Rigid Industries hyperspot VS Baja Designs racer edition VS VisionX Light Cannon

• HTML tutorial

Hemipower36

Rank 0

Contributor I

IMG_9318.JPG
I think this is a better option than the XL80 or racer. Price is a tad bit lower. I think they will be a better value for me. I haven’t quite made up my mind. But right now I am thinking XL pro and followed closely behind by a VisionX product (light cannon or ADV).

Annnnnd, you can get it in a 7 degree spot. A little bit tighter beam than the 10 degree light cannon. Which, I think that is what I am after.

Last edited:

Hemipower36

Rank 0

Contributor I

I have the vision x cg2’s on my wife’s Subaru. They are 10,500 lumens each and do a good job as a spot flood. Lots of trucks run the light cannons in Alaska because they are reliable.
VisionX Makes some great stuff. I would like the look of the 4.7” CG2 single led. I think the large deep reflector would look nice. Would look great on my top hoop. Thanks for sharing your set up.

Hemipower36

Rank 0

Contributor I

I am still having a hard time deciding. I am waiting to see what the lighting industry has up their sleeves next week during SEMA.

I think the VisionX ADV would be a great choice. But, the Baja Designs are just so damn functional with the ability to change the lens. I can literally move and use the BD light on various places on my vehicle down the road should the need arise.

Anyone else have any input?

Hemipower36

Rank 0

Contributor I

Have you looked at any of KC Lights?

Yes, actually, funny you bring them up. I have been emailing them back and forth. I am intrigued by their “Caron Pod.” It uses 2 20w LEDs angled into the reflector.
IMG_9639.JPG

Looks really good. Other than this photo from KC:
IMG_9640.JPG
There is zero info from other users. I have found nothing on YouTube or via google search on any reviews or write ups. No sure why, but it seems concerning sense the lights have been out a long time.

At 20w per light, I don’t think the pro sport’s price is justified:
IMG_9641.JPG

So, I am only really considering the Carbon Pod from KC.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yes, actually, funny you bring them up. I have been emailing them back and forth. I am intrigued by their “Caron Pod.” It uses 2 20w LEDs angled into the reflector.
View attachment 124963

Looks really good. Other than this photo from KC:
View attachment 124964
There is zero info from other users. I have found nothing on YouTube or via google search on any reviews or write ups. No sure why, but it seems concerning sense the lights have been out a long time.

At 20w per light, I don’t think the pro sport’s price is justified:
View attachment 124965

So, I am only really considering the Carbon Pod from KC.
Tough choice for sure. I don't see it in the OB store, but there are other styles that we do get a price break on - KCHiLiTES

Reactions: Hemipower36

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have been using BD for 3 years now, I love them. I have a XL racer and 2 XL 80 of the bumper of my Ram 2500. BD usesa inhouse design for their reflectors, it make all the difference the LP9 wasn't out when I got mine, I would consider it now. Waiting for SEMA is a good idea.

LostCoastNomad

Rank II

Advocate II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
LostCoastNomad
Member #

That LP series looks great on truck body styles like yours. If you didn’t have the OnX bar already then those LP9’s would be a perfect fit/look. Don’t know your feelings about Facebook marketplace or craigslist, but I often see good deals on used stuff here in Vegas. Do you have any local, small off-road shops nearby? Usually they are more willing to give better “locals” deals. Not to throw a wrench in things, but with the SEMA/Black Friday deals coming up the high volume sales typically lead to lots of things being on back order...have had a problem with that for an ARB twin compressor and Baja Designs products.

Hemipower36

Rank 0

Contributor I

Maybe BD can chime in, or a vendor, as to the release date? I am assuming after SEMA. Price is something I am curious about as well and hopefully it will be offered in an all spot optic. I am open to PM’s

Can’t stop thinking about these. Super excited.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarinRow

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I use Led's for ditch, spot, reverse. For throw, I want big halogens. FYRLYT are the best I've seen yet.

Snow and dust. Halogen throws better through it. LED's are often too bright up close, and too dim at distance. I find the blue led lights, and having to squint through a wall of light to see anything far away, completely fatiguing.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I use Led's for ditch, spot, reverse. For throw, I want big halogens. FYRLYT are the best I've seen yet.

Snow and dust. Halogen throws better through it. LED's are often too bright up close, and too dim at distance. I find the blue led lights, and having to squint through a wall of light to see anything far away, completely fatiguing.
Try getting the light in front of you, I gave up on overhead lights 20 years ago. A amber cover works wonders on LEDs. It's not the light it's the color of the light and where it's placed on the rig.

Hemipower36

Rank 0

Contributor I

Figured I would bump this up for a fresh set of eyes. With the Black Friday holiday promotions around the corner, I am still strategizing my purchase.

I have reached out to some vendors, most are offering in the ball park of 12.5% off, (I.e. alternative off-road). On top of that, Baja Designs is adding this on top:
IMG_9981.JPG

Pretty sick deals and a great time to buy a BD product.
Having said that. After crunching the numbers. Looks like the BD LP series is out of my budget. (Pair of LP4 will run me roughly $748 before tax and a pair of LP6 $756 before tax). Still a great deal! But the not included wiring harness pushes the LP over the edge unfortunately.

But, a pair of VisionX 6’7” ADV (adventure series) light, approximately $590 before tax.

Surprising, and definitely an eye brow raiser, is the BD XL80 coming in cheaper than the ADV at approximately $547 before tax.

I love the idea of the ADV back light. I wish the XL80 had it. I worry the ADV light will look like a glowing piece of Swiss cheese at night....

What do you guys think about those two options? Any particular reason why you personally would chose one over the other. I go back and forth.
View attachment 128256
View attachment 128257

(Not sure why the above two photos are not showing. Hopefully they pop up on your end. ADV, BD XL80).

Last edited:

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
I have the vision x cg2’s on my wife’s Subaru. They are 10,500 lumens each and do a good job as a spot flood.
Pardon my ignorance but what is a "spot flood?" Aren't those terms antithetical?

Hemipower36

Rank 0

Contributor I

So, after constant research and debate. Debate on a variety of forums. I elected to buy the VisionX 6’7” ADV Light Cannons. Initially I was just looking for the best thrower. But, then I decided a wanted a thrower with a back light.

This left the Baja Designs LP Series and the above mentioned VX ADV. The LP series was priced just out of my budget. So, I bought the VisionX ADV.

FACTOID!!!! Did you know, the Baja Designs Racer edition and VisionX ADV both use the CREE 10w XP-L high LED? And each LED is drawing the same amount of AMPs. Check it out for yourself. Do the math and you will be surprised. So, that was big on my decision too.
Adjustments.jpg
IMG_0342.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpgIMG_0259.jpg

• Love
Reactions: RoarinRow