AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I don't know of any weather stations on it. Plenty of bail out points. Probably hard to know unless you get someone who visits it right before your trip.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I would follow the official Facebook page. We're hoping to go just before Thanksgiving, but snow is a serious concern forbus as well.

Reactions: MOAK and 1Louder

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

With the early snow yesterday and the Farmers Almanac calling for a cold and snowy winter, its a crap shoot. But as others have said, there are plenty of places to get off the trail and back on asphalt if snow does become an issue. I will be there the first week of Oct and am really not concerned about snow there. Freezing temps on Imogene, Corkscrew and Animas are a bit more concerning.

Reactions: MOAK

willby24

Rank I

Contributor III

IL
First Name
Will
Last Name
Brettman
I was just on it last week. I did the first leg and the third leg, skipped the middle section to save some time. The first part is easy gravel roads basically. Some snow wouldn't scare me off. The very beginning of the 3rd leg could be interesting though with snow, there is a few good climbs next to cliffs. You'd just have to wait and see what the weather does that week.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Is there a map that one could follow on Gaia or All Trails. Can’t seem to find one and going in it in about 10 days.
The official website has PDF maps. You can also download tracks and import them into Gaia GPS or other GPS apps. If "you" are a trailsoffroad subscriber they also have their own version of a track with additional waypoints.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Trailsoffroad .gpx file I am using for my trip in a few weeks.

GPX viewer
I believe the TOS from TrailsOffroad say we are not allowed to share tracks. This trail is one of the free featured trails where people can download the trail guide and track if they create a free account. An account is supposed to be required though.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I believe the TOS from TrailsOffroad say we are not allowed to share tracks. This trail is one of the free featured trails where people can download the trail guide and track if they create a free account. An account is supposed to be required though.
I was one of the original trail guys for Todd (@ Trailsoffroad).. Once into it I found I really didn’t care for point to point detailed directions. IMO it’s a lot more fun, interesting , adventurous and gratifying to occasionally become misplaced when out and about. I have downloaded the detailed directions complete with gps coordinates. I doubt we’ll use these much as I do enjoy using paper maps and compass over any other navigation tool.

Reactions: Louiston

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Has anyone on here been on the Rim Rocker Trail? I’ve found quite a bit of info on the web site. Our primary concern would be snowfall averages during the first week of Oct. thanks for any info.
Yes, it is great fun! As long as they don't get too much rainfall, the only real rugged part is in Utah, but its great fun! We ran from Montrose to Moab in mid October of 2018. Saw very little snow and the water crossings had essentially no water in them. Weather was beautiful. We did the Utah portion at night, which was a great experience where we actually got to try out all the expensive lights we have on our rigs!

The trail gets tight in Utah, too, but somehow I avoided pin stripes from brush except for a couple on my plastic rear side windows.

I'm looking forward to doing the trail again sometime!

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I posted it knowing it was free. I think the paid trail maps are embedded not to work without a member key, which is embedded... or so I was told.