Glendale DMV, Glendale, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Jordan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QYP
I've noticed when I'm out and about in the urban jungle, people go out of their way to pay compliments to my truck. I started wondering if this is a common occurence? I feel like these vehicles excite the younger version of ourself, and at the same time invokes a sense of freedom and the ability to explore.
Whats your experience been?EE155B0A-956A-44DA-9C19-8F3A0840CF92.jpg

Reactions: Tom110 and Road

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I agree. I also get other truck enthusiasts who look at me unsure on how to react (probably because my front windows are tinted and I can see them, but they cannot see me that clearly lol). If I see another rig that is geared up for the outdoors I normally stop, admire their rig, then talk about something that stands out, e.g. nice tires or I like your grill, etc. Most people that talk to me are the people at the shops, oil change, dealer, auto zone.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
In 4 years I've never had somebody comment on my 99 Cruiser.
In 10 years I've had dozens of people ask about the pipe (snorkel) on my 86 Comanche.
In 17 years I've received a handful of comments on my 03 Rubicon and a few invitations to various Jeep Clubs...of which I politely turn down.

Every. Single. Time. I go to the gas station in the 66 K20 somebody wants to chat about the truck or their old truck.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
guess it depends on where you are. here in the swamps of louisiana, a nice rig doesn't get interest, BUT if you have a nice boat, people will definitely be interested. a nice 21' center console with a 300 Yamaha and a jack plate will make most salivate....a lift and snorkle on a rig...meh

SilverRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Jordan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QYP
guess it depends on where you are. here in the swamps of louisiana, a nice rig doesn't get interest, BUT if you have a nice boat, people will definitely be interested. a nice 21' center console with a 300 Yamaha and a jack plate will make most salivate....a lift and snorkle on a rig...meh
I was wondering if location played into it. I live in Los Angeles and this is where I hear the most comments about my truck. Head twenty miles east and no one seems to be interested.

Reactions: grubworm

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Even with the low-key, no overland bling look I try to keep, I do get comments as I wander the continent.

I've had a guy or two wait until I come out of a store to ask about the trailer. Sometimes a guy who has a ton of questions and wants to tell me about the one he's gonna build someday. Had a guy follow me in Del Rio and motion to me at a stop light, pointing and gesturing. I never did figure out what we was getting at before the light turned green, though pulled over afterward to check everything.

I've been asked if I'm on my way to Overland Expo, and I get thumbs up from a variety of drivers when on the highway. I sometimes get comments at fuel stops, of the "Wow, you're ready for the zombie apocalypse!" or "Looks like you're on a fun trip!"

With the magnet decal I keep on the doors, I'm often asked if I am federal, state or city or if I am University Research. If I'm in a national or state park, many assume I work for the park.

When I'm all set up in an area around other campers, the stream of inquisitive people is often steady. If I'm feeling social I might put out a sign that says "Questions? You can come in." Other times I'll put out a sign that says "Road Research. You ARE being recorded. Permit Holder Only!"

In general, though, I'm told my rig and I put off a vibe that "Looks professional, like you probably have guns."

All fine with me if it helps keep people from messing with my stuff.

fuelingup_roaddude_2211-900.jpg

nhwoods-190812-7751-1000panocrop.jpg

RoadResearch-GPH4-1000.jpg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Even with the low-key, no overland bling look I try to keep, I do get comments as I wander the continent.

I've had a guy or two wait until I come out of a store to ask about the trailer. Sometimes a guy who has a ton of questions and wants to tell me about the one he's gonna build someday. Had a guy follow me in Del Rio and motion to me at a stop light, pointing and gesturing. I never did figure out what we was getting at before the light turned green, though pulled over afterward to check everything.

I've been asked if I'm on my way to Overland Expo, and I get thumbs up from a variety of drivers when on the highway. I sometimes get comments at fuel stops, of the "Wow, you're ready for the zombie apocalypse!" or "Looks like you're on a fun trip!"

With the magnet decal I keep on the doors, I'm often asked if I am federal, state or city or if I am University Research. If I'm in a national or state park, many assume I work for the park.

When I'm all set up in an area around other campers, the stream of inquisitive people is often steady. If I'm feeling social I might put out a sign that says "Questions? You can come in." Other times I'll put out a sign that says "Road Research. You ARE being recorded. Permit Holder Only!"

In general, though, I'm told my rig and I put off a vibe that "Looks professional, like you probably have guns."

All fine with me if it helps keep people from messing with my stuff.

View attachment 134030

View attachment 134031

View attachment 134036

Yeah, pulling that with a white van instead of a modded out jeep definitely makes you look like you're a surveyor or government researcher. If you had an old transit strapped to the top of your van, I would def peg you as a surveyor and not bother you because I'd figure your "on the clock" or a government official, which I just naturally stay away from....:grinning:

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Yeah, pulling that with a white van instead of a modded out jeep definitely makes you look like you're a surveyor or government researcher. If you had an old transit strapped to the top of your van, I would def peg you as a surveyor and not bother you because I'd figure your "on the clock" or a government official, which I just naturally stay away from....:grinning:

Exactly. Even after hours in the middle of the night in the city the cops don't bother me. Been like that for years driving white cargo vans, even without the trailer or door decal. They figure I'm out delivering papers, working for an electric or gas or cable company or whatever. I've urban stealth camped in the most unusual of places and not been bothered a bit, where a blinged out jeep or conversion van or RV would definitely draw interest.

Reactions: Anak and grubworm

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo

Exactly. Even after hours in the middle of the night in the city the cops don't bother me. Been like that for years driving white cargo vans, even without the trailer or door decal. They figure I'm out delivering papers, working for an electric or gas or cable company or whatever. I've urban stealth camped in the most unusual of places and not been bothered a bit, where a blinged out jeep or conversion van or RV would definitely draw interest.

That is a success story if there ever was one.

98_GVitara_Adventures

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vizela, Portugal
First Name
Miguel
Last Name
Caldas
Member #

Here, Portugal, isn't usual to see on the roads big trucks with too much rig

For exemple in my group of offroaders there are 5 usual trucks, my Suzuki Grand Vitara (it's considered a mid truck), Fiat Panda 4x4 (very small 4x4 car), Land Rover, and a Ford Range Raptor.

The Ford Range Raptor stealls all the attention. That's beacuase in here it is a Big Truck. Also as a 5 door Wrangler.

So for me if I went to USA i would stand by your trucks just admiring it and wishing that I could have one of those here.

Sometimes appears a Hummer H1 and that's probibly the biggest truck that cross our roads.

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
I must have missed it...what does it say?

Rollin Dirty Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mesa, AZ
First Name
Jim
Last Name
G
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7RDO
Here in Phoenix, there are trillions of 5th Gen 4Runners. They're like one of those biblical pestilences you read about all the time. I occasionally get a comment at a gas station of parking lot. Mostly, I see people just stare. What I get a *lot* of, is encountering other 5th Gens on the freeways, coming up fast behind me, then holding at the rear of the truck, matching speed, then sloooowly, moving past, with a phone held up for a photo. I've been tagged as "spotted" in the local Facebook groups a few times.

I like flexing on the casuals. BWAHAHAHHAHAHHA (I'm kidding)

1578425132977.png

1578425167890.png

SilverRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Jordan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QYP
Here in Phoenix, there are trillions of 5th Gen 4Runners. They're like one of those biblical pestilences you read about all the time. I occasionally get a comment at a gas station of parking lot. Mostly, I see people just stare. What I get a *lot* of, is encountering other 5th Gens on the freeways, coming up fast behind me, then holding at the rear of the truck, matching speed, then sloooowly, moving past, with a phone held up for a photo. I've been tagged as "spotted" in the local Facebook groups a few times.

I like flexing on the casuals. BWAHAHAHHAHAHHA (I'm kidding)

View attachment 134118

View attachment 134119
I can see why they come up from behind and hold, thats a great rear bumper! Which one is it?