Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

My boss (CEO) has a ram megacab and he’s getting a kc roof rack with lights. He’s looking for a solid reputable shop near Ontario, ca to do the install, and asked me if I knew of a place. (He knows my rig is dialed lol). He wants a high quality job done, meaning no hack job creating roof leaks or amateur wiring, waterproof pass through for light wires etc. He wants a professional job by someone that has done these before and he’s willing to pay good money for quality work. Anyone have a recommendation? I know a lot of us on ob do our own installs but what is your go to shop for things you can’t/don’t want to do?
It would be a huge plus for my job if I can send him to a good shop for this and may mean a raise in my near future so my livelihood is in your hands lol I know you won’t let me down.
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So I’m not from the area, but I do know the Inland Empire has lots of great shops that have been featured in several different automotive and off-roading magazines over the years. I would give a shout out to the Editors of Peterson 4 Wheel Drive for their recommendations. I am sure that others will chime in soon as well. Last but not least, after your Boss gets his truck done, add the shop to the maps with a review so others can find it as well (would be great if you could add pictures of the work done)

Best of luck on that promotion

Reactions: Trigger T4R

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ah the ole what shop can I trust question, for me it is no one. I'm never able to find anyone to do the stuff I want done so I do it myself. If I don't know how I take a little time and learn.

In no way is mechanic work the same as rocket science, if you can twist a wrist, afford the right tools and are willing to learn its not too hard.

Pro tip, seal the holes with house roof/gutter silicone it will last 25 years, I've seen shops use rtv silicone for roof lights, racks and snorkels and every single one leaked within a year so don't use that. Amazing goop would work well too but will change to a yellow color over time. Make the holes 1 size smaller than the bolts that would run through so they tread themselves in for a tighter more leak proof fit and don't forget to use some type of backer plate on the inside so the bolts don't just rip out of the sheet metal.

The hardest part IMHO for that job is pulling the headliner without damaging it or getting it dirty.

I like knowing who I can blame if something goes wrong though, plus diy you know what need done if something comes loose or rattles.
I get it though with what those racks cost id expect them to install it cost included.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Ah the ole what shop can I trust question, for me it is no one. I'm never able to find anyone to do the stuff I want done so I do it myself. If I don't know how I take a little time and learn.

In no way is mechanic work the same as rocket science, if you can twist a wrist, afford the right tools and are willing to learn its not too hard.

Pro tip, seal the holes with house roof/gutter silicone it will last 25 years, I've seen shops use rtv silicone for roof lights, racks and snorkels and every single one leaked within a year so don't use that. Amazing goop would work well too but will change to a yellow color over time. Make the holes 1 size smaller than the bolts that would run through so they tread themselves in for a tighter more leak proof fit and don't forget to use some type of backer plate on the inside so the bolts don't just rip out of the sheet metal.

The hardest part IMHO for that job is pulling the headliner without damaging it or getting it dirty.

I like knowing who I can blame if something goes wrong though, plus diy you know what need done if something comes loose or rattles.
I get it though with what those racks cost id expect them to install it cost included.
Maybe you are looking for the wrong kind of technician to install the racks. I think the mobile home, travel trailer-cargo trailer shops do a good job of installation from what I've seen. It is scary the first time you drill a hole in your rig but like you said, do it yourself and you know what you have. The mobile home industry sell a great hole sealer but I cant remember the name of it. They have to poke a lot of holes in mobile homes all the time to install everything. The problem with everything these days is the ridiculous cost of labor. What I do is sneak a conversation with the guys working there and see if they wanna make a buck on the side, most do I have found.

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

I'm curious @Trigger T4R , did you ever find a shop for your boss?

I have lived in the area my entire life (47 yrs old, now) and don't know who I'd send him to.
I did. I sent him info to my guy at Citrus Ford, he does all their SEMA cars and has done work on my brothers Transit Van build (@vantera) as well as my dads H2. Funny enough though, boss ended up selling that RAM and bought a brand new 2021 Mega Cab and a custom overland trailer because he was “tired of the 2018” lol. Must be nice.

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

I hear ya! I’ve done most everything myself on my truck because nobody will do it as good as me lol. Learned a lot in the process and like you said, I know how to fix it if anything goes wrong down the road. My boss is definitely not that kind of guy, he has $ and wants it done now so he can show it off. Smh

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

Maybe you are looking for the wrong kind of technician to install the racks. I think the mobile home, travel trailer-cargo trailer shops do a good job of installation from what I've seen. It is scary the first time you drill a hole in your rig but like you said, do it yourself and you know what you have. The mobile home industry sell a great hole sealer but I cant remember the name of it. They have to poke a lot of holes in mobile homes all the time to install everything. The problem with everything these days is the ridiculous cost of labor. What I do is sneak a conversation with the guys working there and see if they wanna make a buck on the side, most do I have found.
Good call on the rv/trailer shops! I’ll keep that in mind. Definitely gotta work those side deals whenever you can. Thanks for the advice.

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I did. I sent him info to my guy at Citrus Ford, he does all their SEMA cars and has done work on my brothers Transit Van build (@vantera) as well as my dads H2.

Cool, I'm quite familiar with Citrus Ford. Over the years my family and I have purchased several cars there.

Funny enough though, boss ended up selling that RAM and bought a brand new 2021 Mega Cab and a custom overland trailer because he was “tired of the 2018” lol. Must be nice.

Haha, must be nice for sure. My Megacab is 15 years old now! And I have done all work of any significance myself.