Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
6-24-2018 Meeting Review with a Video

Brooke, Scott, Mike & Jessica, Bill & Connie, Greg & Colleen who are new to the group and Overlanding, and David Dingal from Seirra Foothills Group met at the designated Rally Point.

After reviewing some trip wants from the last meet-up, it was agreed that Bill and Marc will work on next day run and a possible Overnight trip. Additionally, Brooke and Bill will discuss about a day Gemstone hunting trip.

David Dingle talked about folk from the Reno Group joining the Virginia Range Overnighter on July 14th and 15th. This sounds like a definite fun run with photo opportunities. This is a trip with limited vehicles allowed to participate. Check out Rally Point for more information
https://www.overlandbound.com/event/wild-mustangs-tour-virginia-range-nevada/

Hi-Lift Jack Training

Scott, Marc, and Dave reviewed the Hi-Lift jack and other necessary accessories that Overlanders should have available during trail runs--Tow strap, winch-blanket, tree saver, winch extension cable/s. It was also stressed that only one person should be in charge of the winching so no miscommunications happen which could lead to mishaps.

Marc and Scott did a brief demonstration of the Jack in action by lifting Scott’s Rig.

David showed a "come-along" and discussed the benefits of its use.

Trail Pre-Run

The following video shows the trail run through the Hunter lake area. Unfortunately, a wrong turn was made, and the group didn’t make it to Hunter Lake. However, we did have a good time traversing the trail we were on. Going around ledges, through tight brush-lined trails, and down two gullies with small creeks gave the group some fun and spotter training during this 2 hour Pre-Run. Scott even got to use his snatch strap while Greg stacked rocks in front of the rear right wheel to assist a two-wheel drive rig up the last gully. It was determined that his trail was better suited for 4 wheel drive rigs with lifts.

Thanks to everyone who showed up on this Hot day.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveD

Mike D.

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Reno, NV
Member #

Yesterdays meet & pre-run was great. Jessica, Lucy and I had a blast. Thank you all the help out of that creek crossing. We hope we didn't hold everyone up to much in our 2WD. On a plus note, Jessica immediately look at me as said we are definitely getting a 4x4! We can't wait for the next meet.received_10212714851968587.jpegreceived_10212714849008513.jpegreceived_10212714813127616.jpegreceived_10212714812047589.jpegreceived_10212714811007563.jpegreceived_10212714810007538.jpegreceived_10212714805927436.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Yesterdays meet & pre-run was great. Jessica, Lucy and I had a blast. Thank you all the help out of that creek crossing. We hope we didn't hold everyone up to much in our 2WD. On a plus note, Jessica immediately look at me as said we are definitely getting a 4x4! We can't wait for the next meet.View attachment 59887View attachment 59888View attachment 59889View attachment 59890View attachment 59891View attachment 59892View attachment 59893

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app
You didn't hold the group up at all. It's all part of overcoming obstacles on a trail run. [emoji41] but I do like your thinking on getting a 4x4. It allows you to really discover remote places. See ya soon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Hey now~! I'm "new" as in I just started last year but I've been running so many trails I gotta put on a new axle this weekend!!

Sorry I was late to the meeting, there was a medical emergency at my house (my partner has epilepsy and had a seizure while in the shower)... But I really wanted to be able to get to know everyone more yesterday. Also, I did have some things I wanted to bring up.

I have some ideas for trip recommendations...
#1 Barney Riley Trail - This trail kicked my ass last year, the guide book (Northern Nevada Trail Guide) has this trail listed as a lv.1 but during that brutal winter of 2016 there was a lot of changes. Fortunately, now I know the easier way in/out. I think this trail is ok for stock rigs, and is a good opportunity to gain some valuable experience without the risk of death. The trail is beautiful and ends along the Carson River at a hot spring - where I would recommend camping for the night. This is also a good "shake down" trail for those who want to make sure their rigs are ready for all the summer adventuring.

