Rhinoline, Monstaline Ect. Pros and Cons? Post your pictures.

• HTML tutorial

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
So the paint on my Jeep WK has seen better days. Between the brush scuffs and the canoe loading/unloading mishaps, I could almost consider myself a self employed touch up paint applicator. Last winter while at the car wash I pressure washed a patch of paint off where corrosion had set in near under the mud flap. It was sanded and primed but I never got around to completing the repair... all this is to say, It needs some attention. Ive never cared for the maroon color anyways and was considering Monstaliner to cover the entire vehicle. Does anyone have experience with it? How about rhinolining? Pictures of your monsta/rhinolined vehicles would be much appreciated. Considering a desert tan color as a throwback to my military days.

Thanks all
Jordan

Yroundrdn

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Ben
I was able to do "Rustoleum" enamel paint job in the driveway in 2 weekends on my last rig and it turned out great, well great from far, but much better. I used 80 grit to sand out the old because the paint was so bad and surprisingly, it still looked okay. I bought a gallon of enamel Rustoleum, a $36 air sprayer at Harbor Freight, a ton of tape and some thinner. For around $150 it was shinny again.

gptigers

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Maryville, TN, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
WPs
Member #

I sprayed my 2014 Jeep JKU with UPOL Raptor Liner...included a color change (black to blue). Relatively easily...just tedious. The hardest parts were disassembling all the accessories...and taping off the interior. Here are some pics. Used 3ml of tint for each bottle of Raptor Liner. Shot it at 80psi at about 18-24". Left a fine texture that wasn't blotchy or super coarse. Definitely need to lay down a 2-3 coats. I bought a 2 gallon kit (8 bottles) off Amazon...came with a spray gun and regulator. Has held up so far...we'll see how it goes when I start driving through brush.
IMG_2346.jpegIMG_2329.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: EXPO_D1 and Graeman

JSearles562

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Potsdam, NY, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Searles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2SOC
I sprayed my 2014 Jeep JKU with UPOL Raptor Liner...included a color change (black to blue). Relatively easily...just tedious. The hardest parts were disassembling all the accessories...and taping off the interior. Here are some pics. Used 3ml of tint for each bottle of Raptor Liner. Shot it at 80psi at about 18-24". Left a fine texture that wasn't blotchy or super coarse. Definitely need to lay down a 2-3 coats. I bought a 2 gallon kit (8 bottles) off Amazon...came with a spray gun and regulator. Has held up so far...we'll see how it goes when I start driving through brush.
View attachment 171394View attachment 171393
That looks great! I'm planning to do mine in the near future. My jeep is a 2007 and the paint is showing a lot of "character" I think a liner job is just the ticket. I really like your rig.

Reactions: Graeman

gptigers

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Maryville, TN, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
WPs
Member #

That looks great! I'm planning to do mine in the near future. My jeep is a 2007 and the paint is showing a lot of "character" I think a liner job is just the ticket. I really like your rig.
Thanks man...as with most things it's always a work in progress. Good luck on the paint job! Just take your time. Took me about 3 days...one for disassembly, one for sanding/taping, and one to spray. Let it cure for 24 hours before re-assembly.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Ive done both Raptor and Monstaliner. I'll update with pictures later. In the pictures I have now, its hard to see the texture.

I've used it on 5 occasions now and screwed up on two of them.
My M-100 was with Raptor. This was sprayed on. Nice texture and you can color it what you want. Where I screwed up was I didn't read the instructions and just scuffed the surface with a 400 grit. You need 220 min sand paper or it will chip down to primer.
My Cruiser I used monstaliner and colored from the body line down with dark blue (you can see it on my sig picture). This time I used 120 grit and rolled it on with a smooth roller for minimum texture. Where I screwed up here was misreading the instructions and I waited too long on the second coat. After a year the second coat started peeling. The first coat is strong and will have to be ground down so I can redo it.
The next two were rock sliders and a friends bumper in monstliner. Both have held up great now that I actually pay attention.
Last my new trailer project. The sides and trim in Monstaliner (Pic near the end of my build page. link in sig).

I like both and have sprayed and rolled. The foam rollers give a heavy texture and the regular fine rollers give something like a lite stucco, somewhat smooth.
The issue with the smoother regular rollers is they tend to disintegrate and leave small pieces in the paint. I will never run the traditional bedliner because most have bits of rubber designed for traction. I want a smoother "stucco" like finish.
You really want to use an epoxy primer and you can get a product that makes both stick to smooth plastic.
Remember, if done correctly, this needs to be completely ground off if you don't like it. It can also decrease the sale price of a vehicle. It is on the other hand almost indestructible. I do get very lite bush marks but that's it. Obviously hard rock hits will chip it but that's all. On my cruiser when I wax the regular paint, any wax that gets on the liner area is very difficult to remove.

Reactions: gptigers