removing rear seat to install fridge

• HTML tutorial

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I have a 2016 Tundra dual cab. I also have 2 dogs.. 1 55 lbs and the other is 75. I intend on removing the rear seat and building a platform for the pups so they have more room to move around to get comfy..When I do this, I've considered the purchase of a fridge.. If I do, I want to make it so the top of the fridge will be flush with the top of the bedding or the solid platform beneath it. my question is, will this work? Having the fridge, on the cab floor, behind either front seat? I'm not sure if the fridge needs a certain amount of air space around it so as to not overheat it. Has anybody done anything similar? is it advisable? Thanks.

Reactions: Sparksalot and Pete

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I don't have a Tundra but, I did remove my back seats to install a fridge back there. Main thing to keep in mind would be keep the vents free so it wont over heat. I made my platform the same height as the top of the fridge. I used grated steel shelving for the platform with a layer of carpet on top of them.

Refrigerator.jpeg

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I don't have a Tundra but, I did remove my back seats to install a fridge back there. Main thing to keep in mind would be keep the vents free so it wont over heat. I made my platform the same height as the top of the fridge. I used grated steel shelving for the platform with a layer of carpet on top of them.

View attachment 148747

YES.. Like that.. Thank you.. what size is your fridge? I'm thinking I'd like about a 35-45 qt but not sure on measurements yet.. Until I remove the rear seat.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I have a Alpicool CF 35 ltr / 37 quart it has worked great for us. We got it a year ago and use it all the time one of our best investments for under $300..

Last edited:

dpurdy85

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Purdy
Member #

A Fridge is going to eat up all the space for the dogs in a Tundra Double cab. Below is a Dometic CFX 65 and it takes up a good amount of space on the drivers side. Removing the seat will gain some more space but I don't think it will be enough for 2 dogs.

edit: a crew max would be a different story though

IMG_0125.jpg

Reactions: Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

A Fridge is going to eat up all the space for the dogs in a Tundra Double cab. Below is a Dometic CFX 65 and it takes up a good amount of space on the drivers side. Removing the seat will gain some more space but I don't think it will be enough for 2 dogs.

edit: a crew max would be a different story though

View attachment 148870

CFX 65 is 28.50 x 17.90 x 22.00 inches and an Alpicool C30 is 22.6"x14.4"x13.8", so its a bit smaller.. I'm just not sure which fridge brand I want to go with yet, keeping cost within "reason".. Soooo many available.. Like I said above, I want the top of the fridge flush, so I know that'll limit me to what size I go with..Plus, Im going to pull out ALL of the rear seat..May even pull the DuHa that I have too.. We'll see..

Last edited:

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I have a Alpicool CF 35 ltr / 27 quart it has worked great for us. We got it a year ago and use it all the time one of our best investments for under $300..

Awesome and thank you.. I've been reading reviews on the various Alpicool models.. Great to hear yours has been a great investment

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Awesome and thank you.. I've been reading reviews on the various Alpicool models.. Great to hear yours has been a great investment
I just noticed I did a typo above it is 35 ltr and 37 qts not 27 qts.

For your set up you might want to go with something that is low because if it is to high and you hit the brakes you might end up with dogs wrapped around your head or them going into the windshield. With a lower platform they will just bounce off the back of the front seats.

We went with the 35ltr because our ice chest we have been using for years was a 35 qt. and we always had enough room in it.. We figured since there would be no ice taking up space it should be plenty big and it has worked fine for us. One thing we do for convenience is put all our food and some drinks in the fridge and we use a smaller ice chest for drinks just behind the center console so they are easier to reach when we are driving. On trips longer than two days in the wilderness by the third day the ice is melted and will be in the fridge..

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I’m curious why you’re thinking the platform needs to be flush with the top of the frig? Are you trying to expand the area the doggies have?

in my own Tahoe, I deleted the 60 portion of the 60/40 seat. Then put in a dog bed on the floor. My puppy is tall enough to sit on the bed/floor and see out. I still have the other part of the seat for a passenger or to strap a storage crate into.

6A764B8E-C7B6-4CDC-BCD3-0E7B61257927.jpegA3E7A4B4-E9B7-46EA-8EE3-B307960472E6.jpeg

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I also have a Tundra dbl cab and am trying to figure out how to eliminate the 40% rear passenger seat. I would then have enough room to mount my fridge length wise front to back. This would allow me to be able to carry 3 passengers with me with the fridge in place. The problem is...The 60% side actually bolts to the 40% side so if the 40 side is removed, the 60 side has nothing holding it up or any attachment to the vehicle on one side.

