Review: ARB SkyDome Swag

• HTML tutorial

stuart.404

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Naperville, Illinois
Member #

I wanted to share a review of a swag tent I bought recently. I spent 3 nights camping with the tent last weekend, one of the nights being close to a full-on sandstorm.

Let's cut to the chase though. This thing is expensive. ARB gear is expensive before it leaves Australia and the price is only going up when it's shipped half way across the world. I ended up paying around $350 USD from my local ARB distributor.

That's about the only negative thing I have to say though. I love this tent. It's made of tough waterproof canvas with a rubberised floor and there is a comfortable foam mattress inside. The same kind you'll find in an ARB RTT. Just looking at it and touching it inspires confidence.

The downside of this sturdy construction is that it's a pretty bulky tent when it's rolled up. You really wouldn't want this thing on your roof when driving. The upside is that you can pack it away with the bedding still inside, also like a RTT.

It takes a couple of minutes to set up and to take down. Three curved tent poles, two straight ones and it's done. The guide ropes are stitched with reflective material so you don't trip over them in the night.

The SkyDome name comes from the big zipped opening in the side and top of the tent. This is the main way in and out, and the canvas can be left open with a fly net across, in theory giving you a view of the stars from bed. There are similar smaller vents at the head and feet ends of the tent to create a nice flow of air.

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Reactions: Steve and ASNOBODY

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Great looking tent! I'm in the market for a new small tent. This looks interesting. Do you happen to have a pic of it rolled up with some objects next to it for scale or can you provide measurements? Thanks!

stuart.404

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Naperville, Illinois
Member #

Great looking tent! I'm in the market for a new small tent. This looks interesting. Do you happen to have a pic of it rolled up with some objects next to it for scale or can you provide measurements? Thanks!
I don't have a pic to hand but rolled up its around 110cm long and 40cm diameter. This was with a duvet and sheet inside so taking that stuff out and being a bit more careful with rolling i think you could get it down to maybe 30cm diameter

aaen

Rank 0

Traveler I

Very interesting. I am recently in the market for a tent. After a bad experience with my JB Explorer, I am not sure if I want to fork out that amount of money on another RTT only to have it fail.

I've been looking at the ARB swags or the Oztent Jet for sometime now to get me through the summer season with camping until I figure out what i want to do.

Couple of questions:
-How is the egg cell mattress that comes with it
-What size did you get?
-why buy this over a normal tent? Is the setup that much fast then pulling your gear out of a bin and placing it in after you set it up?

If doing multiple day/week trip would you recommend one of these?

Thanks

Steve

Reactions: stuart.404

stuart.404

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Naperville, Illinois
Member #

-How is the egg cell mattress that comes with it
The longest I've used the tent was 3 nights in a row with no complaints. Apparently its the same quality mattress that they put in their RTTs.

-What size did you get?
I have the one-person swag. I think they make a two-person version too

-why buy this over a normal tent? Is the setup that much fast then pulling your gear out of a bin and placing it in after you set it up?
I bought this tent while living in the middle east and camping in the desert a lot. The low profile makes it a lot more stable in the wind that a regular tent. Its also made from thick waterproof canvas. A full size tent in this material would weigh a ton and take an hour to assemble. Apart from that, like everything else overlanding, its personal preference. It's distinctive and different in a world of brightly coloured RTTs.

Now I know what to do I can assemble/dissemble it in a couple of minutes.

If doing multiple day/week trip would you recommend one of these?
You need to see one up close. Maybe look for video reviews on Youtube. At the end of the day you sacrifice the space of a full tent, but for me its perfect for solo-camping.