#2 Lovelock to Black Rock - This is a trip I think will be better suited for experienced (or confident) drivers. I have no idea what to expect out on the trail other than it's REMOTE. And if anything happens we need to be able to deal with whatever. On this route, I have discovered several points of interest. First there is a murder mystery on the way from the 70's. Then there is a ghost town, and lots of historic ghost mines. After that there is an opal site, for anyone who likes opals. There is a lake bed along the way where several meteorites have been found also. Then ya come over a pass and have a series of springs (I've never been to so I can't report on them, but I'd like to check them out) and a pilgrimage spot. Then finally there is a hot spring under a willow tree on nice flat ground just before the black rock. Out at the black rock there are HEAPS of rocks to be found, and plenty of fun to be had on the flat desert. At this point we've probably already spent 2 days and 1 night out exploring, so it would be up to the group rather they want to continue on or not, but there is a place called Steven's Camp out past the Black Rock, and this is a cabin built in the middle of nowhere that's kind of become a rally point for adventure seeking people.

#3 Lahontan - Lake Lahontan is an awesome spot for day trips and camping... there are trails all along the backside (south) and I've been out there 3 weeks in a row running around with my friends who just bought their first 4x4. I think this is a terrific spot for new people to go out and have some fun without having to worry about anything too crazy happening. There is lots of soft sand (but I was able to negotiate it w/o airing down) and after a rain some terrific mud puddles! Loads of wildlife to check out too!

#4 Nevada BDR - Not sure if anyone has looked at this, but there is an off road route that spans (North to South) across the entire state. This would be a fantastic group trip - and I think would be ideal for once things start to cool down in like October.

Other than that. I do have a map I've spent a lot of time putting together. You can view it here: https://goo.gl/ZRkXSY if you have any areas or categories you'd like to add let me know the GPS coordinates and what it is. And we'll have a kind of group directory of trails and such.

I go out just about every weekend and explore something in the area. But as this heat turns up I'm starting to seek refuge in the mountains and doing more stuff on the California side. So if your ever looking to do something and its "last minute" just shoot me a message or email and we'll see if we can go together. I go out alone A LOT, it's discouraged, and sometimes it's dangerous. Don't do what I do... and if you do, carry loads of water and have a radio. Never drive anything you aren't 100% comfortable with alone. And if at all possible, invite someone to come with you!

That being said, I'm on vacation from the 30th till the 8th. The first couple days I'll be replacing my axle but after that I was planning on heading out to do some exploring. Then my next section of time off is September 1st - 9th, and for that trip I'll probably be going up to the PNW to do something up there.

It was nice to (briefly) meet you all yesterday. It looks like you all had a great time out there~ sorry I didn't get to run it with you! Next time I will though. Also... one last thing. For all those looking to get their HAM license, the next testing date is July 21st @ Shepherd of Sierra Lutheran Church, 3680 US Highway 395 S, Carson City. If a church freaks you out or you don't think you'll be ready by then, the following test is August 18th @ Regional Emergency Operations Center, 5195 Spectrum Blvd, Reno. Both test the time is 9am. If you need help studying...I recommend this site: https://hamstudy.org/tech2018. I'd recommend taking the practice test, see how you do, and then look at the answers you got wrong. Keep taking it over and over until your familiar with the question pool. Alternatively you can print out the flash cards or buy a book...

Cheers everyone~

Last edited:

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Hey now~! I'm "new" as in I just started last year but I've been running so many trails I gotta put on a new axle this weekend!!

Sorry I was late to the meeting, there was a medical emergency at my house (my partner has epilepsy and had a seizure while in the shower)... But I really wanted to be able to get to know everyone more yesterday. Also, I did have some things I wanted to bring up.

I have some ideas for trip recommendations...
#1 Barney Riley Trail - This trail kicked my ass last year, the guide book (Northern Nevada Trail Guide) has this trail listed as a lv.1 but during that brutal winter of 2016 there was a lot of changes. Fortunately, now I know the easier way in/out. I think this trail is ok for stock rigs, and is a good opportunity to gain some valuable experience without the risk of death. The trail is beautiful and ends along the Carson River at a hot spring - where I would recommend camping for the night. This is also a good "shake down" trail for those who want to make sure their rigs are ready for all the summer adventuring.

#2 Lovelock to Black Rock - This is a trip I think will be better suited for experienced (or confident) drivers. I have no idea what to expect out on the trail other than it's REMOTE. And if anything happens we need to be able to deal with whatever. On this route, I have discovered several points of interest. First there is a murder mystery on the way from the 70's. Then there is a ghost town, and lots of historic ghost mines. After that there is an opal site, for anyone who likes opals. There is a lake bed along the way where several meteorites have been found also. Then ya come over a pass and have a series of springs (I've never been to so I can't report on them, but I'd like to check them out) and a pilgrimage spot. Then finally there is a hot spring under a willow tree on nice flat ground just before the black rock. Out at the black rock there are HEAPS of rocks to be found, and plenty of fun to be had on the flat desert. At this point we've probably already spent 2 days and 1 night out exploring, so it would be up to the group rather they want to continue on or not, but there is a place called Steven's Camp out past the Black Rock, and this is a cabin built in the middle of nowhere that's kind of become a rally point for adventure seeking people.

#3 Lahontan - Lake Lahontan is an awesome spot for day trips and camping... there are trails all along the backside (south) and I've been out there 3 weeks in a row running around with my friends who just bought their first 4x4. I think this is a terrific spot for new people to go out and have some fun without having to worry about anything too crazy happening. There is lots of soft sand (but I was able to negotiate it w/o airing down) and after a rain some terrific mud puddles! Loads of wildlife to check out too!

#4 Nevada BDR - Not sure if anyone has looked at this, but there is an off road route that spans (North to South) across the entire state. This would be a fantastic group trip - and I think would be ideal for once things start to cool down in like October.

Other than that. I do have a map I've spent a lot of time putting together. You can view it here: https://goo.gl/ZRkXSY if you have any areas or categories you'd like to add let me know the GPS coordinates and what it is. And we'll have a kind of group directory of trails and such.

I go out just about every weekend and explore something in the area. But as this heat turns up I'm starting to seek refuge in the mountains and doing more stuff on the California side. So if your ever looking to do something and its "last minute" just shoot me a message or email and we'll see if we can go together. I go out alone A LOT, it's discouraged, and sometimes it's dangerous. Don't do what I do... and if you do, carry loads of water and have a radio. Never drive anything you aren't 100% comfortable with alone. And if at all possible, invite someone to come with you!

That being said, I'm on vacation from the 30th till the 8th. The first couple days I'll be replacing my axle but after that I was planning on heading out to do some exploring. Then my next section of time off is September 1st - 9th, and for that trip I'll probably be going up to the PNW to do something up there.

It was nice to (briefly) meet you all yesterday. It looks like you all had a great time out there~ sorry I didn't get to run it with you! Next time I will though. Also... one last thing. For all those looking to get their HAM license, the next testing date is July 21st @ Shepherd of Sierra Lutheran Church, 3680 US Highway 395 S, Carson City. If a church freaks you out or you don't think you'll be ready by then, the following test is August 18th @ Regional Emergency Operations Center, 5195 Spectrum Blvd, Reno. Both test the time is 9am. If you need help studying...I recommend this site: https://hamstudy.org/tech2018. I'd recommend taking the practice test, see how you do, and then look at the answers you got wrong. Keep taking it over and over until your familiar with the question pool. Alternatively you can print out the flash cards or buy a book...

Cheers everyone~
Thanks for the follow-up info and hope your partner is doing okay now. Since you know the Gem hunting places, can you PM me which ones would be the best for a day trip.

I'd like to also encourage those that do not have a HAM license to look into it. I also have a instructional book that anyone can borrow. Connie and I got our HAM license after a year-ish of Overlanding and using (and struggling with) short distant FRS radios. We found that the HAM is the best way to go.

Thanks again Brooke for the follow-up.

Reactions: DaveD