So I have to either fab up some type of bracket (I don't weld) or say screw it and hack the bracket off the 40 side seat and be done with it. I am actually leaning towards hacking the bracket as I believe there is/will be plenty of replacement seats available if/when I decide to sell the truck. An it would be a easy and quick solution...albeit kinda sketch hacking up a brand new seat. I was also thinking of taking it to an upholstery shop to see if that part of the seat can be removed somehow.

I have this fridge and it has been excellent..

CSI 52Qt Fridge/Freezer and Cover Combo $459.95 Free Shipping

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I’m curious why you’re thinking the platform needs to be flush with the top of the frig? Are you trying to expand the area the doggies have?

in my own Tahoe, I deleted the 60 portion of the 60/40 seat. Then put in a dog bed on the floor. My puppy is tall enough to sit on the bed/floor and see out. I still have the other part of the seat for a passenger or to strap a storage crate into.

View attachment 149249View attachment 149250

As it is now, both dogs can't lay comfortably on the whole of the back seat unless they are close to being stacked up..lol..Or one is laying nearly full length of the seat while the other is forced into the corner, sitting up, looking out the window..So yes, if I can make it flush, they can have a rather large area.. Very similar to a Goose Gear rear seat delete set up,Tacoma Double Cab 2nd Row Seat Delete for 2nd and 3rd Generations ..And with that, I can still have access under the "deck" for other items..Except I have the Tundra..

Reactions: Sparksalot

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I just noticed I did a typo above it is 35 ltr and 37 qts not 27 qts.

For your set up you might want to go with something that is low because if it is to high and you hit the brakes you might end up with dogs wrapped around your head or them going into the windshield. With a lower platform they will just bounce off the back of the front seats.

We went with the 35ltr because our ice chest we have been using for years was a 35 qt. and we always had enough room in it.. We figured since there would be no ice taking up space it should be plenty big and it has worked fine for us. One thing we do for convenience is put all our food and some drinks in the fridge and we use a smaller ice chest for drinks just behind the center console so they are easier to reach when we are driving. On trips longer than two days in the wilderness by the third day the ice is melted and will be in the fridge..

Exactly.. The lower height the better it would be.. I'm also basing the size on the cooler we generally use.. Right now, it stores on the floor behind the driver seat {I'm short haha.. 5'5"}..I'm not sure what size it is in qts, but I know the measurements..

Also, the good thing about the Tundra rear floor area, It is pretty close to flat. Once the seat and DuHa storage box is removed, the floor has about a 2" step up to it which is under the seat. So that 2" would come in handy for the height allowance to the fridge unit..

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
If you can get a steel shelving unit in there they are easy to build and you can even put a hinge on them if you want to lift them up. Also you can put carpet on top so the dogs will have something to grip into. All you have to do is install the legs pull your measurement and chop off the bottom of the leg to the height you want. I also put a screw or rivet into the leg so it wont fall out when moved around or lifted up. I use plastic plugs from Lowe's for the top of the legs and 1 inch rubber pieces for the bottom. I can do a whole platform in the back of a Tahoe in about an hours time depending on beer breaks... lol My units are held in place by 1 inch tie-down straps to the original seat mounts.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Charles M, I see your interior pic above.. There'd be no way I could fit that type of rack in there. I intend on building a hanging cabinet off the back wall that will attach to where the seat back attaches.. It'll only be about 4-5" deep and maybe 20" tall.. It'll be for items that I don't always have to get to but can quickly if I needed to. I have our old queen size memory foam pillow top for the dogs bed. Going to have Amish make me a canvas cover bag for it when I get it cut to size..

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Charles M, I see your interior pic above.. There'd be no way I could fit that type of rack in there. I intend on building a hanging cabinet off the back wall that will attach to where the seat back attaches.. It'll only be about 4-5" deep and maybe 20" tall.. It'll be for items that I don't always have to get to but can quickly if I needed to. I have our old queen size memory foam pillow top for the dogs bed. Going to have Amish make me a canvas cover bag for it when I get it cut to size..
These racks come in a lot of different sizes.. Mine is made out of two shelf units that are 2x4 feet and one unit up front is 2x3 feet.