12express

Rank III

Enthusiast III

American Samoa
First Name
Corn
Last Name
Pop
Retired, I need very little but want a dry full bed every night and zero setup. I picked a Rubicon, best 4x4 ever. Compact manuverable, 2 lockers, great clearance, plenty of power. The Tacoma was the close second but I have no need for the box and the Rubi includes lockers.

I tow a home built slide in tear drop on a mirage 5x10 deck trailer. It'll follow the Jeep anywhere. Best part, park, roll in, sleep. Wake up to rain..... roll out of bed, drive away.

View attachment 116698

Looks like a TJ. 4.0 V6?

Now that fiat has their hands in Chrysler, I’m scared of the problems that may arise from the new JL.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

what kind of mpg
Here is the myth.

Yes some trucks have great EPA Ratings. But those are based on empty highway miles with just the driver. Load them, pull a trailer and they get no better mileage than a 1980s dually with a 454 and a camper. I almost bought an F150 Eco Diesel thing until I talked to people towing with them. Once you load anything and get off road they all suck gasoline the same.

My best mileage in the Rubi used to be 17mpg. Towing 12-14 with 33x10.50R15 KO2s

I just changed to ultra skinny 7.50R16s. Now I get 18mpg towing and 22mpg without a trailer and without trying to get great mpg. The tires made a 30% improvement. Much less rolling resistance I find myself braking hard for stop lights, the old 33s had so much drag just lifting off the gas was like hitting the brakes. AND my Jeep is 6" skinnier too.

I had a '93 F350 4x4 with a 460, clutch and a dump deck. It got 15mpg empty, loaded, city, highway.... 15mpg all the time.

Last edited:

12express

Rank III

Enthusiast III

American Samoa
First Name
Corn
Last Name
Pop
Here is the myth.

Yes some trucks have great EPA Ratings. But those are based on empty highway miles with just the driver. Load them, pull a trailer and they get no better mileage than a 1980s dually with a 454 and a camper. I almost bought an F150 Eco Diesel thing until I talked to people towing with them. Once you load anything and get off road they all suck gasoline the same.

That’s exactly why I’m asking people who own them what they are getting.

Beyond that, epa ratings are with work truck level trims, windows up, air off, and 3.21 or higher gearing with grandma driving. I don’t believe them, so I like real world user input.

Reactions: Billiebob

12express

Rank III

Enthusiast III

American Samoa
First Name
Corn
Last Name
Pop
???? Straight 6

Jeep, Kiaser, AMC, Peugeot, Chrysler, Daimler, Fiat.... there has always been someone to blame but it is still
Made in the USA.

Yes sorry. I meant inline 6. I must of had the 4Runner engine on my mind. A good portion of my truck was made in Mexico. I’m not a big complainer about where things are made, but I do like seeing Americans getting jobs before things are outsourced. I prefer to buy American, but when it comes to me getting the most for my dollar I’ll bend on that rule. At present, I believe the Tacoma and Tundra to be more American made than the big 3 are.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Yes sorry. I meant inline 6. I must of had the 4Runner engine on my mind. A good portion of my truck was made in Mexico. I’m not sure a big complainer about where things are made, but I do like seeing Americans getting jobs before things are outsourced. At present, I believe the Tacoma and Tundra to be more American made than the big 3 are.
good point, the assembly plant is in the USA

Reactions: 12express

12express

Rank III

Enthusiast III

American Samoa
First Name
Corn
Last Name
Pop
Yes sorry. I meant inline 6. I must of had the 4Runner engine on my mind. A good portion of my truck was made in Mexico. I’m not a big complainer about where things are made, but I do like seeing Americans getting jobs before things are outsourced. I prefer to buy American, but when it comes to me getting the most for my dollar I’ll bend on that rule. At present, I believe the Tacoma and Tundra to be more American made than the big 3 are.
I stand corrected for the 2019 year.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Here is the myth.

My best mileage in the Rubi used to be 17mpg. Towing 12-14 with 33x10.50R15 KO2s

I just changed to ultra skinny 7.50R16s. Now I get 18mpg towing and 22mpg without a trailer and without trying to get great mpg. The tires made a 30% improvement. Much less rolling resistance I find myself braking hard for stop lights, the old 33s had so much drag just lifting off the gas was like hitting the brakes. AND my Jeep is 6" skinnier too.

I had a '93 F350 4x4 with a 460, clutch and a dump deck. It got 15mpg empty, loaded, city, highway.... 15mpg all the time.
EPA rating :laughing: I know right? When has anyone ever got those numbers? “Not it” and I now being older consider myself to be a pretty mellow driver.

Good to hear the results you are getting from the skinnies. That’s what I’ll be going to next month for the Tacoma when I ditch the factory rubber. IMO way more pros than cons to a taller narrower tire. Fuel economy being just one. That and that I grew up rolling on them so it’s just what looks right to me on trucks & jeeps.

12express

Rank III

Enthusiast III

American Samoa
First Name
Corn
Last Name
Pop
EPA rating :laughing: I know right? When has anyone ever got those numbers? “Not it” and I now being older consider myself to be a pretty mellow driver.

Good to hear the results you are getting from the skinnies. That’s what I’ll be going to next month for the Tacoma when I ditch the factory rubber. IMO way more pros than cons to a taller narrower tire. Fuel economy being just one. That and that I grew up rolling on them so it’s just what looks right to me on trucks & jeeps.

I agree with the narrower tire aspect. I tend to look at tire weight when choosing a tire. Going narrower often helps. I’ve found that many factory wheels are also heavier than some aftermarket options.

Reactions: Ghost

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
A good friend of mine at the Riverkeeper has a newer tundra (the more "bulbous" body style). I think he says he gets around 16mpg, its bone stock. But having ridden in it for hours on end and packing quite a bit of scientific gear and going to some out of the way places I would say a Tundra is a solid option if you need the space. He also tows a small boat and uses it to haul trash that is recovered from our public lands. It also sees some downright abuse launching said small boat from boat ramps that are essentially small boulders. In short he works it like a truck and it hasnt missed a beat. Theres also room in the back seat for 2 child seats if thats a consideration for you (its a 4door) and still have enough space for another person between.

Reactions: 12express