Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Davidson
Service Branch
USMC
Hi Guest,

I'm pretty new myself but a running joke with some friends and a personal motto, said in a Scottish accent, is: "All you really need is a sturdy piece of rope."

For what has been "useful" so far; a road almanac for my state was extremely handy for my navigator to getting us very lost on some forest roads. A GPS capable watch that hooked into my phone (with pre-downloaded maps) got us mostly not-lost in however many seconds it took to acquire the satellite.

I've been scouring this forum and others to find what I "need" and what I've found is I mostly have it for my use case. Which leads into the real questions, What is your use case? Are you looking to do some self serving community service and open up a trail with some chainsaw and clearing work? Are you just looking to take a girl to a cool make out spot? Taking the fam out for a weekend trip? What's up? Pretty much any more clarifying information will let the old, salty, rock lizards lurking about give you an actionable idea of what's required for a planned trip. Otherwise it's a pretty generic question which will yield very generic answers. Searching the forums here for the ideas you've got will give you some inspiration but the one thing, hands down, "I am not dead because I did this before my trip," thing, was having: a plan, an itinerary, and someone back home looking out for me in case I found myself up sh!t creek and hadn't checked in inside X hours. There are a few other tricks like "test your new rig on an active logging road because if you get stuck your problem is now also their problem" but I feel that's a little out of scope.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Love those old GMT 400 full size Blazers from the 90's. Great relatively short wheelbase all-around covered wagons. Go anywhere, do anything. Had two of them myself

Reactions: MazeVX

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I'm no longer authorized to reply to these questions because I have everything known to man on my truck. The curb weight is more than the curb itself. It's all trial and error in my opinion. First make sure everything that is important on your truck is in good working condition. Then take the rest of the things you would need to replace what you think will break on the road. Then take everything else. LOL
I think the head guy here has a list. He's Michael and he's a professional and he owns the place too. LOL
Zim

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

A machete, snatch strap, tow strap, soft shackles and hard ones.
Truly a game changer was the compressor fridge and a compressor for airing up tires.
Spare valve cores and the tool are handy as well.
A good mattress and sleeping bag helps a lot.

Adrian_95T

Rank 0

Contributor I

Bakersfield, Kern County, California, United States
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Sandoval
Hi Guest,

I'm pretty new myself but a running joke with some friends and a personal motto, said in a Scottish accent, is: "All you really need is a sturdy piece of rope."

For what has been "useful" so far; a road almanac for my state was extremely handy for my navigator to getting us very lost on some forest roads. A GPS capable watch that hooked into my phone (with pre-downloaded maps) got us mostly not-lost in however many seconds it took to acquire the satellite.

I've been scouring this forum and others to find what I "need" and what I've found is I mostly have it for my use case. Which leads into the real questions, What is your use case? Are you looking to do some self serving community service and open up a trail with some chainsaw and clearing work? Are you just looking to take a girl to a cool make out spot? Taking the fam out for a weekend trip? What's up? Pretty much any more clarifying information will let the old, salty, rock lizards lurking about give you an actionable idea of what's required for a planned trip. Otherwise it's a pretty generic question which will yield very generic answers. Searching the forums here for the ideas you've got will give you some inspiration but the one thing, hands down, "I am not dead because I did this before my trip," thing, was having: a plan, an itinerary, and someone back home looking out for me in case I found myself up sh!t creek and hadn't checked in inside X hours. There are a few other tricks like "test your new rig on an active logging road because if you get stuck your problem is now also their problem" but I feel that's a little out of scope.
Well I have a lot of camping supplies collected over the years for when I take the kids and wife out but there not to into it as I am and well this rig will be for me more of a weekend warrior gig

Adrian_95T

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Sandoval
Love those old GMT 400 full size Blazers from the 90's. Great relatively short wheelbase all-around covered wagons. Go anywhere, do anything. Had two of them myself
Thank you I’ve had 4 over the years and I have two now this one and another one 2wd that I’m customizing as a show truck these truck I’ve always loved them

Adrian_95T

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Sandoval
A machete, snatch strap, tow strap, soft shackles and hard ones.
Truly a game changer was the compressor fridge and a compressor for airing up tires.
Spare valve cores and the tool are handy as well.
A good mattress and sleeping bag helps a lot.
I have most of that , been looking at the fridges. Stuck between dometic/ iceco
Got me an viair compressor does a great job , I’ll look into the valve cores I didn’t think of that I recently just got a new air mattress and sleeping bag my first ones were hand me downs and well they weren’t in the best shape thanks for all the info I appreciate it

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

To reduce weight, you may want to create a tool kit specifically for your truck. A breaker bar and ratchet but only the sockets that fit bolts of your truck. No need for anything that doesnt fit. Only the sockets for lug nuts, battery change, oil drain, spark plug size, shock tower, diff drain plugs, that type of thing, etc, and maybe an adjustable Channel Lock. Whatever is needed to fix those things that you can count on breaking or needing repair.

NOCO lithium quick jump big enough to start your truck on your own if nobody else is around. Big think mine is model 40. It will start up to a 6 liter engine. Mines a 5.3. I think yours is the venerable old 5.7 mated to a 4L60E transmission.

Camp axe. Mine is an old Estwing with leather wrapped handle. Something to start fire with.

Some sort of recovery or tow gear. Spare belts, fluids.

Of course always 3 days of water and food, whatever that is for you. (Dont forget the dog!) I bring some extra Mountain House stuff I can make quick with heated water. I bring a Coleman classic 2 burner but also a little Primus butane single burner for quick hot water.

GPS. And...Maps. I have a AAA Rand McNally North American Atlas but I also have some of those DeLorme Gazetteer macbooks, they come one per state. Good for camp sites, hunting, fishing, boat ramps, etc. All in case your GPS fails or you are far out with no signal. When hiking the Berkshires or the Whites, I have the AMC trail maps and a compass.

Sleeping bag, maybe tent. I would sleep in the back of the big ole Blazer, myself.

Communications. I have an old CB and a couple of handheld FRS/GMRS handheld radios. Obviously the CB is dropping in popularity but mine has weather. I can keep it on weather while keeping the FRS radios active and handy.

Rope. And dont forget to bring a towel. SO many uses. Dry off with it. Use it as a small blanket, fold it up for a seat cushion, soak it in vitamins and chew on it all day...whatever.

That's not everything but it's a good start