Rigs & Coffee @ Uwharrie - 09/09/2017

• HTML tutorial

tsingson

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

RTP, NC
Member #

Not sure if I will be able to. Supposed to go to Cars and Coffee in Greensboro with the Miata.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

These trails stock friendly? Easy to navigate out there?
@Benjamin, I wouldn't recommend hitting this road in a stock setup. I missed it if you posted what you're driving, but there's a few obstacles on this trail that you can only partially get around and I don't know if a stock vehicle would make it. Any of you who know the area better please speak up.

I'll try to get some photos posted up tonight, but here's a quick trip report. We got to Brown Mtn around 11am. Weather was perfect, and the woman who sold us our passes said they hadn't had rain in over a week so it wasn't too muddy. We drove to the trail head and aired down and headed out. My buddy was driving his 2000 XJ (3" lift on 31's) and I was in a 2000 TJ (4" lift on 33's). First thing we noticed is the parking lot was empty. This was our first time there, so we weren't sure if that was normal. Brown is more of an ATV/Bike area and we were expecting to see more toy haulers.

We headed up the #1 trail (only one that's "officially" open to Jeeps). It's marked as a 12 mile trail but my GPS only clocked it at 9 miles. The trail was great, starts off easy like someone planned it that way. Most obstacles you run into have an easier way around them, or so it seemed. My buddy just got his XJ and this was his first time out. He took some of the alternates in the beginning, but soon enough was hitting just about everything. We worked our way through the first part of the trail stopping to spot for each other and talk about any of the fun ones we had just gotten through. We made our way up to the mud pond and hung out for a bit. A guy on a bike and a group of Razor's joined us up there and we talked for a while. Everyone agreed, the park was empty.

As we got back on the trail another Jeep came up behind us. A guy named Adam with a Rubicon - 4" lift on 35's, he had a nice setup. We talked with him and he was out there with his family and knew the trail well. He warned us about a tough spot coming up and talked us through it when we got there. Steep hill climb with a couple of plateaus and a wall on either side of you with a 2' water rut going down the middle. You don't want slip and get your tire in that rut. Took me a couple of tries but I got through it. The XJ found an alternate approach and bypassed the worst of it, but still ended up tottering on his front passenger and rear driver wheels at one point as he worked his way up. We got through it and drove up to a rocky plateau and parked and made a cup of coffee.

Because it wasn't crowded we had taken our time but it was getting late and we still needed to find a campsite. We headed down the mountain, got to the parking lot, aired back up and spoke to a few folks who were also packing up. We grabbed one of the primitive campsites near the entrance to the park and cooked steaks and homemade pizza for dinner. Lit a fire, opened a beer and reminisced. We were going to hit Richland Rd the next day, but my rear passenger wheel hub started making some noise so we lollygagged around camp a bit then headed back to Charlotte.

Great trip and perfect weather. Sorry it didn't work out that the larger group could make it, but there'll be another time.

tsingson

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

RTP, NC
Member #

That looks like fun. My Expedition probably would have been terrible on the easy stuff. I would need alternates for everything.

Reactions: kopper99

GunDude

Rank V

Influencer II

Looking forward to some pics! Now, my daughter and her boyfriend want to go camping there this Friday. Good to hear had good time! I wouldn't mind doing Richland rd again someday.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: tsingson

Benjamin

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Western North Carolina
Member #

@Benjamin, I wouldn't recommend hitting this road in a stock setup. I missed it if you posted what you're driving, but there's a few obstacles on this trail that you can only partially get around and I don't know if a stock vehicle would make it. Any of you who know the area better please speak up.

I'll try to get some photos posted up tonight, but here's a quick trip report. We got to Brown Mtn around 11am. Weather was perfect, and the woman who sold us our passes said they hadn't had rain in over a week so it wasn't too muddy. We drove to the trail head and aired down and headed out. My buddy was driving his 2000 XJ (3" lift on 31's) and I was in a 2000 TJ (4" lift on 33's). First thing we noticed is the parking lot was empty. This was our first time there, so we weren't sure if that was normal. Brown is more of an ATV/Bike area and we were expecting to see more toy haulers.

