, to about 3300’ and the temps quickly dropped down to near freezing.

It turned out to be a really nice camp spot, we’ve just been getting some cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
Day 12

Broke camp in the cold. Then I got dropped off at the top of the epic mtb trail!

GPTempDownload.jpg

IMG_5813.JPG

IMG_5815.JPG

Then we did some chores in town. Resupplied and laundry. After that we headed to the other side of Joshua tree ntl prk. In the 29 palms area for some nice dispersed camping. Quesadilla night while the sun set, hard to beat that!

GPTempDownload.jpg

Mojave bound next!

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Day 12

Broke camp in the cold. Then I got dropped off at the top of the epic mtb trail!

View attachment 48754

View attachment 48755

View attachment 48756

Then we did some chores in town. Resupplied and laundry. After that we headed to the other side of Joshua tree ntl prk. In the 29 palms area for some nice dispersed camping. Quesadilla night while the sun set, hard to beat that!

View attachment 48757

Mojave bound next!

Is that a Pink Flamingo? :sunglasses:

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
Is that a Pink Flamingo? :sunglasses:
Sure is! Fancy is his name and he reminds me that we’re on island time...

Day 13

Today we moved from the Joshua Tree area to the Mojave national preserve. Another beautiful desert! Before finding camp we went and checked out the lava tubes.

Then we found a little wash to get down out of the wind.

Went up an active volcano!!! Jk. But it was still cool.

Then had a lovely dinner and turned in early to warm up and work on our video for last week, which I’ll post once it finally uploads! (We’re currently sitting at a Burger King to upload lol)

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Sure is! Fancy is his name and he reminds me that we’re on island time...

Day 13

Today we moved from the Joshua Tree area to the Mojave national preserve. Another beautiful desert! Before finding camp we went and checked out the lava tubes.

Then we found a little wash to get down out of the wind.

Went up an active volcano!!! Jk. But it was still cool.

Then had a lovely dinner and turned in early to warm up and work on our video for last week, which I’ll post once it finally uploads! (We’re currently sitting at a Burger King to upload lol)

Well that's fancy...:smiley: Love the name and its meaning. Great shots as usual. Look forward to the new video. :sunglasses:

Reactions: pyrotyro
S

SubeeBen

Awesome pictures and adventure thanks for all the posts & enjoy you time looks awesome ✌

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
Day 14

Packed it up and headed into Death Valley! Airing down for comfort (and to save the eggs!)

Incredible mountains out here!

The wind kicked up again pretty good, so we were less then eager to make camp, so we pretty drove late into the night. And found a campground that wasn’t so windy.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
Nice video work. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to the DV Video.
Thanks for the kind words! We’re working on it [emoji41]

Awesome video. Looks like a great adventure good for you guys living the Dream !!!!
Thank you! It’s been very fun!

Day 16

The wind was kind to us and we had a very peaceful night in saline valley. I got up and watched the sunrise from the hot spring before we packed everything up... then had a pretty long commute out of the park to Big Pine.

We put in some miles, resupplied and ended up not far out of Vegas. Found us a little spot near red rock park.

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
Looks like a really good trip so far, thanks for sharing it.
It’s been super fun! Thanks for following along.

Day 17

We got up and Lauren rode her bike down from camp while I drove the Jeep down to meet her. Then we cruised through the Vegas strip before heading towards Sedona. We were planning on doing a down day at a lake to chill before heading back into AZ, but another front was coming in promising rain and wind. So we decided it would be better to just get there and weather the storm instead of traveling through and setting up to pack up wet.

Day 18

Much needed rest day. The weather held off until dark, so we got a pretty day to just chill around and hang at camp! Caught up on journaling, finished our next video and got to read.

Went to bed with the sound of rain on the tent, and temperatures dropping...

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
Day 20-25

So we spent almost a week in Sedona. My fiancé was busy busy with helping with her mountain bike event. Setting up, teaching, leading rides, and breaking back down. My buddy came down to hang out, so we hiked and biked and made campfires to drink beer around...

So then we headed down to Phx and we are currently hanging with fam. We are leaving the bikes here, repacking lighter, washing clothes, resupplying big ticket items, etc etc. We will stay until later in the week, and then head back to socal to cross into Mexico with another OB member Saturday.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Day 20-25

So we spent almost a week in Sedona. My fiancé was busy busy with helping with her mountain bike event. Setting up, teaching, leading rides, and breaking back down. My buddy came down to hang out, so we hiked and biked and made campfires to drink beer around...

So then we headed down to Phx and we are currently hanging with fam. We are leaving the bikes here, repacking lighter, washing clothes, resupplying big ticket items, etc etc. We will stay until later in the week, and then head back to socal to cross into Mexico with another OB member Saturday.

Still loving your adventure and the Tibetan prayer flags and the pink flamingo. :sunglasses: