US East Reoccurring Western Virginia Roanoke Meet-up *****Next Meet-up 7/14/19*****

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

TerryD

Rank VI

Advocate I

Covington, Virginia, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm gonna be there since i'm going to be missing next month's meet-up.

Do we need to look at doing this on a different day? I know folks do a lot of travel this time of year but it seems like attendance is dropping off.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Offroadtb

Rank III

Contributor I

I have a buddy with an xterra that is curious about off-roading, he’s stock, but wants to do something with his xterra... said he would go if we met up, just to get some ideas churnin... let me know either way brotha...

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI

Advocate I

Covington, Virginia, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KT4OZ
I have a buddy with an xterra that is curious about off-roading, he’s stock, but wants to do something with his xterra... said he would go if we met up, just to get some ideas churnin... let me know either way brotha...
I'm gonna be there. He's welcome to check out my rig!

AdamK1981

Rank I

Contributor I

Hey sorry I haven't been able to attend much, life got in the way. Looks like I'll be even busier (I'm in construction and we have to finish a school in time for the kids). I've been wanting to get out more even on my own. Anyone know a good place to search drive-up camping spots? Like AllTrails for hiking but for drive-up camping.

TerryD

Rank VI

Advocate I

Covington, Virginia, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KT4OZ
Hey sorry I haven't been able to attend much, life got in the way. Looks like I'll be even busier (I'm in construction and we have to finish a school in time for the kids). I've been wanting to get out more even on my own. Anyone know a good place to search drive-up camping spots? Like AllTrails for hiking but for drive-up camping.
I think Gaia and Backcountry Navigator both support that a little.

TerryD

Rank VI

Advocate I

Covington, Virginia, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KT4OZ
Correction from before. A friend has put up a GMRS repeater in Roanoke. It operates on Ch18 but your radio must be able to work repeaters in order to use it. It has an input offset of +5MHz and a Pl tone of 131.8.

Right now it's at his house and is kind of limited on range, but as long as you are respectful it's open for use.

He's working on upgrading the antenna eventually and finding a location to install it. This could be very handy for us in coordinating meet-ups and gatherings in the Roanoke Valley.

We will still continue to use Ch15 for simplex (radio to radio) communications on the trail to not tie up his system though when we don't need to.

I'm going to miss next month's meeting but I think we need to try to have a day for everyone to come out and get familiar with their radios and their use.

Reactions: witchdoctor_33