We headed up the #1 trail (only one that's "officially" open to Jeeps). It's marked as a 12 mile trail but my GPS only clocked it at 9 miles. The trail was great, starts off easy like someone planned it that way. Most obstacles you run into have an easier way around them, or so it seemed. My buddy just got his XJ and this was his first time out. He took some of the alternates in the beginning, but soon enough was hitting just about everything. We worked our way through the first part of the trail stopping to spot for each other and talk about any of the fun ones we had just gotten through. We made our way up to the mud pond and hung out for a bit. A guy on a bike and a group of Razor's joined us up there and we talked for a while. Everyone agreed, the park was empty.

As we got back on the trail another Jeep came up behind us. A guy named Adam with a Rubicon - 4" lift on 35's, he had a nice setup. We talked with him and he was out there with his family and knew the trail well. He warned us about a tough spot coming up and talked us through it when we got there. Steep hill climb with a couple of plateaus and a wall on either side of you with a 2' water rut going down the middle. You don't want slip and get your tire in that rut. Took me a couple of tries but I got through it. The XJ found an alternate approach and bypassed the worst of it, but still ended up tottering on his front passenger and rear driver wheels at one point as he worked his way up. We got through it and drove up to a rocky plateau and parked and made a cup of coffee.

Because it wasn't crowded we had taken our time but it was getting late and we still needed to find a campsite. We headed down the mountain, got to the parking lot, aired back up and spoke to a few folks who were also packing up. We grabbed one of the primitive campsites near the entrance to the park and cooked steaks and homemade pizza for dinner. Lit a fire, opened a beer and reminisced. We were going to hit Richland Rd the next day, but my rear passenger wheel hub started making some noise so we lollygagged around camp a bit then headed back to Charlotte.

Great trip and perfect weather. Sorry it didn't work out that the larger group could make it, but there'll be another time.
Thanks for the info. I have a 2013 4Runner. Can't decide what lift to get

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I will be at Uwharrie Saturday at 9:00 am if anyone wants to meetup for try #3. I may be camping as well. I will update the Rally Point... again.

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I enjoy the hillclimb there, especially the right side with the water rut. I have only had an issue there going down it with no spotter. I almost put the Isuzu on its' driver side door. Definately had it on 2 wheels, it was scary but awesome.

@tsingson the difficult obstacles are on trail #8 IMO, it loops around and rejoins with #1 at the hill climb. I have seen stock Xterra's make it thru #8 but your long wheel base would not make it. If we ever go there as a group you could easily park your Ford at the top of #1 (bottom of the hill climb)and tag along with someone for #8.

Robbie

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Charlotte
Looking like I'll be able to make it out on Saturday.

I finished my build on this JKU Rubicon Hard Rock early in the Spring. Yet I've only had it out once! Hoping to get some solid trail time in.

Reactions: tsingson

Robbie

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Charlotte
Just curious to see if anyone is going to make it? Seems like this kinda lost steam with the rescheduling.

I'm in, but don't want to roll up there solo.

kopper99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Indian Trail, NC, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Klemas
Member #

I enjoy the hillclimb there, especially the right side with the water rut. I have only had an issue there going down it with no spotter. I almost put the Isuzu on its' driver side door. Definately had it on 2 wheels, it was scary but awesome.

@tsingson the difficult obstacles are on trail #8 IMO, it loops around and rejoins with #1 at the hill climb. I have seen stock Xterra's make it thru #8 but your long wheel base would not make it. If we ever go there as a group you could easily park your Ford at the top of #1 (bottom of the hill climb)and tag along with someone for #8.
So I have a stock '11 Xterra Pro 4x with AT Tires and rear diff lock. I already get horrible gas mileage and with an hour commute to work every day I cant afford to lift it. Id like to try and find some good areas. You said Brown Mtn id be ok, is Richland Road pretty good? Im thinking of doing Hurricane Trail in October for an overnighter if anyone is interested.

Benjamin

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Western North Carolina
Member #

So I have a stock '11 Xterra Pro 4x with AT Tires and rear diff lock. I already get horrible gas mileage and with an hour commute to work every day I cant afford to lift it. Id like to try and find some good areas. You said Brown Mtn id be ok, is Richland Road pretty good? Im thinking of doing Hurricane Trail in October for an overnighter if anyone is interested.
Going out to hurricane creek this Monday-tuesday

NC-Trooper

Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Yeah you should be fine

Reactions: kopper99