Rigid Industries hyperspot VS Baja Designs racer edition VS VisionX Light Cannon

• HTML tutorial

Hemipower36

Rank 0

Contributor I

IMG_9269.JPG
IMG_9265.JPG
IMG_9268.JPG

I am torn. I enjoy high end lighting. I have experience with products from the above three companies:
Adjustments.JPG

If you had to pick one....which one and why? Help me pick my next pair to mount on the top hoop. :)

LostCoastNomad

Rank II

Advocate II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
LostCoastNomad
Member #

Not trying to undermine your choices, but more to understand for myself as I don’t have much experience and would like to learn more, but what steers you towards these options? From my understanding they’re more of a laser focus (1.5* - 4*) and intended specifically for racing to give the driver a view a mile ahead. If that’s what you’re going for, right on. Or if you just like cool stuff like that, awesome too. Have you looked into the Baja Designs LP6 or LP9?

Hemipower36

Rank 0

Contributor I

I familiar with the BD LP6/ LP9. I am considering the LP6 but the cost is drastically more. And the size on my top hoop might be over bearing.

I need a spot for the wide open roads. Something to reach out into the distance. I have hit wild life before. It sucks. Also, I have hit debris in the roadway. My flood pattern is covered and then some. I just need something to reach out.

Looking for someone to help me narrow down my choices. The light cannons are a 10 degree spot, a little less aggressive than the other two options, and might complement my other 4 light cannons nicely. Buuuut, still struggling to narrow it down.

LostCoastNomad

Rank II

Advocate II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
LostCoastNomad
Member #

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, spots could definitely help the wildlife issue haha.

I think the LP6 isn’t much more than that racer edition. Plus, they look a lot better on full size trucks like yours. I’ve been going through a place locally in Las Vegas that has great “locals” deals, but they’re also running a big sale on Rigid stuff this week - might help your choice for those Hyperspots. Is that the OnX6 bar already on your bumper?

Hemipower36

Rank 0

Contributor I

Good eye. The light bar is a 20” ONX+ from BD. Previously, I had a VisionX XPR and replaced it earlier this year.

Thoooose LP6’s are pretty nice. I guess they won’t look too bad. I might have to revisit the idea. I was toying with it awhile back.

You know what crazy, I try to buy all my lights on “Black Friday.” Which is just around the corner. A ton of online vendors usually give about 20% off. Takes a fat chunk off MSRP. At least based on my past experiences.

Reactions: EXPO_D1

LostCoastNomad

Rank II

Advocate II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
LostCoastNomad
Member #

I was looking really hard to get an OnX+ for my truck, but found a great deal on a 20” S8 and the S8 was able to fit in my grill with a little fabrication. The OnX housing was too big for where I wanted to put it. What lenses do you have on the bar? Driver/combo, wide angle, spot?

Comparing raw lumens the LP6 definitely outweighs the Rigid line and comparable on price depending on which Rigid, plus gives the option of driver/combo or spot lenses. Then there’s the LP9 which blows that out of the water too haha. Not sure of the entire lighting package you currently have, but the lower lumen lights may just be repetitive and not cover any more than your bar already does

Hemipower36

Rank 0

Contributor I

I had the combo lens on but I recently switched to the clear wide cornering flood.

The light bar is definitely my go to light. The four VisionX round lights, which were not cheap my any means, do a good job of filling in the ditches/ shoulder. What sucks it they are kinda recessed in the bumper housing which blocks some light.

Those LP9’s are a power house for sure. You got me considering the LP6’s for sure....

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
For looks I like the Vision X. It would match the round lights in the bumper and round headlight projectors.

Reactions: Hemipower36

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I'm disappointed with Baja customer service, emails and phone calls, NO REPLY.
The USA made lighting I have is maybe 15-20% brighter per watt, and the color is above 6k. Imports I have been using for over two years now are 100%, no condensation! No burned out LED's., Not as bright and color below 6k.

Hemipower36

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'm disappointed with Baja customer service, emails and phone calls, NO REPLY.
The USA made lighting I have is maybe 15-20% brighter per watt, and the color is above 6k. Imports I have been using for over two years now are 100%, no condensation! No burned out LED's., Not as bright and color below 6k.
Interesting. So far, I have no negative experience with BD. But, I haven’t needed any warranty work. They are active on this forum, and honestly, I don’t think any other lighting company reaches out to its customer base like BD does. Everyone’s experience is different. For me, I only see positive.

Just curious, what lighting set up are you running? You mentioned a USA made lighting company you use. I would love to check them out. Thanks.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Interesting. So far, I have no negative experience with BD. But, I haven’t needed any warranty work. They are active on this forum, and honestly, I don’t think any other lighting company reaches out to its customer base like BD does. Everyone’s experience is different. For me, I only see positive.

Just curious, what lighting set up are you running? You mentioned a USA made lighting company you use. I would love to check them out. Thanks.
My import lighting is from Auto Feel, they appear to make most of the lighting with numerous brand names added. I have a set of Squadron Sports as ditch lights, major condensation issue from day one. I attempted to get BD to send me new seals but I could not get any reply to both email and phone messages.
I took the BD's apart looking for a possible pinched seal, didn't see anything, dried them out, assembled, still leaked. Take 2, I added some silicone grease on the large O rings they use as seals, no help. Take 3, I used liquid electrical tape around the power cord on the inside of the light, this cured about 90+% of my problems. I'll see how they habdle the upcoming wet season here in Orygun.

There is zero doubt that BD is a superior light, for bang for the buck I think a quality import can do the job.
I have a 42" led bar on the roof rack set back about 3-4" from the windshield for reduced glare. 4 pods up front and I just added 2 amber pods hoping to improve visability in the rain and fog.

Hemipower36

Rank 0

Contributor I

No problemo. Be sure to post back on your decision WITH pictures :)
Can’t wait. Going to be about a month or so out. Going to shop around the Forum’s Black Friday promotions. Worked out great for me last year. Not uncommon to see vendors on here offer 20% off lights w/ free shipping. Seen it in the past. Stay tuned. Gives me time to do my research too.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

My only experience is with BD, my LP9’s can send usable light a 1/2 mile down an open HWY. But none of those choices look to disappoint.

Reactions: Hemipower36

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I just noticed that 20” BD bar already there. Have you simply tried a spot lens in that? I would hope the 4 other wide pattern lights in the bumper would satisfy that need.

That light on paper has basically has same raw lumens as my pair of LP9’s. Beam patterns may very a little.

LostCoastNomad

Rank II

Advocate II

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
LostCoastNomad
Member #

To kind of reiterate what Corbet was saying the spot lenses on the OnX bar might be a good thing to try if you haven’t already. You gave great ditch lights and fog lights to fill in close view. The lenses are a way cheaper trial than new spot lights

Hemipower36

Rank 0

Contributor I

I had the combo lens in for about a year. Problem is trying to angle all those spot lumens into the roadway in front of you. Since the light is mounted below the head lights, it causes a lot of the spot beam to run parallel with the ground. Sure, some lands on the road, but not all of it. Prob 50/50.

I just recently replaced the lens with the driving pattern. And I get much more light projected on the roadway and around me. I am pretty satisfied with it. Buuuut, my distance isn’t covered.

My top hoop of my bumper would be a great location I think for a spot light. The above two comments highlight a great problem and that is $$$$ spent. So, I don’t want to spend a ton of money. I can prob land a good deal during the incoming forum holiday promotions. Happens every year.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Much appreciated.