Rimrocker Trail, Montrose CO to Moab UT

• HTML tutorial

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Has anyone done this trail? I've read it is 162 miles. Can it be done in a day? (12 hours?) I'm heading with some friends to Moab in October and we're looking at taking this trail on the last leg of the trip there.

Is that a better route? Our plan is to overnight at a hotel in Montrose, then hit the trail early the next morning. I have read that there is a good camp ground somewhere in the middle of it, so if it takes longer than a day, we could camp there.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated! Btw, we'll all be in Jeep Wranglers. I've also read this trail is pretty mild, but beautiful.

Thanks!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

We did the trail Labor day weekend of last year. I'm not sure you can do it in 12 hours (maybe if you started first thing in the morning like 5 ish and kept a good pace you might be ok) at the Utah Border there is a nice campground which if I get the chance to run it again to Moab I think we will start very early and plan on camping there and then continue on to Moab. I must say it sure bets racing to Moab via the freeway!

One thing is keep your selves spread out. the red clay dust that is kicked up will stick to your cooling fans throwing them off balance. It will seem like the bearings are shot.

Reactions: DanW