Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
I have been working on perfecting my mobile comms/office for the last couple weeks. My goal is to have something as close to all band, all mode, anytime, anywhere RF solution for communications. To get there I have to add a HF solution, fully expand on the operational capability of my existing dual band radio, and Add in an additional TNC for the HF radio. What I have managed to do as of yet rewire the power system to accommodate the additional power draw from the second radio, replace a lost VHF/UHF antenna, installed the control head for the FT-857D radio, and fully expanded the TM-D710A to be fully fuctional with the addition of a GPS and have my laptop setup to work with the TNC. Leading to the installation of a Rigrunner 4005 that is setup on a relay to ensure the radios don't draw down the battery to much. But given the potential power draw (33-34 amps if everything is running and both radios are transmitting at the same time) I will eventually have to add a second battery. So far I like how this has turned out and I am about halfway complete only needing to finish the HF portion of the install by getting the radio body for the 857D mounted with the accompanying TNC and install an ATAS 120 antenna.

20200319_114010.jpg20200319_114036.jpg

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
For everything you listed I was expecting to see a busier cockpit. Nice work!
Ram Mount in a Ram for the win! Been sticking things to other things with Ram for generations of vehicles.

My dad would tell you that you need gas ;)

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
For everything you listed I was expecting to see a busier cockpit. Nice work!
Ram Mount in a Ram for the win! Been sticking things to other things with Ram for generations of vehicles.

My dad would tell you that you need gas ;)
I always said that I'd never buy a Ram truck but when I test drove the 4th gen I changed my mind. Mercedes has done great things with the brand. And as for the Ram mounts 2 of the 3 are Ram brand. The mount for the radios is actually a Lido mount. But yes I like Ram Mounts too, they make solid stuff.

And yes I need gas.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Clean install.
How often do you expect that both radios will be transmitting at the same time and for what period of time?
Many digital HF modes typically operate at 50 watts or so, not all though so even if you are doing HF digital and VHF voice at the same time unless you are using 100 watts you shouldn't be drawing the full 34 amps unless your calculations already take that into consideration of course... or you just want to run 100 watts. :wink:

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Clean install.
How often do you expect that both radios will be transmitting at the same time and for what period of time?
Many digital HF modes typically operate at 50 watts or so, not all though so even if you are doing HF digital and VHF voice at the same time unless you are using 100 watts you shouldn't be drawing the full 34 amps unless your calculations already take that into consideration of course... or you just want to run 100 watts. :wink:
I don't expect such a draw to be a common occurrence. The only time I foresee such an event happening is if the D710 is beaconing APRS data and I am working HF at the same time. As such the draw would be brief. Regardless I want to ensure that such draws are accounted for.

Reactions: MojaveGreen

MojaveGreen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6SGE
I don't expect such a draw to be a common occurrence. The only time I foresee such an event happening is if the D710 is beaconing APRS data and I am working HF at the same time. As such the draw would be brief. Regardless I want to ensure that such draws are accounted for.
Smart move and a clean setup.