Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Done up 05 4Runner 12000cdn

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

Emslie

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Canada
So I am in a situation im stuck on. I have two vehicles I can purchase and curious what some of you would do. There is a 08 Nissan Xterra with 190K on the odo for 7500cdn. Conversely there is a 04 4runner v8 limited 215k on the odo which has already been done up, ie led lights, armour, swingout tailgate, cb radio..you name it for 13000cdn.

The 4runner in question is ready to rock. But with the money saved on the xterra, I believe I can get to the same level with other equipment. I also realise the the 4runner has a mid locker and no rear, where the xterra comes with a rear e locker.

My question to you is, what would you do in the position. I know there will be biased answers but please provide some details on what you think.

Thank you in advance and appreciate the feedback.
-Mike

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
My opinion is the Toyota as long as the suspension isn’t serverly modified. What I mean there is aftermarket control arms mostly. Both are at the mileage where your going to need to replace some items just to make sure it’s reliable. One of the first things that needs to be checked are the ball joints.

In my experiance, the Toyota has better aftermarket support and better initial build quality. I have only owned one Nissan but have owned a number of Toyota’s. When I go looking for a new vehicle, I look for how much support there is and ho reliable.

Scott

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I am Jeep and Chevy guy, so no bias on either of the two vehicles.

I would go for the bare Xterra and build it up myself. That way I would not be surprised by any compromises made be the previous builder. Additionally, odds are good I would be making some different choices than were made by the builder of the 4Runner.

If you build it you know what you have. Buy someone else's build and you have a bunch to learn. My experience says some of those lessons won't be pleasant.

Luke VC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jefferson, NY
First Name
Luke
Last Name
VanCleef
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2LVC
So I am in a situation im stuck on. I have two vehicles I can purchase and curious what some of you would do. There is a 08 Nissan Xterra with 190K on the odo for 7500cdn. Conversely there is a 04 4runner v8 limited 215k on the odo which has already been done up, ie led lights, armour, swingout tailgate, cb radio..you name it for 13000cdn.

The 4runner in question is ready to rock. But with the money saved on the xterra, I believe I can get to the same level with other equipment. I also realise the the 4runner has a mid locker and no rear, where the xterra comes with a rear e locker.

My question to you is, what would you do in the position. I know there will be biased answers but please provide some details on what you think.

Thank you in advance and appreciate the feedback.
-Mike
If it was a choice of same vehicle stock vs modified by someone else ... I would choose stock however in this case ...having owned both I would choose the runner . IMO a better platform and more comfort . I found the exterra extremely narrow in interior space ... its all a matter of opinion but I would choose the Toyota

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Previous to owning the Tundra I had a fairly well built up Xterra. If I ever decided to get a mid-size suv again it would be an Xterra, no question about it. Aftermarket support is out there, maybe not to the level of the fanboy 4Runner, but you can find pretty much anything you want for one. I found my 07 Xterra Off-Road to be pretty much bullet proof. We put thousands of miles on it, off-roaded it across BC and the Western states, and used it to tow our travel trailer to Oregon on multiple occasions. Any mechanical issues I had were either of my own doing, or just stuff wearing out. That's just me talking. I know I'll lose some Toyota fanboy points, but that's ok.
The Xterra is also easier to find in a parking lot full of 4Runners...........in a world of sheep...well, you know.....

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

As above said 4Runners are aplenty , but on the flip side it's easier to get parts and you can get them anywhere.. I am a die in wool Jeep guy, but have friends with both and break downs happen, a it sure seems easier to get what you need with the Toys than Nissan

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I am Jeep and Chevy guy, so no bias on either of the two vehicles.

I would go for the bare Xterra and build it up myself. That way I would not be surprised by any compromises made be the previous builder. Additionally, odds are good I would be making some different choices than were made by the builder of the 4Runner.

If you build it you know what you have. Buy someone else's build and you have a bunch to learn. My experience says some of those lessons won't be pleasant.
This, minus the Chevy part ;)