Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Vonderhaar
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LNT
PSA - Roam Adventure Company sells your email.

I can use any email address I want in my personal domain. For example, my email sign-up here is overlandbound@<mydomain.com>

I do this to filter emails easily but also to see who sells my email. After years and years of this, where it's never happened, it finally happened. Roam Adventure Company sold my email to at least three companies. I stopped counting after 3.

I know they sold it because all the email groups I was added to are related to Overlanding, van life, camping, etc.

I own Roam gear. It's a very disappointing business practice. Don't give them your email unless you don't care about needing to unsubscribe to things you didn't sign up for. This won't be a big deal for some people, and that's fine. For me, it's an exploitative way to treat a customer. Cross-posting this to groups and communities I am active in.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If you think that's bad, the dealer I bought my truck from sold my email and my phone number. Like you I have multiple emails. I stupidly used my main email when I bought my truck. Three weeks later, at the beginning of the next month, I came home to almost 200 spam emails. My "unknown number" calls were close to 50 a day. I ended up making a new email for my main account. It is down to about 200 a month now ( I check it once in a while)
The dealer was the only time I broke my routine. According to one of the managers there, it was a clause I signed that I didn't pay attention to.

EDIT: Forgot to add. I don't unsubscribe to the spam. I just block them. To me, unsubscribing tells them its an email someone reads.

Last edited: