Reno area

• HTML tutorial

Thenorthremembers

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Modesto,Ca
Member #

I'm going to visit my parents in Fallon,nv and I'm hoping to get some tips on a couple trails to run. Ideally near Virginia city, Fallon, or Reno. possibly pyramid lake area. Looking for a trail with a view where we can make a fire, cook lunch, and relax. my dad's truck is a full size with road tires (but does have low range 4wd) so hoping for a trail that would accommodate him but if not maybe we'll do it solo. TIA

Slamson00

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA
Member #

A few nice trails to look up in that area of Virginia City is Orphir and Jumbo grade road. I haven't taken these yet but from what I have seen on youtube they look doable to all high clearance vehicles.

Also look into the Old Como Rd trail over by Dayton, you can link that trail up to the Sunset Pass trail and then head back over by Johnson valley and make a loop back to Carson City/Dayton area. Old Como Rd was pretty washed out from last winter when I ran it this past summer so take your time if driving it. Very rocky and not the best for vehicles with more street oriented tires. Although when I ran it the section of trail to the Old town of Como was pretty easy if you take it from Dayton. Shouldn't be an issue for a full size rig. After the old town of Como is where it got more sketchy as far as trail conditions goes.

I don't know much out by Pyramid Lake area but have been meaning to get out there more. There is great route out there past Nixon that leads you out to the old Nightengale Mine. I have been out there and its absolutely gorgeous. Many lunch stops with fantastic views. If it hasn't rained for a bit it should be passable for larger rigs if driven carefully. If you make it over the ridge to Nightengale Mine you can usually find a couple herds of wild horses out there which makes for great lunch time viewing. Even if you don't get over the ridge, and just drive along the dry lake bed, gorgeous scenery to be had up the valley.

Next time you go post up, if I can go would love to join if my schedule allows.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
This was a good one day trip, lots of wild horses to see.

Attachments

Sierratough

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Reno NV
First Name
scott
Last Name
weiby
Member #

Cool I will have to check it out! I may start a local Reno meet and greet on here if there isn't one already.

Scott

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Cool I will have to check it out! I may start a local Reno meet and greet on here if there isn't one already.

Scott
There are some Reno guys that met last year and went on a trip once a month. I’ll try to find out who was in that and get back to you

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Thenorthremembers

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Modesto,Ca
Member #

Thanks for the suggestion! We did the jumbo grade trail and though it a few little technical spots, nothing not done easily and slow. Ill check those other routes for next time and give a shout and make it a party

Reactions: Slamson00