Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

I was wondering if there were any hard mounted must haves on an overland rig. I'm not talking strays, jacks and shovels; I'm thinking more like winches, air compressors, water sources, how many Jerrycans, etc? I honestly don't plan on being on the road more than a long weekend with this first rig, and not in anything past a well cut trail/shallow creek. If it looks like I'm gonna get stuck in mud, ain't going there.

Reactions: awolfnspirit

rking.1688

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

Anybody done an air compressor mod off of an A/C compressor. I think a tank would be easy enough, but no need for an electric pump if I can do that. The other thing I was wondering is how many people have gone with larger alternators and a two battery setup for winches and such.

I haven't figured out for sure where, but I will be finding a spot for at least one long gun in the truck or camper. I rarely get to hunt these days, but it would be nice to have the option when I'm out and about.

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Since you brought up electrical, one of the things I have done with all of my vehicles and always recommend doing, is what's known as a "big three" upgrade. This is something I took from my time installing car audio where multiple amps are drawing huge amounts of current but it translates to this hobby as well. Basically you upgrade the wiring from alternator to battery, battery to chassis, and engine to chassis. I recommend going to a true 0 ga wiring for this, preferably OFC (not CCAW), with good soldered connections. I personally use welding cable. Doing this will help you get the most out of your electrical system, whether you're running stock or upgraded components. When you look at all of the added electrical components - winches, CBs and HAMs, refrigerators, air compressors, lighting - simply upgrading the battery and alternator isn't enough. Even if you install a 200a alternator, that wimpy 6 or 8 gauge wire will only flow so much current.

E

expeditionnorth

fire extinguisher & first aid kit mounted in the rear window area so they are easily accessible
also back there I keep an axe and machete

Reactions: NorthStar96

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Axe for chopping, zombies or shaving
Shovel for fires, zombies or diggin a duece pot
Gas cans
Water cans
Spare tire
Hi lift Jack
Ammo can-to store recovery gear and parts
Mounted lights
Mounted M249 for crowd control and/or
Mounted tire carrier to hold it all!

I have the OR FAB tire carrier which has been an awesome addition. Sturdy and strong. Unfortunately, OR FAB went out of business recently. Still a great product.

Old tire, now have a 35" on the carrier:

Reactions: ShawnR

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Axe for chopping, zombies or shaving
Shovel for fires, zombies or diggin a duece pot
Gas cans
Water cans
Spare tire
Hi lift Jack
Ammo can-to store recovery gear and parts
Mounted lights
Mounted M249 for crowd control and/or
Mounted tire carrier to hold it all!

I have the OR FAB tire carrier which has been an awesome addition. Sturdy and strong. Unfortunately, OR FAB went out of business recently. Still a great product.

Old tire, now have a 35" on the carrier:
Just a 249?

Im a 240 man me self... or MK19... or Ma Deuce...... lost goes on...

Me and miss piggy (240B) has some mikes under our belt. She was a real show stopper when she got fired up in the heat of the monent.

All that an $2.34 will get ya a cup of coffee.

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I've done the larger alternator, battery, winch, cage, CB, fire extinguisher, air compressor with tank, extra charging points. That's a nice looking willys, I have more mods, let me know if I can help, Ron

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Nothing extreme, it works for me & the wife, I have a single battery under the hood of my 2000 GMC z71, but I went with a large high capacity AGM cranking battery that has fast recovery charge, high output alternator, winch is a 12,000lb mounted on a Warn Trans4mer brush guard w\winch mount, I removed the wire rope for 7\16" x 75ft. Master Pull Classic Synthetic Winch Rope 21,500lbs. breaking strength. The back of the bed of the truck are 2 sets of XBull 10 ton Recovery Boards in carry on cases only when we are out on the trail\dispersed camping. I do have a on-board compressor system w\control panel in the cab, under the hood is the actual compressor & tank is attached on the chassis of the truck, but I have it plumbed only for my air bags only. I do store a portable air compressor system for air'n down & air'n up: VIAIR 400P that is located under the rear seat as well as my first aid bag, tool kit, & rigging bag (items include 4 - 3/4" Shackles, 1 - 2" x 20ft. 20,000lbs. breaking strength Recovery Strap, 1 - 17,000 lbs. Snatch Block, 3"x 6' 30,000 lbs. Tree Saver, 25 ft of 3/8″ Dyneema 18,500lbs. breaking strength extension rope, Trail Gloves his & hers, wireless winch remote, cord winch remote). Next to rigging bag under the towel is Spare \ Extra 7\16" x 50ft. Master Pull Classic Synthetic Winch Rope 21,500lbs. breaking strength.

My adventure trailer has 20 gals of stored water, 5lb propane bottle & mount, 42" Bulldog High Lift Jack w\ AUXMART High Lift Jack Mount, Smittybilt Jerry Can mount w\5gal Scepter Fuel Can. I carry a 2 1\2lb Trapper's Axe, Small Recovery T Handle Shovel, & 21" Bow Saw w\extra blades
005.JPG 004.JPG 45767214_1924210364294495_1882812537561415680_n.jpg 48417236_1974633329252198_6914679484343910400_n.jpg 002.JPG 003.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy P

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I sold my 4Runner and am starting over. Honestly the thing I miss most is my hard-mounted and plumbed air compressor. With my 4-into-one air lines, ut was so easy tl inglate and deflate tires thst it is honestly hard to find the motivation to do it the "normal" way.