Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Note that I said, when you have a jump box. If they used the same reasoning, they'd have a jump box lol. Personally, I do carry jumper cables when solo, but I don't have a jump box yet.
I get it. I guess my reasoning is this,
Why would I need cables or a jump pack?
Well my battery failed.
What is the primary component in a jump pack?
It's a battery, that can also fail.

Not saying it's not a great idea to have one. Because it is. They are super handy if maintained , and your rig will turn over with one.

They are good for some, but not for all.

If one decides to carry one, I would challenge them to disconnect their main starting battery, clip on the pack and verify it will actually start the vehicle.
Do not just pull it out of the box, charge it, and Chuck it in the rig for when its needed. I may not work.

I think Mike Tyson said "Everyone has a plan A, until they get punched in the face"

Have a plan B!
I concede.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Doesn't have to be either/or.

If you're wheeling alone, there's little point in carrying jumpers when you have a jump box. If you're with a group, however, one person can carry cables, someone else can have a jump box, etc. Spread the gear between the group and everyone benefits without excessive redundancy.
I'm oldddddd school guys, I carry a crank
:<{)

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I do have solar panels and a Goal Zero Battery backup. I often do not have anyone with another battery around.
I have those too. I should probably just leave the jumpers home. Also have small inverter generator with hookup for battery clips so I should be fine. I like redundant systems on the critical components but weight and room are always premium.

Reactions: Brewbud

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Actual footage of Lanlubber overlanding:
You don't know how close you are to being right. My problem is I cant find a place on my land rover to use my crank. I tried the hole in that square hole thing on the back of my bumper but it's hollow. I guess I will have to drill a hole in my front bumper, the factory didnt put one there either.

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
I have had a Noco GB70 jump starter for a couple of years now. I received another GB70 for my birthday a couple of weeks ago so now I have one for my Jeep and my truck. However, last weekend was the first time I went on a trip without jumper cables in my Jeep. After having carried jumper cables for my entire life it felt odd to me but I really liked the extra space in my tool kit. 20 ft. 0 gauge jumper cables take up a lot of room. I have decided to go full bat crazy and take the cables out of my truck too. The GB70 has more than enough power to start the Cummins several times. Wow, life on the edge! :tonguewink: Anybody else completely replaced cables with a portable jump starter?
I have the following on my rig

Energizer 1 Gauge 800A Permanent Installation kit Jumper Battery Cables with Quick Connect Plug 30 Ft Booster Jump Start - 30 Ft Allows You to Boost a Battery from Behind a Vehicle

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I get it. I guess my reasoning is this,
Why would I need cables or a jump pack?
Well my battery failed.
What is the primary component in a jump pack?
It's a battery, that can also fail.

Not saying it's not a great idea to have one. Because it is. They are super handy if maintained , and your rig will turn over with one.

They are good for some, but not for all.

If one decides to carry one, I would challenge them to disconnect their main starting battery, clip on the pack and verify it will actually start the vehicle.
Do not just pull it out of the box, charge it, and Chuck it in the rig for when its needed. I may not work.

I think Mike Tyson said "Everyone has a plan A, until they get punched in the face"

Have a plan B!
I concede.
I would never suggest testing it by disconnecting the starter battery. Besides need an exciter current to perform, your alternator produces spike and transients which a normal battery acts like a sink to dampen. I do not know how well the jump start battery will handle them. A lithium jump starter batteries is made to replace a set of jumper cables not your battery. I keep my batteries in good shape. If I have a problem with one on the trail it will most likely be because something was left on and it ran the battery down. I have several back up options. One of them just isn't jumper cables anymore.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I don't carry many tools but booster cables are always with me. Mine are home bolt, light and only 8' long. I need them once every 15 years. Sort of like my spare tire. In 45 years I've had 4 flats. But I'll always have a spare too.