Retro overland build: Old Blue, 1964 CJ5 Jeep

• HTML tutorial

chexmix

Rank III

Advocate II

Bay Area
I've posted about my bronco, but I thought I'd share another rig I'm building. This one is a smaller early 1964 Kaiser Willys CJ5, and I'm doing some upgrades. The goal is an upgraded "modern" drive terrain that can cruise with a mild build that's not far from stock looking.

1964 Kaiser Willys, tub off frame, restro-mod rebuild:
- Freshly machined, mild cam 1990 TBI fuel injected 4.3L Chevy V6 (like the Chevy 350, but minus the 7 and 8 cylinders)
- T98 4 speed manual with granny first
- Dual stick Dana 18 transfer case
- Front axle: upgraded Dana 30 with disc brakes and manual Warn locking hubs
- Rear axle: rebuilt Dana 44 with limited slip diff
- both axles upgraded to 3.73 ring and pinion gears for improved road performance
- Retro stock steering wheel and column attached to GM power steering gear box
- 6 point roll cage, with bikini top and roof rack cargo storage
- swinging rear tire and fuel rack
- 31x10.50R15 All terrain tires on wagon wheel steelies
- 2.5" Rancho lift with new extended shocks
- dual under seat gas tanks with electric selector, external easily serviceable pump, and all new plumbing
- Reinforced or boxed frame at known weak spots
- brand new low back front seats and rear bench seat
- brakes upgraded with all new components including late model dual res master cylinder, all new steel brake lines, calipers, shoes, etc
- assembling new wiring harness and schematic by hand
- upgraded to v8 radiator and eletric fan for easy cooling
- fresh paint and bed liner inside

This may be a slow build, but I'd like to have it drivable by August.

When I first got the jeep, it didn't have a front axle, original F head engine gone, and mostly gutted.

Since then, I've successfully got everything disassembled down to the bare frame, assembled the engine and test fired it, rebuilt / painted both axles with new gears and brakes, began work reinforced the frame, then test fitted the engine with new weld on engine mounts.

My goal currently is test fitting the engine to ensure proper clearance for the power steering, exhaust, cooling and drive shafts. Here are some pics from the progress (reverse order)!

Roughly where it's at now:

Placing the body back on the frame:

Assembling the new engine parts before break in:

Example ring and pinion pattern:

Pre-paint finish work on Dana 30 ball joints:

Rebuilt and ready to install Dana 44:

I'll try to keep this updated with progress, please don't hesitate if you have questions. I know the retro build isn't norm on here, but some people from the last meetup wanted to know more about what I'm building. [emoji6]